View Full Version : Wal mart sued for discrimination

thorn
06-22-2004, 09:36 AM
Wally has been at it again
basically the lawsuit is starting to move towards court
here's a little bit of it-
The lawsuit, brought three years ago in San Francisco, asserts that Wal-Mart, the nation's largest company, systematically discriminated against women in pay and promotions. The lawsuit noted that while 65 percent of Wal-Mart's employees were women when the lawsuit was filed, only 33 percent of Wal-Mart's managers were women.

Icebreaker
06-22-2004, 11:24 AM
Being the worlds largest retailer and the United States highest single employer does put the spotlight on many negatives. Do you think it was a small group of walmarts associates involved in this, or do you think this was corporate policy?

gargoyle
06-22-2004, 02:20 PM
well i had thought maybe my local walmart had too many people working in the auto shop when i applied for part time work but my friend that worked there said they was looking for people well i called and called and even spoke to the manager and he even told me he was looking well later my friend leaves and i called back i got the same run around so i stoped trying its about time thats all i got to say.

Ann G
06-22-2004, 02:29 PM
not to sound too horrible..but did these women pursue management. Sometimes in large retail chains YOU have to approach them about it. Also out of all the people in the lawsuit, were all of them deserving and capable of management?

[ June 22, 2004: Message edited by: Ann G ]

danyanda
06-22-2004, 04:33 PM
I will not say that it didn't happen. I will just say that you cannot put stock in numbers like that. Saying that 65% of associates are women and only 33% of managers are women sounds bad but does not give you enough data to go on. What if 65% of associates are women but only 33% of FULL TIME associates are women? Its things like this that set people off about unfairness, but they are not true measurements of what is going on.
Again, I don't know that it is the other way around, either, and Walmart very well could have discriminated. I personally find it very hard in this day and age to figure out how people can be sexist and/or racist in the business world. If you want to be condescending towards women, minorities, etc... in your personal life then I guess you have that right to be ignorant, but when you want to discriminate against a group when it is costing you the best person for the position and in the long run costing you money that is just stupid.
I have a great quote by Adam Duritz that pertains to this situation, but I can't post it. Basically a profane paraphrase of don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

thorn
06-22-2004, 05:00 PM
guys the lawsuit is invovling ALL their workers, it ius HUGE go to NYtimes.com or even google to read the full story.
guys trying to pick apart the numbers is silly-
The main point of the article is that Federal courts have gone over the paperwork enough times to say this is not just a bunch of smoke, that something fishy was definitely going on , and it will be going to trial soon.
So in short- enough women have felt they were overlooked by their higher ups for promotions
to justify this suit.

Deogg
06-22-2004, 06:12 PM
I don't see this one getting very far......maybe more details need to be known......just something doesn't jive there, ya know?

frenchy
06-22-2004, 06:38 PM
Anything that hurts Wal Mart i like, so this is a step in the right direction... :D

thorn
06-23-2004, 01:14 AM
so on TV tonight they had interviews with some women, and more reviews of docs- women getting paid less for exactly the same work, not being promoted- one woman actually told to "doll up"
if she wanted a promotion.....
im pretty sure youll all be seeing it in the news soon.......

BadAsh
06-24-2004, 08:09 AM
I saw a little snippet on this as well. They gave numbers of how much less women made in '99 compared to the present which is even more now. I think female managers made like $10K less than male managers...
I see this possible going all the way in the courts..

action-figures.ca
06-24-2004, 09:31 AM
I hope I live to see the day mighty Walmart falls (also Macdonalds). I don't think I will be around by that time though.