View Full Version : Has that thing gotta HEMI???

Obiwanjacoby
06-12-2004, 09:46 PM
Okay, first I think an explanation is in order.

I know nothing about cars, zilch. I hop up & down & whine like a little girl if I have to change a tire. tongue.gif

What's that stick with the knob there for? To work a
manual transmissawhuzzah??? :confused:

So when I saw those Dodge ads, it really bugged me. If the person watching the commercial knows what a freakin' hemi is, then it's not a huge selling point. Because he's 9 to 10 got some Lance Steinberg model superstock custom four-on-the-floor hemi whatever in his garage already that's way better than the one on TV anyway. Right?

And the dude like me that don't KNOW what a freakin' hemi is. . .is N E V E R going to set foot in the dealership because he'll simply shame hisself looking in the glovebox for this neato keen "hemi" thang! :D

And then one GLORIOUS day, lo' came the link from on high. . .explaining it all. And I was suddenly enlightened!!! :eek:
http://www.automobilemag.com/news/0407_hemi/

Enjoy!

-PJ

thorn
06-15-2004, 03:35 PM
wow i am a bit disappointed-
i always thougt hemi was a brand name, not an engine style-
i am a bit more proud of my Ford with an INTERNATIONAL diesel (even is it is often Found On Road DEAD!)

or like the cummins or detroit engines they put in fords and dodges (chevy?),
i am into the idea of getting a car company to bulid the car, and an ENgine co. building the engine....

thunt4
06-15-2004, 04:05 PM
ya thats actually the name of the motor not the builder, You have to realize when they came out back in the day it was a lot of kids buying them and now that they are grown up what a way to market a car than to do that style motor again so the kids that could not get one can now get one, You have to realize one thing also that if you bought a car with a hemi in it the motor was not guaranteed as soon as it went off the lot since it was so built up and high horsepower. My dad almost bought a hemi cuda but didn't because of that reason

Druss
06-16-2004, 05:47 AM
Thanks ObiWan! As a illiterate car person myself I always scratched my head at those commercials and wondered what the big deal was.

Now I know....its not nearly as cool as they make it out to be smile.gif

KtownJoes
06-16-2004, 06:51 AM
Ya, Hemi is actually taken from the shape of the heads of the motor. Amazing the useless knowledge I gathered working at The Paddock for a couple years... LOL.

I think it is a good marketing tool, but the motor itself is not as beefy as they make it out to be. The original was 426ci & the new one is 3.9 litre (approx 350ci). The original Dodge/Plymouth Hemi was out-powered by Dodge's 440 even back in the Muscle Car Era. It is treasured today for its rarity more than its performance in the older cars. Fact is that the LS-1 (the Chevy/GM workhorse motor) is a better motor than the new Hemi. It just does not carry the "Hemi" gimmick.

dockingbay97
06-16-2004, 07:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KtownJoes:
Fact is that the LS-1 (the Chevy/GM workhorse motor) is a better motor than the new Hemi. It just does not carry the "Hemi" gimmick.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I sure enjoy my LS-1.

thorn
06-16-2004, 12:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> You have to realize one thing also that if you bought a car with a hemi in it the motor was not guaranteed as soon as it went off the lot since it was so built up and high horsepower <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hehhe that's pretty cool-

and yeah, that is a GReat marketing tactic.
just like rereleasing the cobras

Short-Fuse
06-16-2004, 06:58 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong Ktown, but I believe a 350 is a 5.4 litre. (approx.)

KtownJoes
06-16-2004, 08:43 PM
I did make a typo in my last one. The Hemi is a 5.9 litre not a 3.9 litre. The 350ci is almost 5.7 litre exactly. About as close as it can get. The 5.9 is a touch larger almost the same as the old 360 Mopar motor.

The new Litre system is so confusing... LOL