how much do you generally pay for c8+ moc japan figs? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : how much do you generally pay for c8+ moc japan figs?

Bison25
06-10-2004, 10:14 AM
how much are you all usually willing to pay for higher grade condition f/c/b figures from the 1986 japan line? besides the zartan which normally sells for more...but for like cobra commander, firefly, baroness, destro etc?

The Superfly
06-10-2004, 10:55 AM
I've been picking these up pretty cheap lately, like under $10 apiece but those are secondary characters.

Of course what I'm willing to pay and what other are willing to pay differs. I've seen those characters go for anywhere between $15 - $200 on eBay...I'd pay $20 - $50 myself depending on the character.

starrcommand
06-10-2004, 11:20 AM
I dont collect to much foreign stuff. Since the ones you are talking about are all replica's of the original I pay nothing. I just buy them loose or MOC US versions. Now if there is somesort of difference to the figure like a repaint or something exclusive to their market I would pick up. However the vehicles I would buy.

FireFox91
06-10-2004, 12:05 PM
I have a few of these figures that I purchased over the past few years. Here are the prices I paid.

Cobra Commander $48
Cobra Officer $45
Cobra Soldier $45
Ripper $10
Stalker $35

All of them are C8 or better cards IMO.

Sephiroth
06-10-2004, 12:05 PM
I have purchased at least one each of every Japanese-carded Joe and Cobra figure that was released.

Here's what I would pay on average for the figures you mentioned:

Cobra Commander $50
Firefly $75
Baroness $35
Destro $45

Ect...

Duke $50
Scarlett $40
Snake Eyes $90
Zartan $75
Cobra Soldier $40
Cobra Officer $35
Flint $40
Major Bludd $35
Shipwreck $40
Roadblock $25
Rock n' ROll $25
Breaker $25
Stalker $30
Snow Job $40
Tripwire $22
Torpedo $25
Gung-Ho $35
Buzzer $25
Torch $25
Ripper $25

Bison25
06-10-2004, 12:54 PM
why did you say they are replicas? i was under the impression they were the same as the american figures just re packaged?

dockingbay97
06-10-2004, 01:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by starrcommand:
I dont collect to much foreign stuff. Since the ones you are talking about are all replica's of the original I pay nothing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't call these replicas. They may be the same figure but they are not replicas. I love the card and box art. I have a Zartan, a FANG and a Skystriker in the Japanese packaging.

KrymsynGardImmoral
06-10-2004, 01:23 PM
I had to pay over $90 to get a nice destro last year on eBay. Others i have traded or paid in the $25-$35 area.

The Superfly
06-10-2004, 03:07 PM
Is there an actual checklist of these somewhere? Anyone know which Joes were carded in Japan?

The Faceless Master
06-10-2004, 05:08 PM
Man, when I used to live in Asia back in the mid-90s, I would find Japanese carded items of Baroness, Firefly, Cobra Officer, Cobra Trooper, Cobra Commander - all just collecting dust in Mom&Pop stores being sold for about $5. Yep you read it correctly $5 stinking dollars only.

Am really kicking myself right now for not thinking ahead & buying them back then. :mad:

Sephiroth
06-10-2004, 09:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Superfly:
Is there an actual checklist of these somewhere? Anyone know which Joes were carded in Japan?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is the most complete Japanese-GI Joe item list that you will find. I have compiled it from my own collection and with help from many other Japanese-GI Joe collectors.

G-1 Grunt (Duke) (Long/cuffed sleeve varaitions)
G-2 Flint
G-3 Snake Eyes
G-4 Stalker
G-5 Scarlett
G-6 Road Block
G-7 Mick (Rock’n Roll)
G-8 Breaker
G-9 Tripwire
G-10 Gung-Ho
G-11 Shipwreck
G-12 Torpedo
G-13 Snow Job
G-14 Skystriker
G-14P Ace
G-15 Flying Dragon (Dragonfly)
G-15P Wild Bill or G-4 Stalker (variation)
G-16 VAMP Jeep
G-16D Clutch (tan ver.)
G-17 Polar Battle Bear
G-18 Rapid Fire Bike (RAM)
G-19 Little Harry (Sky Hawk VTOL)
G-20 (???)
G-21 Found (Mutt) & Junkyard (unreleased)
G-22 Gray (Spirit) (unreleased)
G-23 Ripcord (unreleased)
G-24 Recondo (unreleased)
G-25 Blowtorch (unreleased)
G-26 Quick Kick (unreleased)
G-27 Wolverine
G-27D Cover Girl
G-28 SHARK (unreleased)
G-28P Deep-Six (unreleased)
G-29 Snow Cat
G-29D Frostbite
G-30 Silver Mirage Bike
[1] Barbecue (mail-in promotion)
[2] Alpine (mail-in promotion)

E-1 Cobra Commander
E-2 Destro
E-3 Major Bludd
E-4 Baroness
E-5 Firefly
E-6 Cobra Officer x3
E-7 Cobra Soldier
E-8 Zartan
E-9 Buzzer
E-10 Ripper
E-11 Torch
E-12 HISS
E-12D HISS Driver
E-13 Gyro (FANG)
E-14 Night Attacker (Stinger)
E-14D Night Attacker Driver
E-15 Storm Shadow (unreleased)
E-16 Crimson Guard (unreleased)
E-17 Tomax & Xamot (unreleased)
E-18 Tele-Viper (unreleased)
E-19 Snow Serpent (unreleased)
E-20 Rattler
E-20P Wild Weasel
E-21 Ferret ATV
E-22 ASP (unreleased)
E-23 Flight Pod
E-24 CLAW (unreleased)
[3] EELS (mail-in promotion)

Notes:

Except for the Duke variation, there is absolutely no difference between the Japanese and US GI Joe figures. They are exactly the same, and may even be US overstock. The vehicles are exactly the same as well; however, some of the sticker sheets have been modified. For example: All US Flags and star & stripes emblems have been changed to the GI Joe Eagle emblem. The stickers are a bit more glossy, but appear to more durable than US stickers.

Each figure comes packaged with a GI Joe/Cobra Sticker and a warranty card.

So far as I can tell, there is no one figure that was released that is harder to find that the next. There was a substantial amount of each released in Japan. Popular figures command higher prices and are generally kept in collections rather than sold, but they're definitely out there.

Japanese-released vehicles are a different story, however. Their production numbers were much smaller. From my experience, Cobra vehicles were easy to find while GI Joe vehicles proved a bit more difficult. The the most difficult vehicle to find is G-27/G-27D, Wolverine w/ Cover Girl.

Most G-15's came packaged with G-15P, Wild Bill. For one reason or another, Takara replaced Wild Bill with Stalker. The box was modified by placing a sticker photo of Stalker's figure over Wild Bill's on the front. Also, a G-4 filecard sticker was placed over the G-15 filecard on the back of the box. There are not many of these variations to be found.

G-28 & G-28P are listed as "unreleased" because neither I, nor any of the other collectors I have spoken with, have ever seen one boxed. I'm not completely convinced it wasn't released. If it was, it is the most difficult to find Japanese mass-released item.

The USS Flagg was only available in Japan as a special prize to winners of a contest and was limited to an extremely small number...I can't remember the exact number right now, but I'm sure it was less than 10 and probably closer to 3.

The Transportable Tactical Battle Platform may have been a special promotional item as well, but I'm not sure of the details. I have a feeling that this may be the elusive G-20 item.

Certain stores also received a limited number of promotional figure stands molded in the shape/color of the Japanese-GI Joe emblems...blue eagles and red cobras.

You can find more info here:

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Spade/8139/index.html

http://members.ebay.com/ws2/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=knunt

[ June 11, 2004: Message edited by: Sephiroth ]

GILTYONE
06-11-2004, 06:33 AM
WOW nice list I didn't think there was that much stuff I brought flint at a show a while back for $45 when I got home I had one already anybody need one LMK

Bison25
06-11-2004, 12:54 PM
i still want to know what this "replica" talk means

The Superfly
06-11-2004, 01:00 PM
WOW!! Sephiroth, thanks a ton for all the great info! :D

Tattoo Shane
06-11-2004, 02:01 PM
Bison, these aren't replicas at all...this is just another fine example of the misuse of toy terminology on this board. :rolleyes:

They are simply the same figures released in a different packaging that was exclusive and pertaining to a specific foreign market. By no means does this count as a replica. Toltoys and Palitoy GI Joe figures are also in different packaging but there's no way in hell you could call those replicas either...

Bison25
06-11-2004, 03:19 PM
thanks for clarifying that shane, it is nice for some of us that dont have $1000 to spend on a moc firefly to know we are getting the same figure on a japanese moc for $100

Obiwanjacoby
06-12-2004, 09:02 AM
Really cool info, we were just wondering earlier if they ever released the Flagg in Japan. Of course, I totally understand why it'd be such a limited piece. LOL, you think YOU got space issues? Go to Japan :eek:

CLARIFICATION: The flagg was in fact SO limited, that it was only released as a mail-in contest whatever (don't hassle me w/the details), the point is that it will prolly have it's own exclusive packaging AND inserts as well. So it is still truly a Japanese release exclusive Flagg that we simply haven't 100% verified the existence of. So stop nitpicking me already :mad:

-PJ

[ June 12, 2004: Message edited by: Obiwanjacoby ]