View Full Version : X-Box modification questions

Jason W.
06-12-2004, 06:00 PM
Since I'm done with school for the summer, I'm planning on buying an x-box and putting a hard drive in it. I know that I have to take out the copyright protection, which should be easy, but I need to know if I need to get a mod chip for it, or if it will just work with a new hard drive installed in it.

If you install a somthing like a 100gb hard drive into an x-box you're able to go and rent games and burn them straight to the x-box, instead of buying them. You can also load games, and operating system, and lots of other misc. stuff on it.

Has anyone tried this, or know anything about it? Does anyone know how much space a single game takes up on the hard drive?

Navajo
06-12-2004, 06:29 PM
It's wicked dude. I haven't put a new hd in yet, but I do have it modded. The games differ, I have a disc (4.9 gig) with Need 4 Speed Underground, Soul Calibur 2, Tom and Jerry and a fishing game (never play it) on 1 disk. But Ninja Gaiden is like 7 or 8 gig. The average is about 4 I'd say. And no, ,if you just put a hd in it won't work, you have to flash the bios and install the software that makes the xbox able to read burnt discs and all the other good stuff. Once you get the software, you can just rent games and copy them. Takes about 10 minutes I guess, I've only got the regular hd with Red Dead revolver on it, and a crap load of emulators and roms snes, n64, turbo grafx 16, gameboy advanced and a crap load of roms...still with 4 gigs left on my hd. You won't be disappointed when you do it...and the first game you should get is Splinter Cell 2..it's unreal, wicked ass game.

Jason W.
06-12-2004, 07:47 PM
As we say here in Sourthern California, Thanks Dude.

Navajo
06-12-2004, 07:50 PM
As we say up here...no prob dude..eh.

lol

Jason W.
06-12-2004, 08:15 PM
One more question, do you know anywhere, like any websites, where i can buy this software that lets me mod my x-box.

Crimson Viper Commander
06-12-2004, 11:06 PM
Here's some info on Xbox moding...

http://www.g4techtv.com/feature.aspx?article_key=416

You can probably find more if you search around G4TechTV's website alittle...

Rapid Fire
06-13-2004, 08:39 AM
i would LOVE to get a modded Xbox, im to much a wuss to even attempt to mod one myself! im also not tech save enough to do it! i would be worried about frying it! anyone know where you can get a pre modded one?

Navajo
06-13-2004, 08:44 AM
It doesn't get anything actually put in it to fry it. It's just software. I don't know how to do it, but all your original saved games and stuff will still be on the hd, unless of course you put anew hd in.

Jason W.
06-13-2004, 08:51 AM
where can you buy the software?

tai95
06-13-2004, 09:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rapid Fire:
i would LOVE to get a modded Xbox, im to much a wuss to even attempt to mod one myself! im also not tech save enough to do it! i would be worried about frying it! anyone know where you can get a pre modded one?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This site will do all the mods for you. http://www.ahocs.com/

Seems like an OK deal $225 for the mod and a 120 gig HD.

Navajo
06-13-2004, 11:09 AM
If you look around you can definately find it cheaper. Mine cost 40 bucks without a hd. I'm going to buy a 120 gig hd for about 130 CAN, then 40 bucks to put everything in, so 170 CAN which is about 120 ish. I'm sure there's places around your town that could do it. Check the newspapers, there's places all around.

Rapid Fire
06-13-2004, 11:35 AM
im goina call a local game shop! maybe they can point in the right direction! i know i remember watching tech tv and seeing a modded one that was used for ALOT more than gaming and movies! and i like the look of the front end OS! very cool looking! thanks for the sites though and the help guys!

Rapid Fire
06-13-2004, 11:43 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62054&item=8110593673&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62054&item=8111706415&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

there are a few auctions! that red one kicks ass!

Navajo
06-13-2004, 03:54 PM
Yeah that red one is sick! They've got custom jewels for it too, there was a Cobra emblem up a little bit ago that glowed red.

Rapid Fire
06-13-2004, 08:22 PM
i wanna get one and customize the hell out of it! use a red jewel that glows (red LEDs), and red controller lights, with the red sticker highlights!