I can't watch GI Joe anymore [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : I can't watch GI Joe anymore

Fireflyanon
05-13-2004, 05:09 PM
When I was a kid I loved GI Joe the cartoon is what got me into the toys I never was that much into the comic, I read them because my friends would let me and it helped my understanding but the cheap thrill of the corny cartoons fed my appetite.

I tried watching them on TV with my nephew but just can't. I can watch other cartoons but GI Joe is just too corny for me to take. I blew $20 on the original Mass Device cartoon but can't even watch that one though that and the Weather Dominator really made the cartoon.

Dominic Guglieme
05-13-2004, 06:35 PM
There are some terrible eps, that is true. I cannot comment on Mass Device and Weather Dominator as I have not seen either in about 2 decades.

Some good episodes:

No Place Like Springfield

Haul Down the Heavens

Money to Burn

Most Dangerous Thing in the World

CobraGang
05-14-2004, 04:30 AM
I can still watch it. I got 4 DVD sets so far. The episodes that I thought was corny as a kid are still corny to me as an adult. I still get a kick out of 'em anyways. Whenever I watch an episode it still make me want to continue collecting. :cool:

Since you can't watch G.I. Joe no more, mail me your DVDs. I'm sure I can find someone who'll watch 'em.

Duke1
05-14-2004, 08:03 AM
That's sad to hear. I do understand your point though. I haven't seen the cartoons since I was a kid, and now I bought all the dvd sets. I also think they are pretty cheesy, but I love them. It brings back good memories, and I like to see the stories take place that I remember watching as a kid. They are cheesy, but they are entertaining too. I love the show, and will continue to watch them and buy all the dvd sets as they are released. I've gotten tired of some of the episodes, but only a few. Hopefully the cheesiness doesn't ruin GI Joe for you.

redviper
05-14-2004, 08:43 AM
I understand your point well dude..
maybe you are geting old..no ofense here..I feel the same too...
but keep in mind that now we are adults..
and we think very diferent now,
those are good memories from those years..the wonder years from the 80's

my favorite two movies are: GIJOE THE MOVIE and THE REVENGE OF COBRA.

right now..my vcr is broke..I need to get one before may 25th cause lord of the rings is going to on sale soon!
then i'll buy one dvd and vcr together..

see you guys!!
yojoe! ;)

lattinlovrrr
05-14-2004, 01:48 PM
i actually just got the mass devices anc revenge of cobra in the dvd set and i can see how some if it is kinda lame but as kids we liked it for some off reason i thaught it was the coolest thing around.

but yeah time does affect your point of view

Deadshot
05-14-2004, 09:32 PM
I can still watch em.. y'see the trick is to turn off your brain. works every time for me.

thorn
05-15-2004, 11:32 AM
No Place Like Springfield

HEY- was that similar to the comic issue?
i might have to see that.

TheReverend
05-15-2004, 02:22 PM
I donít have any problems watching Joe cartoons, I sort of enjoy them every once in a while.

...I think deadshot is right, you just have to turn off your brain and it's all good campy fun ;)

It sure beats the H#!! out of watching all the crappy reality TV shows that are on TV now...

frenchy
05-15-2004, 05:56 PM
Thats what im saying. Sit back, relax and enjoy some mindless joe and cobra action.

zombieguide
05-16-2004, 09:12 AM
i hit mute everytime i feel 'yoooooooooo joe!' coming out of some ones mouth...thats about the only thing i cringe on

gun metal
05-20-2004, 07:02 PM
I hear ya when it comes to those five parters. Mass Device, ROC, POD. Those episodes really test my patience.

You just have to appreciate the toons for what they are. Childrens cartoons. And for 'toons created for kids they kick some serious ass.

Kir Kanos
05-22-2004, 06:00 PM
yea for me, watching the toons takes me back to being a kid instantly, like few other things do, but it is hard sometimes, was watching 'cold sliter' last week, at the end when the joes sing... :rolleyes:

Jesse Scott
05-23-2004, 07:02 PM
Just pretend u are a kid again and enjoy the sweet JOE ride

OldSchool80sKid
05-24-2004, 06:36 PM
I still enjoy them and I am in my 30's. I think the true magic of them is to put them on for young children and see if they are mesmorized the way we were when we were kids.

thebigzakbowski
05-24-2004, 10:47 PM
i watch em
man they bring back memories I sit there and grin like an idiot watching them

KING
06-01-2004, 01:27 PM
I threw the Joe Movie in and sat back with a Coke and some Dorrito's while my wife read a book, I was ready to go back in time and be completely as psyched as I was over 15 years ago. Then the Song began and the horrible 'COBRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA' chorus plaid. It only took minutes before I was red in the cheeks with despare and my wife staired at me from her book just wondering when I would turn it off..... Man I loved those cartoons back when I was a kid.... But now..... Ughhhhh. It took me two weeks to finish the film. The funniest part was when serpentor screamed, "Cobralalalalallalalala" and my wife spit soda out of her knose because she was laughing so hard..... Damn.

yo-man2
06-08-2004, 07:26 PM
scarletts much more fun to watch now!

the only episode that i can't stand now and couldnt stand then is.........

the phantum brigade, i hated ghost busters and this seemed like their job

hotdog
06-09-2004, 07:07 PM
I'm 30, and although the shows are kinda corny, they are no more corny than anything else I watch- the original star trek, batman, south park (SOUTH PARK RULES), robotech, sponge bob squarepants, TV sucks dude- but gi joe has cooler merchandise!

Ninjasapprintace
03-15-2011, 04:25 PM
It comes on the hub channel at 11:30pm.

hotdog
03-15-2011, 06:50 PM
I'm 30, and although the shows are kinda corny, they are no more corny than anything else I watch- the original star trek, batman, south park (SOUTH PARK RULES), robotech, sponge bob squarepants, TV sucks dude- but gi joe has cooler merchandise!

Holy crap! I was 30! crap, I still watch all those shows...... crap!

Beach Head
03-17-2011, 10:37 PM
I never really liked the cartoon. Only the Marvel comics.

Ninjasapprintace
03-18-2011, 08:09 AM
I just started reading the Marvel comics, I've read issues 1-10 about 15 times already. not that I like them the best it is just that i need to get more comic books.

Beach Head
03-20-2011, 08:09 PM
You'll see the big difference with the cartoons and comic books. My Joe universe was always based on the comics. Still can read those babies and love them.

Golddragon71
12-29-2011, 11:04 PM
Sing? yeah I don't think I can ever watch the end of Cold Slither without being thoroughly trashed BUT we know Joes sure can dance! watch the Pyramids of Darkness to see Snake Eyes really strut his stuff! (plus he makes a great Boy George!)

Inzane
12-29-2011, 11:12 PM
There's a big spectrum in the quality of the cartoon IMO. The Revenge of Cobra 5-parter probably ranks among the best. I can still watch that one today no problem. It's just awesome.

Ironically the follow-up mini-series (Pyramid of Darkness) is among the absolute worst for me. I can't stand it.

KidneyViper
12-29-2011, 11:51 PM
I can put the cartoons on in the background. Not really watching them, but just on. I have to be really "enhanced" to be able to pay attention. Same with Transformers, I cannot make it through an episode without really wanting to turn it off!

Different mindset in my old age, who knows??

Darklon1
12-30-2011, 12:46 AM
I still love them there good mindless fun. That No place like Springfield ep is one of the best. Being an adult now I do laugh that a elite team can't seem to hit a target to save themselfs.

hotdog
12-30-2011, 01:29 AM
I still love them there good mindless fun. That No place like Springfield ep is one of the best. Being an adult now I do laugh that a elite team can't seem to hit a target to save themselfs.

on that note, how come America's "elite" can't spell barracks? in gi joe the movie (which i really like, and was very visually impressive) there was a sign on the barracks that said "barraks". it's at the part when the joes are jumping out of the windows and what not for the cobra attack on the B.E.T. i rewound it to make sure i wasn't crazy when i saw it. I know the reason is because the movie was produced in Korea, but it does seem to make "elite" seem a little grandiose.

spiderpumpkin
12-30-2011, 02:29 AM
I can't watch them either. Just makes me want to spend more money buying toys after watching.

Pathfinder_fan
12-31-2011, 12:53 AM
yea for me, watching the toons takes me back to being a kid instantly, like few other things do, but it is hard sometimes, was watching 'cold sliter' last week, at the end when the joes sing... :rolleyes:

Hahaha, amen. I was like, file that one under CHEEEEEEEEEZY!

ttfndude
01-01-2012, 09:35 PM
My son and I frequently watch the old ones together...we love 'em. But he has really gotten into the new Hub one and so have I the writing is actually pretty good and helps us come back full circle to how they began.....really enjoy it

deadfish
01-02-2012, 12:13 PM
I still love 'em..a bit cheesy now I admit but can usually handle it. Though I do fast forward through Snake-eyes and Shipwrecks Electric Boogaloo..

Sawyer
01-14-2012, 11:36 PM
scarletts much more fun to watch now!

the only episode that i can't stand now and couldnt stand then is.........

the phantum brigade, i hated ghost busters and this seemed like their job

The Phantom Brigade is one of my favorite episodes.

I feel sorry for some of you dudes (not talking to anyone in particular here) who can no longer enjoy the things that once made you happy. You've been so poisoned by the passage of time that you no longer have any connection to yourself, to that inner child that believed anything was possible.

Some people erroneously try to justify this disconnection as "growing up," or "maturity." But on a website dedicated to grown men collection action figures, I hardly think there is room for any of us to play that card.

I just bought the footlocker edition of the G.I. Joe DVD boxset several weeks ago, and have been enjoying it immensely. Most of the episodes I haven't seen in 15-20 years, but I enjoy them just as much now as I did then. Maybe even moreso, as I understand fully that this is a lost part of my life that I can only return to temporarily and intermittently.

Whatever though. I guess it's different strokes for different folks. I won't ramble on any longer about it.

Yo Joe!

ttfndude
01-15-2012, 10:17 PM
totally on target there Sawyer

code_name_flint
01-15-2012, 11:13 PM
+2 Sawyer. I find myself even enjoying the more cheesey DIC episodes that I just got.

Sawyer
01-16-2012, 03:53 AM
+2 Sawyer. I find myself even enjoying the more cheesey DIC episodes that I just got.

I'll be coming back to the States for a few weeks in February to visit my mom, and one of the first things I'm gonna be doing is picking up the DIC Season 1 DVDs.

Just as was the case with Sunbow, I haven't seen any of these episodes in close to 20 years.

I can remember waking up and watching G.I. Joe every morning before school. I actually really liked the DIC episodes when I was a kid too. Can't wait to see them again.

Yo Joe!

Falcone
01-16-2012, 04:08 AM
I can remember waking up and watching G.I. Joe every morning before school. I actually really liked the DIC episodes when I was a kid too. Can't wait to see them again.

Yo Joe!

Watching a DIC episode before heading off to school every day and then talking about the episode at school. Good times.

Satandy
01-16-2012, 05:50 PM
I still enjoy watching GI Joe (and transformers) quite a bit, they are much more watchable than some of the other shows I used to like like Thundercats and HeMan.

I watched the episode where Shipwreck is kidnapped and put into the fake town and it is still pretty awesome.

A lot of times it definitely makes me want them to make new action figures though, like a female Cobra trooper or the Cobra girl that couldn't stay out of the water too long. If you can't tell Shipwreck is my favorite cartoon character.

Golddragon71
01-16-2012, 11:18 PM
Yeah Shipwreck got the most character development of anybody in the whole first season I think. I love watching G.I. Joe every few years my interest is renewed. First it was 9/11 and the beginning of the Devil's Due run. then after that die down the 25th Anniversary popped in and the the live action movie. and now we're at the 30th anniversary with a sequel coming out.....
Well' I'm not going anywhere any time soon

Janus
01-17-2012, 09:21 AM
I still enjoy the toons about as much as I did when I was a kid. Unfortunately I did not enjoy them as much as I did the comic. Funny thing is I like the Transformers toon more than the comic. I think it is because I had the comic for Joes first and the Transformers toon before the comic. Either way I still watch the Joe toon and will be getting the new (old?) toons on DVD here soon.

cageyJG
01-17-2012, 11:29 AM
I can remember waking up and watching G.I. Joe every morning before school.

Heck yeah!

As far as what you said about getting away from your old self, that is pretty meta-, dude. A good reminder to be "semper fi" to our inner kid. ... ...

LordDarkHelmet
04-14-2012, 10:22 PM
I remember watching the cartoons as a kid. Thinking about all the things my imagination invented and wishing the show was better. "Lasers? Okay, but why don't they kill anyone? Oh, because it's for kids and death is too adult. Okay, that's stupid. Why does Cobra make all the elaborate plans that fail in half an hour? Also stupid. None of the Joes can beat up a bunch of B.A.T.s with his bare fists but Sergeant Slaughter? Ok. Why don't they make a movie? Probably because it'd be like the cartoon."

Yet I still watched because I wanted to know what happened. My point: Even back then it was disappointing. Now I watch and confirm that wow, they really were talking down to us. I thought "Renegades" was a solid cinematic attempt to manifest the Joe universe. Probably the best

Really though, I suppose SpecWar operatives combating global terrorism is a little heady for kids to tackle.

RussG
04-18-2012, 09:32 PM
I love the joe toons then and now ... at least the sunbow years

Super Sport
04-18-2012, 09:42 PM
I bought both the complete Shout Factory Transformers and GI Joe boxsets at the same time, and found the TF cartoons very difficult to sit through. I don't think I even got through the first disc. What's it been? Two years?