View Full Version : Another AFA oddity

dockingbay97
06-05-2004, 08:51 PM
Since this auction is floating around the web boards, I thought I would share it here.

You can have a couple different letters that go with your final grade from AFA.

One is a Y, stating the bubble is yellow. This is common with vintage SW POTF. Since there really isn't anything you can do to avoid the yellowing, it is not supposed to count against the final score but you will get the 'Y'.

The other is U which means Uncirculated. To get this you are supposed to send in a case of unopened figures that will be opened by AFA and then graded. So to find uncirculated vintage SW or early Joes is pretty hard.

Which bring me to this auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5902470750&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Notice the price tag.

There are some people really ticked about this for it isn't really uncirculated if it has the sticker.

Maybe he took the picture from another auction.

The AFA serial number does exist on the AFA site.

Serial Number: 3062935
Date Graded: September 12, 2003
Grade: U70 (EX+)
Card: 70
Bubble: 75
Figure: 80
Year: 1983
Company: KENNER
Title: STAR WARS
Name: STORMTROOPER
Variation:

It is just weird and something to think about.

GungHo
06-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Ok, if the darn thing is supposed to be uncirculated then you'd expect it to be friggin' mint....right??? How the heck do you call it uncirculated with a card getting a 70 and a bubble fetching an 80???

That is baffling...... :(

dockingbay97
06-05-2004, 10:52 PM
Well, it is not uncommon for umint cards to come out of cases but that is especialy poor for case fresh.

And then the sticker.

Obiwanjacoby
06-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Looks like you got 'em over a barrel this time.

Not only does it appear valid, but I daresay it's the most damning evidence against AFA I've seen yet.

-PJ

Xerofall
06-06-2004, 12:30 AM
I dunno if this means anything but at the toy store I worked at the warehouse would open all the boxes and place price tags on the action figures while they were still in the box, they never removed them, just reached in and stuck a sticker on it.

Would that be considered uncirculated or not?

GungHo
06-06-2004, 06:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Xerofall:
I dunno if this means anything but at the toy store I worked at the warehouse would open all the boxes and place price tags on the action figures while they were still in the box, they never removed them, just reached in and stuck a sticker on it.

Would that be considered uncirculated or not?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That must be a TRU wharehouse....because all TRU toys come pre-stickered.

Nick, I know sometimes that the figures come case fresh and damaged........but I look at it like this......a coin gets and uncirculated grade ONLY if it's 100% mint.....and unflawed.......how the heck can this figure get U grade if it's damaged? I could care less if it was just snatched from a case......if it's not 100% mint then it's a farce.

dockingbay97
06-06-2004, 09:47 AM
Brian, I am just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. I am already known as the resident afa hater.

Between that gem mint 100 Saga Emperor having one sub grade of a 95 and still getting gem mint 100......

and now this uncirculated with a sticker.....

Something odd is going on

thunt4
06-06-2004, 09:48 AM
simple answer to your questions of the grade for this. I have worked in a few toy stores and when do you ever see anyone handling the box nice? I mean its not gold in there or anyhting, they throw them on the truck, off the truck and get tossed and turned several times. its not like there is packaging material in the box so its just the cards against each other. Every time a box gets jarred or heck maybe someon threw a power wheels box on top of it. lol I think the uncirculated thing could be easily faked because all you would need is some packaging tape that is brown and you would not see if it was previously opened. One more thing to say is they can grade a figure but to know the knowledge of how things came packaged is a different story.On a side note if you were to send a case that was opened and stickered any collector knows you can get some goo gone and get those stickers off just to make it look more believeable so why would he leave them on so that kinda shows it came that way already like stated above like how toys r us does theres

Dean
06-06-2004, 11:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GungHo:

That must be a TRU wharehouse....because all TRU toys come pre-stickered.

Nick, I know sometimes that the figures come case fresh and damaged........but I look at it like this......a coin gets and uncirculated grade ONLY if it's 100% mint.....and unflawed.......how the heck can this figure get U grade if it's damaged? I could care less if it was just snatched from a case......if it's not 100% mint then it's a farce.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, being a collecter of rare coins, that analogy is flawed Gung Ho. A coin gets an Unc grade only if it is in a mint bag, straight from the mint. They could be in rolls too. BUT, coins get nicks and damage from being in the mint bags, and therefore are NEVER 100%. Actually only about 1 in 100,000 coins minted are 100%, do to the process from which they are minted, unless they are struck proof. I have dozens of Unc Morgan silver dollars, and each one has dozens of tiny hairline scratchs, but have been professionally graded as Unc. I get what you are trying to say though, just wanted to point this out.

As for the AFA moc, it is possible that the MOC came from a store that does the same thing as TRU, and opens the box, places a sticker on the MOC, and puts it in the box. Some guys could have bought the whole box, waited 30 years, and sent it to AFA. Technically, it is still considered Unc, becuause they have not had the chance to be sold in the open market. hundreds of possibilities.

dockingbay97
06-07-2004, 06:57 AM
Update from another board. Someone called AFA about the auction:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Well, I decided to call AFA and see what happened. It turns out that, as we all knew, this figure is not an uncirculated figure. Unfortunately, there was a clerical error when they typed it into the computer. Instead of a U, it was supposed to be a Y. I don't really understand how a tag can be printed without it being double checked for accuracy, but it did. I also don't know if they are going to correct the mistake in their computer or not. The person I talked with at AFA didn't think that the seller was going to get away with representing it as a U since there was a big price sticker in the middle.

Still, this does hurt AFA's reputation. How many other grades were printed with the wrong label? It bothers me enough that I probably would double check all of my AFA graded figures that I thought may have deserved a higher grade. Overall, AFA was very nice on the telephone and was really concerned about this piece and the auction. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I am going to call them and see what they tell me.