Cobra Getting The Short End Of The Stick? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Cobra Getting The Short End Of The Stick?

Speed Racer
06-16-2004, 09:17 AM
Why does it seem that Cobra is "getting the short end of the stick" from Hasbro when it comes to vehicles and playsets in the new line? The Joe Team has several vehicles, two of which are jets, a headquarters, and the Mobile Command Center which counts as both a vehicle and a playset. Cobra, on the other hand only has the Mountain playset which many collectors seem to hate, small vehicles, one jet, and no headquarters. Hasbro needs to reissue the Terror Drome and Cobra Night Raven in the worst way. I mean come on Hasbro, I know Cobra are the bad guys but help them even the odds a little. :D

sirmac31
06-16-2004, 09:21 AM
i agree with you cobra needs more playsets and armybuilders.

code red shockwave
06-16-2004, 09:29 AM
I do agree with you on everything except the part where you say COBRA has no headquarters besides the COBRA mountain. It does have one, and it's called the Terror Drome.

yojoeshow
06-16-2004, 09:31 AM
Maybe its because the Joes are the main part of GIJoe. But I too would like a Terror Dome.

Scrapiron-Scavanger
06-16-2004, 09:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by code red shockwave:
I do agree with you on everything except the part where you say COBRA has no headquarters besides the COBRA mountain. It does have one, and it's called the Terror Drome.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But they have not re-released it as part of the new series. Speed Racer did say

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Hasbro needs to reissue the Terror Drome and Cobra Night Raven in the worst way. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Speed Racer
06-16-2004, 09:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by code red shockwave:
I do agree with you on everything except the part where you say COBRA has no headquarters besides the COBRA mountain. It does have one, and it's called the Terror Drome.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm talking about new line that's currently available in stores. That's why I said Hasbro needs to reissue the Terror Drome.

Darko
06-16-2004, 09:51 AM
I'd love a TD reissue, but I doubt it will ever happen.

thebigzakbowski
06-16-2004, 10:08 AM
it would be great but I doubt it will happen. It would probably cost 250 in stores and wouldnt sell very well, so its not worth it to hasbro

Speed Racer
06-16-2004, 10:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thebigzakbowski:
it would be great but I doubt it will happen. It would probably cost 250 in stores and wouldnt sell very well, so its not worth it to hasbro<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know, the new Mobile Command center is one helluva chunck of plastic and Hasbro took a gamble with that. As for the price, I could see a new Terror Drome retailing for closer to $120.00 than $250.00.

Deogg
06-16-2004, 10:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> i agree with you cobra needs more playsets and armybuilders <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Playsets? Absolutely. Vehicles too.
Army builders? Absolutely not. The Joes need the "green shirts" army builders. Cobra has plenty in that category.

But, then again, if you look all the way back, even to the original 82's, Cobra has ALWAYS gotten the short end of the stick, across the board:
FIGURES:
1982: 13 Joes, 4 Cobras (2 carded release, 2 mail in)
1983: 12-5 (2 carry overs, CC and Bludd)
1984: 11-9
1985: 18-10
1986: 16-11

VEHICLES/PLAYSETS:
1982: 7-1 (if you count the Sears Exclusive Missile Base)
1983: 12 (including a playset)-4
1984: 12-6
1985: 14 (including the Flagg)-7 (9 if you include the exclusive SMS and CAT)
1986: 8-8(including the Terror Drome)

I COULD go on, but I wanted to keep the post relatively short. But at least you can see that across the board, Cobra HAS been getting shafted. They DO have all the army builders, but when it comes to overall figures and vehicles, they still come up short.

The only thing close to an armybuilder the Joes have had are the 1994 30th Anniv action team figs. They've never had a TRUE armybuilder, but the Action Team is as close as they've gotten. The Joes need the armybuilders a lot more than Cobra does.

Crimson Immortal
06-16-2004, 10:57 AM
No your right,its a BIG PROBLEM!

Hasbro has been shelling out GI Joe vehicles in mass's, and if you notice the Cobra stuff his very cheap and small compared to the much superior GI JOE vehicles.

I think it has to do with because of the Terrorist in real life after 9/11. They figure'that since GI JOE are presenting the USA(Good guys), the good guys they have to have more and better stuff to stop the bad guys"!Essentially dumbing out/down both the villains and the toyline in general.

(Somethin to that effect)

The Cobra vehicles are utter crap,small and/or weakly armed and armored, moronic looking things.GI Joe on the other hand have much better armed and armored vehicles and are actually looking very real lately.

I buy alot of the Chap Mei stuff for GI JOe like their Mobat-like Abrams tanks which some I use for Cobra(repainted) and some for the Joe's.Their blue colored Police line of items are very good. Like their Fang-like Helecopters or Police armored cars they have. All of which I use for Cobra and along with their Black camo Chinnooks for Cobra.

*Think they have out now an F18 in Toys r US!

I built up a nice invasion force for my Cobra forces using the Chap Mei products.Which vehicle wise I say is superior to the new hasbro releases.I dont buy any of the new Hasbro trash for Cobra or even GI Joe except maybe 1 or 2 items.

[ June 16, 2004: Message edited by: Crimson Immortal ]

danyanda
06-16-2004, 11:59 AM
Cobra has always gotten fewer figures and vehicles and will continue to get fewer because KIDS BUY MORE GOOD GUYS. Bottom line.

Deogg
06-16-2004, 12:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I built up a nice invasion force for my Cobra forces using the Chap Mei products.Which vehicle wise I say is superior to the new hasbro releases.I dont buy any of the new Hasbro trash for Cobra or even GI Joe except maybe 1 or 2 items.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vehicles and playsets are one area which Hasbro is getting absolutely schooled worse than the LA Lakers. To get some really good vehicles, you don't HAVE to get the pricey BBI stuff. There's some really good stuff being made by the off-brands or the Chap Mei stuff.

And as cool as the upcoming Thunderwing is, the TRU F-18 is just that much cooler.

These off-brands are showing people that just because they don't have the BBI logo or the GI Joe logo on them does NOT mean they're second rate.

curmudgeon
06-16-2004, 12:32 PM
I agree with a lot of what is being said, but Joe army builders...yuck. Greenshirts to me were a dumb idea made from the cartoon that I'd never apply to my own stuff. I like to think of GI Joe as an elite force with members culled from other branches of the military. With a bunch of nameless faceless legions it just cheapens it. I understand the greenshirts, at least according to the new comic, are being trained to be regular Joes, but I don't like the idea of them going into combat as joes. I think they should just be trainees, not infantry.

However, if it made other people happy to have them, I'd be all for it. I'd just pretend they were regular army or something, or just not buy them.

james strickland
06-16-2004, 02:17 PM
I think that cobra gets the short end because they are always on the move. I now every other cartoon cobra had a differnt base so they would be constanly haveing too movbe eguipment if they had tons of stuff. the other reason is because cobra is mostly army builders except for cobra commander, sephentor, destro, baroness, firefly, storm shadow, major bludd, croc master, big boa,headman, gristle,and the dreadnoks most of the rest of cobra soldiers are soldiersor army builders.

danyanda
06-16-2004, 02:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by curmudgeon:
I'd just pretend they were regular army or something, or just not buy them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always thought that what the greenshirts were (at least in the cartoons and the earlier comics). Regular army who at times worked with the joes (aka the treasury incident in the early comics).

Dreadnok4life
06-16-2004, 06:06 PM
I don't think Cobra has gotten "the short end". If you consider the history of the line, it seems Cobra had an equal vehicle for the major releases. I.E. USS Flagg Vs. Terror Drome, Sky Striker Vs. Rattler, Tomahawk Vs. Mamba, Snow Cat Vs. WOLF, Conquest X-30 Vs. Night Raven, etc.. I could go on a long time. I think the quality for both sides is evident.

As far as the figures go, G.I. Joe consists of all individual characters / figures. Cobra has less individuals but plenty of generic troops such as Cobra Trooper, Crimson Guard, Techno-Vipers, etc. Plus they have affiliations with Drednoks and Iron Grenadiers. So in my humble opinion, I think Cobra has fared pretty well when you consider them the enemy of the toyline's namesake GI JOE.

yo-man2
06-16-2004, 07:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by curmudgeon:
I agree with a lot of what is being said, but Joe army builders...yuck. Greenshirts to me were a dumb idea made from the cartoon that I'd never apply to my own stuff. I like to think of GI Joe as an elite force with members culled from other branches of the military. With a bunch of nameless faceless legions it just cheapens it. I understand the greenshirts, at least according to the new comic, are being trained to be regular Joes, but I don't like the idea of them going into combat as joes. I think they should just be trainees, not infantry.

However, if it made other people happy to have them, I'd be all for it. I'd just pretend they were regular army or something, or just not buy them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

word..........joe is a highly trained special missions force..........not a giant army.............

yo-man2
06-16-2004, 07:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dreadnok4life:
I don't think Cobra has gotten "the short end". If you consider the history of the line, it seems Cobra had an equal vehicle for the major releases. I.E. USS Flagg Vs. Terror Drome, Sky Striker Vs. Rattler, Tomahawk Vs. Mamba, Snow Cat Vs. WOLF, Conquest X-30 Vs. Night Raven, etc.. I could go on a long time. I think the quality for both sides is evident.

As far as the figures go, G.I. Joe consists of all individual characters / figures. Cobra has less individuals but plenty of generic troops such as Cobra Trooper, Crimson Guard, Techno-Vipers, etc. Plus they have affiliations with Drednoks and Iron Grenadiers. So in my humble opinion, I think Cobra has fared pretty well when you consider them the enemy of the toyline's namesake GI JOE.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

joe hq vs terror drome
joe 92 hq vs eco lab thingy
joe reissue hq vs RISSUE TERROR DROME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crimson Immortal
06-16-2004, 08:01 PM
Its not a question of "Then" its question "NOW!That is the point of the topic and discussion here!

And NOW for Cobra sucks really bad,actaully hasbro as whole !

Hasbro back in the 80's made nice vehicles for Cobra where you knew you had to buy alot of them to army build obviously.Its important to remember this. That with Cobra,you always have to buy more.

And the stuff made back then kicked major ass,and looked like Cobra can and could take over the world through Conquering and destroying(ie War)now it looks like Cobra plans on making the enemy laugh to death at the seight of their tiny impotent vehicles,lol!Its so laughable and pathetic its not funny.

So when hasbro made maybe like 4 Cobra vehicles and maybe like 6 Joe vehicles(same goes with the figures),you knew that Cobra is in multiples of the same thing.Why because Cobra has Armies,Divions,Hords and Legions of men and vehicles. With GI Joe they had maybe 1-4 of the same vehicles as a rule,you never seen them riding in waves of tanks and other vehicles that where the same.The joes where a small outfit against an enemy that was threatening World Domination and all out Planetary inter-continental War.

Speed Racer
06-16-2004, 08:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dreadnok4life:
I don't think Cobra has gotten "the short end". If you consider the history of the line, it seems Cobra had an equal vehicle for the major releases. I.E. USS Flagg Vs. Terror Drome, Sky Striker Vs. Rattler, Tomahawk Vs. Mamba, Snow Cat Vs. WOLF, Conquest X-30 Vs. Night Raven, etc.. I could go on a long time. I think the quality for both sides is evident.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll admit that Cobra fared a little better with the vintage line but the Joes still came out ahead. You can’t really compare the FLAGG to the Terror Drome. The Terror Drome would seem more comparable to the Joe Headquarters, primarily the “83” version. Both groups had a good selection of vehicles but where was Cobra’s answer to the Defiant Space Shuttle, Mobile Command Center, and USS FLAGG? If Hasbro was willing to put that much money and plastic into an aircraft carrier, they could have at least given Cobra some type of super submarine or something similar.

Fireflyanon
06-16-2004, 08:15 PM
They have produced a good number of Cobra vehicles I don't see them getting s short shrift. Now if your complaint is the crappy vehicles most Joes vehicles are as well. I don't really like any of the new vehicles.

Remember that Cobra is a terrorist organization so arming them 1/1 completely with the joes and making them as strong as a country doesn't really fit into the theme and certainly not arming them like a superpower. I must be one of the only people who thinks terror dromes are worthless. They would be easy targets and easily identifiable so they would be marked as soon as they appeared.

Speed Racer
06-16-2004, 08:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Crimson Immortal:
Its not a question of "Then" its question "NOW!That is the point of the topic and discussion here!

And NOW for Cobra sucks really bad,actaully hasbro as whole !

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hasbro seems to be making the same mistake, though not quite as bad, that Mattel is with the current Batman and Justice League lines. Both of them are full of heroes and variants of heroes but the villains are being shipped only one or two per case. Even if Mattel says the line is directed at kids and this is why there are so many heroes, who are the kids supposed to buy for the good guys to fight with??? The new Joe line is similar in the sense that heroes have all of these cool playsets and vehicles, while the bad guys are left with hardly anything. It always amazes me how some toy companies are so oblivious to something so obvious.

Neoscott
06-17-2004, 10:49 AM
Yeah ,
I am sorry but the best cobra stuff was in the 80s i know most kids i played with usally had more cobras than gijoes.

The best cobra toy was of course the Terror Drome . I have one up right now .
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5903623273

I have a Cobra Mountain playset I got when target cleared them out and i am sorry it doesnt stand a chance next to the terror drome . The great cobra toys are gone for now but Hasbro is getting better and better so who knows ?

Neoscott

yo-man2
06-17-2004, 11:47 AM
re-release the terror drome.......start the campaign.......

maybe kerry will support it....but then he'd also support retiring it too

maybe bush would support it.....it could lauch mini nuc-u-lar rockets

Deogg
06-17-2004, 02:57 PM
And another thread bites the dust. Way to go.

Dreadnok4life
06-17-2004, 06:28 PM

Yes I do read and understand English. But thanks for the translation anyway. I still think Cobra is getting just as much love, or lack of love depending on your point of view, from Hasbro. I interpreted the initial post to this thread as meaning Hasbro releases more vehicles and figures for the Joe Team as compared to Cobra. If you look at the recent vehicles that have been released, they are fairly even in numbers.

For example according to Yo Joe.com, in 2004 Hasbro released;

Joe Cobra
Defense Mech Pulverizer
Tiger Hawk Night Adder
Piranha Attack Boat APC Transport
Tiger Storm Copter Venom Striker

For 2003 there was 19 Joe related vehicles and playsets to 11 Cobra related vehicles and playsets. Joe has more, but not that many more considering the number of repaints and re-issues.

Now as far as quality, I think the majority of the new vehicles have been mediocre or worse with a few exceptions that I won't bore you with.

As far as my U.S.S. Flagg Vs. Terror Drome comparison. I did that because I think both playsets are the "ultimate" playset in the original line. I thought the Joe Headquarters was nice, but not comparable in quality to the Terror Drome. I would have loved to see a huge Cobra Submarine or Battleship but we all know that didn't happen.

Finally I would love to see the Terror Drome re-issued. However it would probably be $150 and I don't know how many people would be willing to shell out that much cash, other than us diehards here.

I have complaints about the new toys just like everyone else does. However I am very happy the line is still going, unlike some of my Yo Joe comrades. It will never be 1983 again and this is the new reality. I think some of the stuff has been really cool, and some has sucked. But I think it's fantastic that after 20 years of collecting this stuff, I still get to go Joe hunting on the weekend. I hope I get another 20 years.

yo-man2
06-17-2004, 06:44 PM
why do you think 150 for the t drome......

no avac...and a t drome sans firebat............would prob be 60-70 dollars

Dreadnok4life
06-18-2004, 04:58 PM
why do you think 150 for the t drome......

Just a guess. The Mobile Command Center was $59.99 when it was re-leased. At least that's what the price was at my local TRU. And I believe that is almost twice what it originally cost.

I wouldn't want to see a Terror Drome Re-Issue without at least the Firebat or some type of equivalent.