First CCG Card Preview: Roadblock! [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : First CCG Card Preview: Roadblock!

Rote Doktor
06-22-2004, 03:55 PM
Roadblock (http://www.wizards.com/gijoetcg/images/cotd/sonofbartlett41_lg.jpg)

This looks good. I am curious if they are going to use dice in the game's mechanics.

Deogg
06-22-2004, 06:26 PM
Artwork looks good so far. I'm just waiting for the undoubtedly crummy game mechanics to be revealed.

frenchy
06-22-2004, 07:16 PM
Too bad i have nobody to play with...

Rote Doktor
06-22-2004, 08:24 PM
Yeah I think the game mechanics might spoil it for me too. The placement of the cards stats look simliar to Wizards atrocious Star Wars Game. Which is why I asked about the dice...

I just hope it isn't a retread of those rules.

GBPackRat
06-22-2004, 08:30 PM
I hadn't heard anything about dice.

The layout of the card looks interested....

I want more info! :D

Tanner

Druss
06-23-2004, 06:39 AM
The big 8....hit points, power?

3 Upside down numbers, which mean they probably pertain to the opponent if he's attacking Roadblock or he's in battle with him.

Hand to hand and long range, so you've got different combat abilities and attributes, which is a nice touch.

Rote Doktor
06-23-2004, 04:31 PM
I think the 8 is power or the supply to play cost.

I think Druss was right about the 3 numbers at the bottom. They they have to do with combat numbers. Something like melee, range, and defense.

I think the two kapow symbols on the side of the picture are hitpoints.

Or I could be ALL wrong. I hope the game mechanics are great so I can play and just not collect. smile.gif

Druss
06-24-2004, 06:12 AM
Hmm...so you've got two little holes on the left side of the card. Those could very easily be hit points. At the top of the card you have two little white dots.....possibly a rarity scheme?

The more I think about it the 8 has to be the cost to bring the card into play, possibly using a Cash type resource pool.

Different forms of combat, hand to hand, range, vehicular?

I would imagine they would be given priority, if I attack say Cobra Island with my Roadblock the other player can defend with characters or emplacements/vehicles. I would assume hand 2 hand wouldn't be much use but he provides the long range option which could come in very handy.

The wording also leads one to believe a sort of Action card exists, played from the hand to aid the attack, missle strikes, emergency deployments, etc.

One thing I can't say I will like is if the game is strictly Joe vs Cobra and you have to choose a side. While Joe vs Joe would seem odd the flexability and options that would allow would greatly improve the games chances. Though I could see a rule prohibiting you from using say Cobra Commander & Hawk on the same team unless a specific card/character allows it.

Rote Doktor
06-24-2004, 07:10 AM
I think you are dead on about the 3 marks above Roadblock's name. It has to be the card rarity. Common, Uncommon, Rare, SUPER ULTRA MEGA RARE! Teasing. smile.gif

The on card mechanics, specifically the Hand to Hand 3, look extremely simliar to Wizard's Star Wars CCG. This is what lead me to believe that dice are involved in combat.

If they continue to base it around the SW game then there may be seperate spheres for soldier and vehicle fighting. That would disappoint me greatly... I want to run over Roadblock with my Hiss! smile.gif

Where it says Long Range, fire into opponents back rank, sounds like the Pokemon game where only certain creatures could deal damage to those not involved in combat. Which makes me think that only a few characters are involved in combat at a time.

I am not entirely sure if I want an entire CCG game based strictly around JvC since there are so many independent factions. However I think the Star around the 8 indicates that he is a Joe member. I believe next week when they release a Cobra card we will see the all to familiar symbol in the corner.

Enough speculation from me for a few hours! hehe.