Saw "The Boy Who Could Fly" tonight. . . [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Saw "The Boy Who Could Fly" tonight. . .

Obiwanjacoby
05-30-2004, 09:49 PM
For those of you who haven't seen it, it's a family/teen/romance/drama/fantasy/tearjerker made in 1986 that features 3&3/4" GIJoes very prominently in the plot.

Fred Savage is the bomb! He was my favorite featured actor of course. He plays the female lead's Joe-obsessed younger brother who habitually buries his figures under a tree.

The subplot is devoted to his goal of getting the courage to make it around the block on his big wheel in defiance of the neighborhood bully, and dealing with the death of his father. . .through his toys.

It was cute, sappy, and funny as hell. . .very much a part of the innocent side of the '80s. I highly recommend it in case you need a video rental for a date or whatnot (as it would be something you & the lady would both enjoy for a change).

:D

-PJ

thebigzakbowski
05-30-2004, 10:40 PM
as a kid i remember him burying duke and thinking how dumb is this kid lol i never had duke has a kid and this is why, fred savage buried him

Propadeutic
05-30-2004, 11:01 PM
Another good one (though the Joes are less visible) is "Flight of the Navigator." It's been a while, but I think the Mauler and its box are visible in one scene.

Crimson Immortal
05-31-2004, 01:42 AM
The Christian Slater movie "Turn up the Volume" he had his Sgt.Slaughter GI Joe action figure.

FireChief420
05-31-2004, 04:06 AM
The kid in "Cloak and Dagger" carried around a Joe.

Kir Kanos
05-31-2004, 07:46 AM
didn't kevin mcallister shoot joes down the laundry chute in 'home alone'?

Obiwanjacoby
05-31-2004, 10:54 AM
While we're at it, Arnold's younger stepbrother (Danny Cooksey?) in Diff'rent Strokes had a VAMP and a Dragonfly in one episode.

-PJ

Eojam
05-31-2004, 12:30 PM
"Webster" had a Rattler...

YoJoeNCSU
05-31-2004, 07:32 PM
In the movie BIG w/ Tom Hanks I remember there being some Joe stuff. I think it was when he had the large apartment there was a mamba box in the background. Can't remember for sure though.

ERIK
06-08-2004, 09:10 AM
kevin shot down starting lineups in home alone. not joes and my wife actually bought me the boy who could fly just because it had joes in it. :D

Snow
06-08-2004, 10:08 AM
The Christian Slater movie was "Pump up the Volume"

Michael smile.gif

Crimson Immortal
06-08-2004, 11:53 AM
yea smae crap! ;) Thanks for the correction

The 100% Argento Outback
06-08-2004, 05:47 PM
I really got very excited when i saw that movie! all this toys and he burning him!

mobilejoe
06-13-2004, 07:47 PM
and pee in a water gun. He said **** in that movie which made the movie that much cooler when i was a kid

Propadeutic
06-17-2004, 01:59 PM
There are three Joe figures in the awful movie "Class of Nuke 'Em High 2." (Truly unwatchable; I turned it off after about 15 minutes.) Near the beginning, the giant radioactive squirrel steps on some "soldiers"--freeze frame reveals the stand-ins to be Night Force Repeater, Night Force Charbroil, and apparently Downtown. Possibly the only full-length film appearance by NF figures.

Obiwanjacoby
06-17-2004, 05:46 PM
Sweet! I wish someone compiled a list or something.

-PJ

RJ Macready
06-17-2004, 07:40 PM
In the CKY movie "Haggard" Brandon Decimello plays exstensively with joes as well as being called Falcon in the movie.

redviper
06-18-2004, 04:21 AM
YES...I LIKE THIS MOVIE ALOT...JUST BECAUSE OF THE JOES..WHAT ELSE..
BUT, I WONDER IF HE LEFT ANY JOES UNDER THAT TREE?

NOW,RJMACREADY: ABOUT THIS MOVIE " HAGGARD "
IT IS A GOOD MOVIE? CAUSE I DONT REMEMBER THIS ONE? IT SHOW'S GIJOES TOO?
LMK

CobraLaLaLarry
06-18-2004, 03:49 PM
If you can dig up a copy of the old slasher movie Silent Night Deadly Night, the killer works at a toy store and there are tons of Joe toys on the shelves, as well as a lot of Star Wars, He-Man, etc.

Obiwanjacoby
06-18-2004, 10:08 PM
I can't believe this! There is more Joe-references in films/TV cited on this one thread than I've ever seen in the past. Great job you guys! A complilation video would be kewl too.

So we don't have to do too much fast-forwarding y'know ;)

-PJ

BK
06-21-2004, 01:58 AM
The 80's sci-fi/horror flick "Pulse" has several scenes of a kid and his buddy playing with the terror drome and a bunch of figs. It's always amusing to me to watch that. And it's a pretty cool movie too.

Kir Kanos
06-21-2004, 09:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CobraLaLaLarry:
If you can dig up a copy of the old slasher movie Silent Night Deadly Night, the killer works at a toy store and there are tons of Joe toys on the shelves, as well as a lot of Star Wars, He-Man, etc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://www.terrortrap.com/underratedslashers/silentnightdeadlynight/

Wow, I may have to find this one, looks pretty cool!

CobraLaLaLarry
06-21-2004, 09:48 AM
One of the funniest slasher movies ever. There's a montage of the killer working at the toy store with this ridiculous holiday ballad playing, my wife and her brother and I watch it every Christmas and laugh until we're crying.

JWLJN
06-21-2004, 11:12 PM
Anyone see Dodgeball? I don't even know if it's a direct reference, but in the final game of the tournament with the main two teams facing off, the announcer is talking about how many members are left on each team and says there are this many "Joes" left and this many "Cobras" left...which are the shortened names of both teams. I took it as a reference, even if it wasn't. :)

-J\/\/

Obiwanjacoby
06-22-2004, 05:06 AM
Maybe check for interviews w/the writer/director, see if he's a big '80s toy fan. Otherwise, I think it's just obscure enough to make for a frustratingly lame inside joke :rolleyes:, if that really IS what they intended.

-PJ

CobraLaLaLarry
06-22-2004, 09:43 AM
You sound ticked off about it, what's the problem?

Toy-Classifieds.com
06-22-2004, 02:19 PM
"The Boy Who Could Fly" was one of the greater joe cameo movies but "Flight of the Navigator." was my fav. Good times. good memories :D

JWLJN
06-22-2004, 02:27 PM
I was on the "Dodgeball" message board on the IMDB and others were talking about the Joe/Cobra reference and believe it was Ben Stiller's doing.

I just picked up Flight of the Navigator on dvd at Target for around $13. I believe it was just released. One of my faves as well.

-J\/\/

Predator
06-22-2004, 03:41 PM
"The Boy Who Could Fly" Oh Man what a Great movie, i remember watching it when i was a kid!

It would always come on TNT and i'd go to school the next day and talk about it to my friends because it had JOES in it. But they just took it in one ear and out the other!! :( :rolleyes:

Obiwanjacoby
06-22-2004, 05:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CobraLaLaLarry:
You sound ticked off about it, what's the problem?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because IMO, it's just a lame, obscure in-joke with nothing else in the movie to support it (as far as I know).

Maybe there will be some childhood flashback scenes were actual Joe toys (or toon clips) are involved so the average viewer would "get" the later (heavily veiled)JvC team jersey joke.

But with just the D-Ball uniforms alone, I think it would fly over the heads of most audience members, even the ones who are hip to the '80s toy thing.

Sight gags are often harder to sell than one-liners because you really gotta pay attention.

If it truly IS a genuine homage to Joe (and not just a coincidence), I still appreciate it. But I still feel it's a waste as most wouldn't get it.

-PJ

JWLJN
06-22-2004, 05:31 PM
Wow...excuse me for even bringing it up, or checking this particular board for that matter. :rolleyes:

-J\/\/

Obiwanjacoby
06-22-2004, 06:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JWLJN:
Wow...excuse me for even bringing it up, or checking this particular board for that matter. :rolleyes:

-J\/\/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't being rude, and it wasn't pointed at anyone in particular. I like Ben Stiller, don't get me wrong. I just wished if they were going to make an ARAH joke, then make it count.

Nobody here is "for real" angry at anyone on this thread, myself included. It's just a nitpick. I admit that. And a presumptive one at that, because like I alluded to earlier, I haven't seen the whole movie.

Why? Is Ben Stiller a close friend or something? Can you get me an autograph? :D

-PJ

Deogg
06-22-2004, 06:08 PM
I wouldn't mind checking this movie out to see the Joes being used in the movie.

I remember a LOT of Star Wars stuff being in ET......

Blackjack
06-22-2004, 06:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FireChief420:
The kid in "Cloak and Dagger" carried around a Joe.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He wasn't carrying a Joe. It was a figure of Jack Flak, the same character as his imaginary friend.

JWLJN
06-22-2004, 10:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Why? Is Ben Stiller a close friend or something? Can you get me an autograph? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not at all, actually. Is the Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons a close friend of yours? I honestly seem to get that vibe from your posts.

-J\/\/

Obiwanjacoby
06-23-2004, 06:47 PM
Not at all, actually. Is the Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons a close friend of yours? I honestly seem to get that vibe from your posts.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I'll admit that I'm alot like that. He's my fave Simpsons character next to Granpa.

Heck, now that I think of it. . .I could pass for CBG in real life if I gained a few pounds.

One thing I'm not tho', is easy flamebait :D

Tell you what, how about moving your personal issues with me to PM, and we'll find out exactly what I'm doing that stirs up so much anger in you? Hopefully you could be more specific than simply getting "vibes" from me.

That is, if this is just a subjective issue on your part. Please keep in mind I already posted that I wasn't trying to provoke anyone.

But if it's an objective difference of opinion you have about film or screenplays or whatever, I'm still capable of carrying on the discussion in a civil manner smile.gif

-PJ

JWLJN
06-23-2004, 09:10 PM
Actually it seems to me that you're the one with the problems with what I have to bring to the table. So be it.

-J\/\/

Obiwanjacoby
06-24-2004, 05:50 PM
Actually it seems to me that you're the one with the problems with what I have to bring to the table. So be it.

-J\/\/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand that it "seems" that way to you, but please read my previous posts & you'll see I don't have any problems w/you at all. The issue is so small it doesn't even bother me anymore.

Still waiting on the PM if you're still upset, we'll work it out.

-PJ

JWLJN
06-29-2004, 02:46 PM
I'm cool too. I think it was just a misunderstanding on both ends of two different points being made.

-J\/\/