What was your first Joe comic? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : What was your first Joe comic?

Xerofall
06-18-2004, 04:26 AM
Mine was issue 28 way back in like 1983-84... my mom got it for me.

I rushed to the store the next day and found issue 27 behind the stack of 28's.

I've been collecting them ever since.

It was hard sometimes, when we moved I always had to find a store that sold GI Joe comics. Then Special Missions came out and the yearbooks were always a challenge to find.

I remember one day GI Joe Vs Transformers came out, I didn't have a dime on me, and my parents were flat broke. My brother in law pulled out a handfull of quarters and let me have them.

It was hard but I never missed an issue until #143 for some reason. But I found it on Ebay a few years later.

Sold that collection and am now working on getting a new one built back up.

Serpentor's Bodyguard
06-18-2004, 07:50 PM

I still love that cover.

GBPackRat
06-18-2004, 08:58 PM

I begged my parents for it at a garage sale in the late 80's...

My parents didn't view comics too kindly, but caved cuz I begged so much. I think it was either 25 cents or 50.

I read that thing over and over and over. Parts of the cover are torn, worn and ripped.

The comic is barely intact... But it was the start of me collecting comics.

I still have that comic today... Its the only double bagged "fair" condition comic worthless to anyone else that I own.

Now after a few years of activily searching for the comics, I completed the 1 - 155 run, the special missions 1 - 28 run, the current 1 - 30 run, all transformer/gi joe cross overs, all battle files, year books and Frontpage 1 - 8.

Joeczar
06-18-2004, 09:02 PM
#1! Bought it and literally wore the ink off the cover reading it! It's still one of my favorites and I still read it a lot, partially because I like the story, mostly because it reminds me how excited I got waiting for the figures to come out!

curmudgeon
06-18-2004, 10:30 PM
Yeah, I was collecting comics before I got into Gijoe, so I started at #1 too. Had every single issue at one point too, 'cept for the last 5 or so. Best comic ever, thanks to Larry Hama

Icebreaker
06-19-2004, 04:00 AM
#119. It was at this point in life my family moved to a city that had stores, as compared to the UP of MI, which had very few. Never saw a 'joe comic until we moved that I can remember.

I knew nothing about the comics and hardly remembered much of the cartoon, I didn't see it that much. However, I was already a few years into collecting the toys and #119 seemed pretty awesome to me.

I found a sample bundle pack at the local prange way a couple weeks later consisting of #92, #93, and another that escapes me now, but these really grabbed my interest.

Found a local back-issue stash at a baseball card place and started buying up as much as I could.

I'm still about 30 issues short on the main series, but #119 started my comic collection!

It's a different story, too, nothing too crazy but, those cobra bats/lookalikes still seem like a pretty interesting idea. It wrapped up in one issue, too. I liked this, even though it fits in the continuuing saga.

SLG
06-19-2004, 04:30 AM
I think I was home sick from school or something and when my mom or dad got back from geting me medicin at the store they had gotten me gi joe #1 to try to make me feel better and it worked. :D

Cernunos
06-19-2004, 06:15 AM
Issue #8 where the Joes are in Florida to protect the space shuttle was my first one. I still have it to this day.

nemesisenforcer
06-19-2004, 07:40 AM
mine was #5 and I loved it. It was also my first comic ever which led me to collecting comics and at one time having almost 40 boxes full Ive trimmed that down to 12 and its still a pain to move :mad:

Fire Viper
06-19-2004, 08:57 AM
I had seen some comics, with the title Action Force, that i told my grandmother about, next time i visited her, she gave me four dansih issues with them.

Danish issues 15-18:
In them was the american issues:

15: 65 and 66 Cover: 66
16: 67 and 68 Cover: 67
17: 69 and 70 Cover: 70
18: 71 and a special mission issue Cover: 71

frozen_nd
06-19-2004, 09:57 AM
. .

The Baron
06-21-2004, 09:37 PM
http://www.ph-cip.uni-koeln.de/~scholl/blood/Jungle%20Terror%2011.html

Sigh.

Obiwanjacoby
07-05-2004, 02:01 PM
Mine was #7. Still one of my favorite stories (part 2 of first app. of Oktober Guard storyline). My mom got it for me from the local drugstore.

-PJ

thespar
07-05-2004, 07:44 PM
my first one was and only form the marvel was # 61 of DD it was # 2

Tormod S. Skoog
07-05-2004, 08:16 PM
for me it was #44. i had been collecting the action figures for quite some time. i was in grade 6 and didnt even know there was a comic! there i was in shoppers drug mart with my mom.....suddenly my eye caught the title, no way!!! i grabbed it and pleaded with my mom to buy it for me(she did).

its funny because its one of my least favorite issues. i always wished i had seen it 1 month earlier because 43 has always been one of my favorite covers!!
http://www.yojoe.com/comics/covers/joe44.jpg

Antarctica
07-05-2004, 08:45 PM
I was with my mom at a Magic /comic store. And saw issue #5 Tanks for the memories. And started collecting all comics and then the figures after that. Which explains why I am a big time collector of the comics and other books. And don't collect the figures, although a have over 200 left over from those good old days. So I was then making a trip to comic store every couple of weeks, and also started collecting other series, non-GI Joe.

My mom bought that first comic for me, and then said I had to by all the rest with my lawn mowing money.

And when the Marvel series stopped, I stopped collecting all together, all other series I given up on several years before.

I had similar scene when I discovered DD had brought back there series. Just wondered into a comic store, which I hadn't been in one for at least five years. Saw Image issue #3 with Zartan on the cover and was hooked on collecting all over again. And still using my lawn mowing money.

On the internet, and sites like this make it much more fun collecting.

Wet_Suit
07-06-2004, 06:51 PM
Tough to pick one, but I would say, also #5 like Cernunos said, it's a great issue located in my home town!

[ July 06, 2004: Message edited by: Wet_Suit ]

Liokaiser
07-06-2004, 07:09 PM
Well I didn't start when the book was out, I skimmed thru issues after moving back to Ohio from Florida at the local 7/11 then it closes it out of the blue, rumors say it was shot up by some thugs.

Anyway it was either #35, or the issue with Snakes on the cover with all the marvel characters in the border (forget ish #) From there I was on the back issue hunt.
Still have alot to go too.

Scrapiron-Scavanger
07-06-2004, 11:00 PM
Issue #1, The Big one, (13 1/4 by 10 inch Marvel Special Treasury Edition) not comic book size. I am missing a couple of the early issues but have all of them after #17. :cool:

Hama-Eggs
07-07-2004, 09:04 AM
Of all things, #21. My Mom brought it home for me one day, I was all excited. 'bout half way through, I was like, wheres all the text?

At the time I figured that it was a comic for someone who didnt know how to read yet. I promptly told my Mom to go back and find one with words in it.

It wasnt till 2 or 3 years later, that it occured to me, with the name like "silent interlude" (or something like that) that it was meant to be "silent" duh...

cmderinchief
07-07-2004, 02:46 PM
#1 was also mine. #16 was my next one and from there I got a subsciption from Marvel starting with #23 up to the mid-60s or so before I failed to get it renewed. About 5 years ago I completed my collection of the Marvel run. Right now I am working on the European Missions.

Crimson Guard Jayhawk
07-07-2004, 04:40 PM
The issue with Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow (46 I think) bustin' through the door. I collected for years before that, but didn't start collecting the comic until then.

Billy - The Cobra Son
07-08-2004, 05:35 AM
A brazilian edition #1, "Comandos em Ação" (our version for the name G.I. Joe) about 88 or 89... i liked the story very much "Operação Lady Destruição"(Operation: Lady Doonsday) a lot!

By the time, the action figures in Brazil came before the comics, so i have many of the Joes that are on this first comic, and learned that Snake-Eyes was the action figure Invasor, who was sold in my country as a bad guy;... cool tongue.gif

statesofeuphoria
07-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Issue #1. A friend of mine a couple of doors down from me got it and showed it too me. I was blown away. I went to the grocery store the next day and bought it off the magazine rack. That was the first comic I ever bought. I didn't buy any more until issue #4, then a couple of years later I got 24 & 25 off the news stand and managed to fill in holes and continued collecting up until #79 or 80 with a few later issues randomly thrown in. The new comic 3 packs are the best thing hasbro has done in the past 10 years.

mizak23
07-09-2004, 11:51 AM
For me it was issue 104 which I remember rereading a lot. I only got the comics every now and then, but now I'm half way done my collection, started last year.

shadeycat
07-09-2004, 12:23 PM
My first was issue 15 and i've been waiting for Kwinn and Dr. Venom figures ever since.

Hunter
07-09-2004, 01:36 PM
My first issue of GI Joe was issue #49. The first appearance of Serpentor. I saw the ad on TV. I didn't know there was such a thing as a GI Joe Comic. Hell it was 1985. I was what 11. It was my gateway into a much larger world, comic books and I haven't looked back since.

joeboy75
07-11-2004, 11:47 PM
The first I read was issue #1. My buddy Ryan had just gotten it from his grandparents. I liked it so I ran up town to buy my own. Well, they must have had it for a while because the issue that was on the shelves was #17, my first. That was the best selling comic in town and it was really hard to get each issue when it came out. I loved it. I always regret reading it, I quit because some friends of mine gave me crap for still reading GI JOE when I got older.

Arashikage_Tengu
07-14-2004, 12:56 AM
I remember it like yesterday. Mine was number 32 (http://yojoe.com/comics/joe/joe32.shtml), with Zartan and the Noks driving their bikes on the cover, fresh off the rack, in `85, at the old Minit Mart where I lived. Unfortunately, I cut out an add for a flying Eyeball thingie. Years later, in 1993, I was fortunate enough to have a friend that just so happened to have the same issue. I told him about my story and he gave me his copy for free. Wish I had more friends that would give me stuff for free, ahem, Gemini Matrix:D

Jack
07-22-2004, 10:52 AM
I started with the original number 1, then didn't pick another up until issue 7, then I had a complete run from 11-61. I lost interest at that point but came back from issue 100-126 and then stopped for good. I went back and picked up 2-6, 8-10 and a few others. I started reading the DD series but lost interest after issue 8.

Fenway
07-26-2004, 11:19 PM
my first issue was #1....but in my opinion the comic took off after issue 20

the joe bandit
07-27-2004, 01:32 PM
my first was # 34 "Shakedown". Dont even remember getting it. Got into the comics around 48, was going though a stack and found it. I was supprised that I had gotten one over a year prior and didnt get hooked!

orionlukteel
07-27-2004, 04:49 PM
Definitely the Dreadnoks issue, apparently number 79.

Highlights:
-Cross-Country circumventing rush hour in the HAVOC
-grape soda!
-the 'Noks picking on the poor army reservists
-Mutt going nuts after Junk gets winged

And I still have it, rips and all! I'd love to dump my GI Joe vs. Transformers,
though. Didn't get to read the miniseries until long after it came out, and
HATED it. =(

Peace,
Pat

danyanda
07-27-2004, 09:55 PM
As a child my brothers and I managed to aquire issue #49 (stealing the remains for Serpentor - long gone now), Tales of GI Joe #14 (which I still have, now coverless, and two pages interestingly put in backwards from when we got it), SM #7 (again, I still have it coverless), and SM #18 (that is lost as well). Aside from those I usually just read them in the grocery store while my mom shopped. Then I started buying at #115 (I was like 11 and finally had enough money) and I have been a faithful buyer ever since.

thoughtcrime
07-27-2004, 10:04 PM
My first Joe book was Image's #2. I then bought #3, couldn't find #1, and dropped it since there was too much backstory I wasn't a part of. Fast forward to earlier this year when I figured I'd get into Reloaded. That series is meh so far, so I am going to get the Marvel trades, and also start collecting Image backissues.

Now I Know...
07-28-2004, 01:33 AM
24 what can I say The Commander escapes was the coolest!

dendariiprime
07-28-2004, 05:15 AM
my first was #9, my mother bought it with other marvel comics... and my first issue of Playboy magazine(sept.81), heh, heh. but #11 is what hooked me: Snow Job, Airborne, Gung-Ho, Doc, Wild Bill, the Battle Bear snowmobile, and... Destro!!! what more could you ask for???

Desert Rat 157
07-28-2004, 06:22 AM
Mine was issue 17 with Maj Bludd on the cover. Everything took off from that point. My first figure was Stalker and of course I got Maj Bludd shortly there after. Then when the cartoon came out I was basically in heaven. It's funny that I saw this question today because just the other day I was telling my own kids about my first comic issue, joe figure and how my friend and I played GI Joe after the cartoon was over. In fact I've shown my kids the PSA's and they actually love it and learn from it, so you could say GI Joe is a big hit in my house.

thorn
07-28-2004, 02:53 PM
i think the first one i bought was issue #3 - #1 & 2 were not that easy to find, but technically #1 was the first- my best friend brought it to school, and he also loaned it to me for a few days. we were totally hooked. hot potatoe!
i remember it took about 2 years to finally get my own #1.
that got me into the whole world of comic collecting , and joes of course

thorn
07-28-2004, 02:56 PM
my first issue was #1....but in my opinion the comic took off after issue 20

no way! #2???? #10 i think ? - springfield???? there were a lot of great issues. maybe the full on story line didnt get inot detail but there were great ones right off the bat i think

Alkie Ewok
07-28-2004, 05:05 PM
I don't remember the issue #, but it was one where Snake Eyes pulled off some serious BS. He was trapped in a burning building and did some meditation that basicaly made his heart rate & breathing stop so he wouldn't inhale any of the fumes or whatever and they'd think he was dead in there. Also, had Gung Ho riding around the bayou or something like that.

nightc1
08-03-2004, 04:33 PM
Issue 47 I believe was my first. I got issues from then on sparaticly as I could convince my parents to buy em for me. After 47 I ended up getting 49, then 51, 52... and the rare comic book store purchase of 36 (rare in that, my parents didn't take us to comic stores but there was one at the time inside the local Sears :eek: ).

Issue 47... I read that one so many times. I even remember where I was when I got it because we were on a road trip... coming back from visiting family in Ohio. We stopped off at this certain place in Tenessee (I live in Alabama) where there was this store that sold all kinds of stuff from country items to fireworks to magazines and of course they had a rack of comics on one wall.

I actually had a buck in my pocket (which was something for me in those days) and I loved the show so I picked it up.

Not only was it my first issue of GI Joe... it was my first Comic Book purchase too :)

Completist_Junkie
08-13-2004, 08:38 PM
#100. My mom bought it for me before we went back to Pennsylvania at a store in Georgia. Read it til the cover came off. :D NOW I bought it again not long ago, knowing now how to take better care of my comics. (started at 10 but didn't actually take care of them until the next year)

lattinlovrrr
08-19-2004, 09:02 AM
my first one was issue 36 i thing with the killer whale on the front cover

GBPackRat
08-19-2004, 09:41 AM
Night...

Check out some of the very early posts in this thread....

47 was my first issue too!

Tanner

AVAC
08-19-2004, 10:57 PM
#20 of the original run was the first issue I got. I managed to pick up a few of the earlier issues from a friend of mine back in the day after getting issue #20, but #20 was the first issue I picked up myself. I even remember what town I bought it in.

nightc1
08-20-2004, 02:09 PM
Night...

Check out some of the very early posts in this thread....

47 was my first issue too!

Tanner
:eek:

I went back and read your post again. I think it didn't stand out because after I read through all the posts I went looking through the cover galleries here on yojoe for the one I knew so well as my first issue. That's crazy man. Not just your first issue of GI Joe but also what got you into comics is the same for me.

crimson tide
08-21-2004, 10:17 AM
My first one was #2, I bought it at a local grocery store. :D

pdaat
08-21-2004, 11:38 PM
Mine too was issue 2. I got it as a 3-pack with Captain America and Thor at a variety store. After that, I ordered a 3-pack from the Sears Christmas Wish book of Stalker, Rock'n'Roll and Scarlett.

Paul

shmoomonkey
08-23-2004, 05:58 AM
I too was already collecting comics when this series came out, so I picked up the giant sized issue and I've been a fan ever since.

samluvsjoes
08-23-2004, 10:53 AM
i think my first issue was the second part of the snake-eyes trilogy. i had the second part and the third part forever, and i just recently found the first part. anywho, the second part was definitely my most read issue. it's missing the cover and looks like someone spilled coffee all over it, lol.
sam

gabbyb3
08-27-2004, 08:16 AM
my 1st was the issue with billy and top it off it was in springfeild .. which i immediatly thought was in jersey.. wasnt billy cobra commanders kid?

rea1180
08-28-2004, 04:46 AM
My firt issue was 120. Got it at a train station in portland oregon. I was already into the toys but was completely hooked on the comics after that one. Its almost completly fallin apart now. Of course that was about twelve years ago, and I still have about three more comics to get before my collection is finally complete.