would u purchase funskool help me please? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : would u purchase funskool help me please?

sirmac31
06-18-2004, 06:48 AM
i bought before just wasn't satisfied with some figures they main problem some of them did not swivel and paint schemes were wierd i like to buy some vehicles what do you think like the cobra claws are they good to buy please lmk thx.

curmudgeon
06-18-2004, 06:58 AM
The vehicles are great--the difference in quality between the regular cehicles and the funskool ones is neglible, if there even is a difference. What sucks are the lame stickers they come with. I don't even apply them. I supposed you could get repro ones, or make some yourself. Otherwise, I have the funskool skystriker, a couple claws, a fang, a mean dog, desert fox (the plastic color is a little different on the fox, orange instead of brown in places) and they are all great. Too bad they don't make a funskool U.S.S Flagg :P

notpicard
06-18-2004, 09:42 AM
I think that if you go for some of the more recent Funskool releases, you are a little bit safer. Metal Head, Grunt, Windmill, Major Bludd, Tripwire, Law....those all seem to be made with better care and plastic than other figures I have gotten.

I stopped buying Funskool figures for a while after I got General Hawk. He is so terrible and I was looking forward to him a lot. But I am glad I got back to them. There are a few that I really enjoy and would have missed out if I had skipped them.

CobraLaLaLarry
06-18-2004, 09:50 AM
How much truth is there to all the lead paint talk? I've been wanting to order several of the Funskook figures from smalljoes, but I'm kind of reluctant to.

koppen
06-18-2004, 09:50 AM
I have bought several funskool figures, and I have liked them. The 88 Stormshadow is pretty good. They're not as good of quality as true Hasbro figures, but they're still a cheap alternative to getting the original ones. The Night Vipers are also prett good.

robot_sonic
06-18-2004, 10:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>How much truth is there to all the lead paint talk? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
None. The Funskool figures that have been produced in recent years are in full compliance with international toy safety standards. So, you don't need to worry about that with Funskool figures.

highlander
06-18-2004, 10:14 AM
i like them

CobraGang
06-18-2004, 10:26 AM
Yeah the Night Vipers are real good. I just added black paint to the rifle and backpack and it came out real nice. I agree with you Notpicard. I purchased the Gen. Hawk and it's terrible beyond words. I already put him in the bag of figures that I plan on trading off extra cheap. Here's my list of figures I recommend and don't recommend:

v2 Stormshadow - NICE (would have been very nice, but they forgot to put the claw accessory in the package)
Night Viper - NICE
Crimson Guard Immortal - NICE (but his left leg is shorter that his right leg)
Muskrat - NICE
Scrap Iron - NICE
Road Pig - NICE
Capt. Grid Iron - (brightly colored but NICE)
Ripper - NICE
Zarana - NICE
Budo - VERY NICE
Flint - NICE
Quick Kick - NICE
Croc Master - NICE (but the green paint doesn't match)

Barbeque - HORRID (accessories are even wretched)
Mainframe - HORRID (looks like someone painted him blindfolded)
Beach Head - HORRID (would have been nice, but his eyes and flesh at the face mask was even painted green. IDIOTS!!)
Gen. Hawk - HORRID (the figure looks DEAD. Looks like he was killed in a flight mission)
Toxo Viper - HORRID (would have been nice but the paint scheme is too bad)
Buzzer - HORRID (nice mold, but the paint job is very cheap)
Zartan - HORRID (the chest pad, hair piece and knee pads won't stay on and they're made very cheap. terrible figure)

[ June 18, 2004: Message edited by: CobraGangBang ]

Deogg
06-18-2004, 10:29 AM
Also, if you can get past the SMELL (the one CGI I got stunk! ewwwww) they're a good (and cheaper) alternative.

CobraGang
06-18-2004, 10:33 AM
I've only bought the CLAW and FANG made by Funskool as far as vehicles go.

The CLAW is very nice. It's just the stickers that are bad. Other than that, it's real nice and it's worth the dough. The artwork on the package is nice also. Nice enough to put on display.

When I got the FANG the artwork on the box was real nice like the original FANG. When I opened it, it looked like someone took the copter and rolled it around in the sand and threw pancake syrup on it. NO LIE. After I wiped it down and sanitized it, it was alright. The stickers are horrible. I don't recommend you put these on the FANG. I just used original Cobra vehicle stickers that I had and it came out real nice. Also, the missles don't stay on too good, but if you're using it for a display like me, then it's good to go.

VanillaGorilla
06-18-2004, 11:49 AM
I have a bunch of the Night Vipers and CGI's, for the price you cant beat it. The Skystriker is almost the same except half the time you will be missing landing gear or seats. I actually built a Stormshadow army from the Funskool figures. I remember the Cartoon were there were a ton of Stormshadows.

Xerofall
06-18-2004, 10:09 PM
I've yet to be dissappointed with the ones I got.

Ripper is a great figure. Scrap Iron was good too.

Zartan was the only iffy one for me, I didn't like how his eyes were painted.

thebigzakbowski
06-18-2004, 11:34 PM
i have about 10 and the skystriker and i love em

acmirro
06-19-2004, 09:02 AM
Funskool is an important part of my collection. I try to get every new one when it comes out. Getting the older ones is going to be a expensive challenge, but it is fun to try.

Getting all the variants is going to be close to impossible!

Some of the figures are really close to their US counterparts: Airtight, Muskrat, Scrap Iron; and some are really wacky and odd: Metal Head, Grunt, Big Brawler. I LOVE the figures like Trip Wire and Grunt. They are so odd it is great!

That is one of the great things about Funskool - there is something for everyone and most can be had for under $5.

I have noticed a steady rise in quality in plastics and paint application in the last few releases so I have to say that the quality is on the rise.

The vehicles are mostly a shade or two off, and the plastic quality isnt as good, but it is still good quality. The Awe Striker and Sky Striker are two of the best.

The Stickers are hit and miss. The ones on the Sky Striker were great. They arent the same as the US ones but they are of high enough quality that they are still on and are not peeling. The Fang and Claw (and most of the smaller vehicles) stickers are paper and are horrible (as CobraGangBang stated). All of mine have at one point fallen off and needed to be glued on.

All in all I love Funskool. You get single carded figures with their own art work, a change from the norm, nice army builders (The Incinerators, Toxo-Vipers, Night-Vipers and CGIs are really nice) interesting accessories and guilt free package liberation!

NightCreeper
06-19-2004, 09:30 AM
People have toldme numerous times when you try to use the swivel joint....their arms snap off. But if you take could care of them its a cheap way to army build smile.gif

zombieguide
06-19-2004, 09:38 AM
ive never gone out of my way to get funskool figures, but one large lot i bought on ebay came with about 12 carded, so i was excited to get them, just to check them out before i actually started tracking them down specifically.

ive found funskool to be hit and miss. the CGI immortal for example is of great quality. the cutter for some reason seems to leave some sort of greast residue on my fingers, and the wild bill i got had a loose screw in his back, so i decided to tighten it, and when i did the whole thing feel apart, broken at the inner screwhole.

the mainframe i got, his left arm broke at the rivet within seconds of opening.

the zartan figures right arm is melted at the elbow, so it doesnt bend at all, and the quality of plastic is crap on him overall.

the other figures are all fine, including the toxo-viper.

funskool figures are fun, if for no other reason, for a cheap variant. and a fun addition to a collection that you may be looking at add to, having obtained all the US stuff.

definetely easy to army build night vipers, toxo vipers and CGI immortals cheaply, and replace thier crappy colored parts with j&r casts.