Did Grand Slam ever do ANYTHING? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Did Grand Slam ever do ANYTHING?

stratcat
06-16-2004, 02:25 PM
I was looking at my silver pads Grand Slam the other day, and I was thinking to myself, "man what a cool guy, neato jet pack and all." Then I started thinking about all those cool missions he went on in the comics, and those cool issues with him on the cover. Then I realized, this cat never did s@#t as far as I can remember. I grabbed a couple of issues and thumbed through, I found one issue where Hawk picks him for a mission, and then for the rest of the issue, they call him Flash!! I haven't read through every issue to find a story involving him, but what an under-used character! I think maybe issue one has him in the mix a bit, can't remember. Think how cool it would be for him to always be showing up with some experimental piece of equipment to save the day, or have it blow up in his face. Alot of possibilities! Come on DD!! Lets get Grand Slam on the Cover!!!

Patrick A. Riley
06-16-2004, 03:16 PM
I know. I just read that issue. In a later edition of Postbox: The Pit, they said they mistakenly put his name on the computer screen and Flash was supposed to go on the mission

He also had just 1 non-speaking appearance in the cartoon!

Cernunos
06-17-2004, 08:30 AM
Didn't he crash through a bus windshield and beat the tar out of Major Bludd in #17 of the old Marvel series?

Patrick A. Riley
06-17-2004, 09:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cernunos:
Didn't he crash through a bus windshield and beat the tar out of Major Bludd in #17 of the old Marvel series?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, I literally just got done reading that issue. I'll keep posted anything else he does ;)

Graz73
06-17-2004, 09:55 AM
In a much later issue, (66?) He was shown training new joe recruits, Budo and Lightfoot.

Angry Beef
06-17-2004, 09:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Graz73:
In a much later issue, (66?) He was shown training new joe recruits, Budo and Lightfoot.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was Grandslam in that issue? I could only remember Zap as one of the trainers.

Man that's a good issue.

Dreadnok4life
06-20-2004, 01:38 PM
Yes he did. Grand Slam caused me to lose out on thousands of dollars. In 1988 or so I traded a shoe box full of baseball cards to a friend for a single Grand Slam figure. I had missed out on getting him and I was a completist nut at the time.

About 4 years ago I ran across the friend and he thanked me for helping him get through college. It seems the shoe box had several Mickey Mantle, Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale, and other hall of fame cards in it. He said he sold the cards one at a time to help pay tuition, rent, books, etc..

Now you can get Grand Slam on Ebay for under $20. Grand Slam.. I curse his name.. ;)

stratcat
06-23-2004, 02:03 PM
Grand Slam.. I curse his name.. ;)[/QB][/QUOTE]

HA!! Too funny!! :D

Spillspleen
06-27-2004, 05:47 PM
:D

frenchy
07-03-2004, 07:44 PM
I think he wants to buy all the grand slams and destroy them... :eek: :D

zartan74
07-03-2004, 08:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve French:
I think he wants to buy all the grand slams and destroy them... :eek: :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i hope not I still need to buy him..... :eek:

Dreadnok4life
07-11-2004, 07:02 PM
I have gotten over Grand Slams' treachery. ;) When I realized it was my own stupidity that traded those valuable cards for a $3 Joe figure. I am sort of hoping he will be re-introduced into the line one day.

AMulls
07-11-2004, 08:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cernunos:
Didn't he crash through a bus windshield and beat the tar out of Major Bludd in #17 of the old Marvel series?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, I literally just got done reading that issue. I'll keep posted anything else he does ;)

Me too! Happened to pick up a whole bunch of the comics at a local comic store I hadn't been to in quite some time. It was wonderful. Picked up about 30-40 issues. Now I am about halfway to completing the comic run, and I've been reading from the beginning for the last couple of days... :D

Eojam
07-13-2004, 01:53 AM
I've been starting to read every GI Joe comic in order and within the first ten, Grand Slam had blown up one tank, but got hurt, so he had to recover. Not sure how many issues he'll be out, but when I get to him again, I'll post again.

Golddragon71
08-06-2009, 01:24 PM
He Was made as part of the 25th ann collection They put him with a Black SHARC and made hima Target exclusive attack on Cobra Island.....oddly enough he is the only one of the original 13 Joes to Not have a Black Display Stand with his name on It

Antarctica
08-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Grand Slam had a major comeback in Image/DDP Volume 2 run.

http://www.yojoe.com/comics/image/dd39.shtml Issue #39 he is part of the scaled down Joe team lead by General *ahem* Serpentor *ahem* Rey.

Makes an appearance in #40

In issue #41 he parachutes into a fight. And since he is in his silver uniform it fits with the parachuting.

The series ends two issues later.

Of the original 13 Joes only Stalker, Hawk, Snake Eyes and Scarlett are apart of this scaled down version of the team.

So that puts him in good company.

Especially, since Flash and Breaker are dead at this point.

And don't forget he got a solo cover (ok, solo as in the only Joe on the cover) #17, http://www.yojoe.com/comics/joe/joe17.shtml

With Grand Slam's come back in the DDP run, I believe that puts Short Fuze as the least used Joe of the original 13. Then Zap & Steeler who both very active in the first 20 issues. And made appearances here and there for the next few years.

Here is his whole history and comic appearances.
http://www.myuselessknowledge.com/joe/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=158&Itemid=53

Ford
08-10-2009, 04:58 PM
For all that he did, "Bunt" would have been a more appropriate name. :p

Chainsaw Viper
08-11-2009, 12:11 AM
It's his own fault. If he would have had a backstory that tied him directly to Snake Eyes, he would have got more story time.

Antarctica
08-11-2009, 12:39 PM
He is like the guys who signed the Declaration of Indepedence that we never hear about in the history of that event.

It doesn't matter he is one of the original 13 and for that he will always be ranked and talked about way higher then most of the Joes who had more page time.

And I would bet that nearly every kid had him & his laser cannon as a toy. I loved the fact that Clutch could pull that cannon around.

Heck, just look at this page.
http://www.myuselessknowledge.com/joe/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=6&id=18&Itemid=53&limit=25&limitstart=50

Three Joes with more views: Heavy Duty (cause of the movie), Flash (an original Joe more popular them him) and Firewall (?????) with Footloose and Heavy Metal close behind.

And he definitly hasa a fan following.

the scarecrow
08-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Grand Slam would probably make a good Origin story. Since he doesn't have much history weighing him down, a complete continuity could be written. :)

Flash Gambello
08-22-2009, 07:17 PM
Wow, this thread was dead for like 5 years and got revived? That is definitely what you would call a "necro-bump!"

Someone early on mentioned Grand Slam being in the cartoon once in a non-speaking role, I seriously don't recall this and I have every cartoon from the Rhino run. I doubt he was in Season 2, part 2.

Can anyone confirm this?

Propaedeutic
08-22-2009, 10:26 PM
He's not in the cartoon. Some years ago I thought he was in the VAMP in the first opening sequence, but a DVD still (http://joetoonarchive.com/displayimage.php?album=4&pos=2) shows brown gloves that prove it's Flash, and when Flash is on the RAM, the VAMP's passenger changes to Zap (http://joetoonarchive.com/displayimage.php?album=4&pos=14). You can see Flash and Grand Slam together in a shot used in a couple 1982 commercials, but that's the only time he's been animated.

Falcone
08-23-2009, 02:04 AM
There's a scene in, I think, Operation Mind Menace that has Flash and Airborne. In one shot there is an animation error showing two Flashs' some people claim its Grand Slam.

miragearmy
08-23-2009, 02:09 PM
I think he was a "bullet-stopper" in 2 comic book issues. Does that help? :rolleyes:

Flash Gambello
08-23-2009, 07:26 PM
There's a scene in, I think, Operation Mind Menace that has Flash and Airborne. In one shot there is an animation error showing two Flashs' some people claim its Grand Slam.

Gotta love those Sunbow animation errors. It gets even uglier with debates about some of the stuff they messed up in the Transformers cartoons, I think blood has been shed over whether Cyclonus was originally Bombshell or Skywarp.

jamarmiller
09-12-2009, 10:04 PM
too bad IDW just shot and killed him in his first comic book appearance (check out the latest origins coming out about mainframe) god that sucks

cardensb
09-12-2009, 10:36 PM
too bad IDW just shot and killed him in his first comic book appearance (check out the latest origins coming out about mainframe) god that sucks
Has that ever kept anyone down?
I heard he was on a bus heading to the store and saw an ambulance leave a horrible accident that left SE's without a family. He missed it though because he was napping. Had he been a witness, oh man!

Antarctica
09-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Yep RIP to Grand Slam.

The first real known Joe killed in the main series. Unfortunately, Jinx wins the aware for first death of a known Joe.

Here is the summary of how he dies.
http://www.yojoe.com/comics/idworigins/origins07.shtml

Falcone
09-16-2009, 06:32 PM
I don't get it. So Grand Slam dies in an origin story? That would mean he dies before the Marvel run even starts? I don't really read the comics...

Antarctica
09-16-2009, 07:11 PM
I don't get it. So Grand Slam dies in an origin story? That would mean he dies before the CORRECTION <Main Series> run even starts? I don't really read the comics...

Yes, you thinking is correct if you change the wording.

Falcone
09-16-2009, 08:19 PM
That's what I meant, main series. I should just read all the comics sometime.

Falcone
09-17-2009, 04:09 PM
I was going to leave it at that and forget about it, but I can't. Ive read in this thread that he appears in the main series. How is that so if he dies before the main series begins?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeSG74VirXg&feature=related

Antarctica
09-21-2009, 12:17 PM
In the IDW continuity Grand Slam has never appeared before issue Origins #7

Falcone
09-21-2009, 04:45 PM
IDW continuity

That clears that up.

skinny
09-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Maybe Hama had something against the HAL?

issue 1... blew it up
issue 3 tossed down an elevator shaft to destroy a robot..missed.
issue 8... blew it up.

RedSkullCobra
01-01-2011, 01:58 PM
It was in Marvel issue #82 where Grand Slam led a mission with Budo, Lightfoot and Repeater. A fight against Destro's Iron Grenadiers who were wearing Cobra Viper uniforms.