99.9% Complete [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : 99.9% Complete

TJH
05-25-2004, 08:28 AM
I'm still new here so this has probably been covered before, but is anyone else frustrated by the ridiculous practice of sellers on Ebay of describing figures as "99% complete?" I was looking at a version one Flint today, which as I'm sure you all know comes with a backpack and gun. Somehow the backpack was missing and yet ole Flint was still "99%" there. If he also lost his gun, would he be "98%" complete? My brother had a version 1 Gung-Ho years ago that had his head chewed off by our family dog. Could I sell a headless marine and describe him as "97%" complete?

Speaking of which, a related problem occured when I was looking at a figure the other day described as "minty, except for a slightly broken crotch." Uhh, dosen't one cancel the other out? Should we as a group not patronize sellers who write such bizarre, misleading descriptions, or is this just a minor annoyance that nothing can be done about?

Thanks for listening, guys. (Or for reading, I guess.)

Deogg
05-25-2004, 08:58 AM
Anyhting short of 100% complete is incomplete, pure and simple. If only people like ssgski on ebay could get that idea. He is notorious for having figs that are complete (minus stuff).

The same holds true for figure condition. The fig could have dead mint everything, but if that crotch is broken, then it is NOT a mint figure.

For the most part, a lot of us on here know the people on ebay that pull this kinda stuff (ssgski and his complete (minus) figs, and buck_60_wheelstand and his fake mickey cc proto), but calling out other sellers that do this is always a good heads-up!

red25thta
05-26-2004, 02:56 PM
I got a dead mint MM CC complete minus his gun and his right thumb and I think there is some paintware on his helmet? Other than that he is 99% complete and mint.
Oh and I put a #1 on the top of his head so he is a prototype and the starting bid is $1,000. Or BIN for $2,000. I am willing to talk to (on your dime of course) for hour's at a time explaining why you should give me your money.

gunless
05-26-2004, 03:08 PM
even better are th epeople who list the items as complete in the title and then when you look at the auction, it says complete EXCEPT for.... or complete MINUS.

I hate those people...

tommysalo
05-26-2004, 04:42 PM
Red I'll give you 1350$ right now before you put that mega rare CC prototype on Ebay? Sound cool? You take personal checks right?

On topic: I am guessing that people are useing the "99% complete" phrase in the auction title to attact more search responces. Although it isn't something I do, I understand why it is done and don't mind it so much as long as the item description leaves no doubt as to what is up for auction. The "minty" mint thing has driven me insane! Mint is mint is mint, there is no variable to the adjective mint! Years ago I actually got kicked off Ebay when someone(different account than the present) in Sweden sold me a rare Faith No More bootleg CD. The CD was "minty mint" and played well according to him. It played on my 2000$ home CD player but not the car player. It had so many scratched on it that I can't understand how it could be called mint. I sent off a few nasty emails, that I actually took the time to translate into Swedish by the way, and poof, kicked off Ebay. My only victory was that the seller was also soon kicked off Ebay. Sorry for the rant "minty mint" just gets under my skin.

thebigzakbowski
05-26-2004, 04:54 PM
you never see a 99% complete heavymetal missing gun

well i did once on ebay but you guys know what i mean its always missing the money piece

red25thta
05-26-2004, 05:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tommysalo:
Red I'll give you 1350$ right now before you put that mega rare CC prototype on Ebay? Sound cool? You take personal checks right?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I Always take check's. And ship the same day I get them!

Serious. It give's honest sellers a bad name. Like when I sold my Tomahawk. Complete down to the "steering tabs" to his MIC. Every e-mail I got asked about it. My standered response was. Yes everything. If you opened the Box you might not find all these pieces.

Deogg
05-26-2004, 05:23 PM
Mint except for broken croth=NOT mint.

Complete (minus whatever)=NOT complete.

And what that guy did to that mickey CC should just be criminal.

The Faceless Master
05-26-2004, 08:37 PM
In my opinion, let's say Flint v.1 or any figure for that matter that comes with only two accessories, his gun & his backpack.

If he's missing his gun, he is only 50% complete. If you are browsing eBay & see the item title:

"1985 GIJOE FLINT 50% COMPLETE WEAPONS"

Would you even consider clicking on it to see it?? HELL NO!!! If you wanna be @n@l about it, yes 50% complete is the truth, but thats exactly what the picture is for, for you to determine yourself how complete it is, if it IS the correct weapon they are armed with & to cross reference it with the wonderful resource known to us as yojoe.com

Deceitful saying "99% complete", maybe - but people are on eBay to sell stuff for as much as they can get it, not really to win the "Scout of the Year" honors.
Bottom line is - nobody is putting a gun to your head to bid on these items that are labelled wrong. If you dont think that 99% is honest, then dont bid on it. :rolleyes:

Xerofall
05-27-2004, 05:16 AM
Actually when I see 99% complete in the auction's title that's an instant indication that a gun or backpack is missing, so it helps me move past the clutter of clicking every Flint figure auction I see if I'm looking for a complete one.

If I just need Flint's head and I spot a "100% Complete Flint" I'll more than likely not bid, because I'll be outbid in no time, plus I don't need a 100% complete Flint.

To me it has the opposite effect, it helps me navigate the auctions better when I see stuff like that so I don't waste my time.

That's just my opinion.

yo-man2
05-27-2004, 09:27 AM
i have complete mint joes....minus the legs upper body crotch arms and head.......in perfect rubbery condition 5.00 each

i have bats and cg and nv and avacs

army build now

action-figures.ca
05-27-2004, 11:13 AM
I agree with you as that is what I do. The worst I will do is describe the figure as mint (if the actual figure is mint), but if a weapon has damage I will detail that in the auction listing. Hey you have to read the actual listing as the title is to catch potential bidders.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Xerofall:
Actually when I see 99% complete in the auction's title that's an instant indication that a gun or backpack is missing, so it helps me move past the clutter of clicking every Flint figure auction I see if I'm looking for a complete one.

If I just need Flint's head and I spot a "100% Complete Flint" I'll more than likely not bid, because I'll be outbid in no time, plus I don't need a 100% complete Flint.

To me it has the opposite effect, it helps me navigate the auctions better when I see stuff like that so I don't waste my time.

That's just my opinion.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>