View Full Version : Congrats Detroit

Rapid Fire
06-15-2004, 08:12 PM
i never get into basketball, but game 5 was a awsome game! congrats to the pistons and pistins fans!

thebigzakbowski
06-15-2004, 08:23 PM
and la is unstoppable :rolleyes: all this coming from a seattle fan ;)

Deogg
06-15-2004, 08:30 PM
It shows what happens when a couple of megastars and a slew of nobodies (Lakers) go up against a true TEAM (the Pistons).

Way to go Pistons!!!! The Bad Boys are back!!

GBPackRat
06-15-2004, 08:35 PM
Barvo Pistons...

LA fans, cram this series down your throat!

Everyone thought the Lakers were untouchable.
It's nice to finally see someone prove them wrong.

Tanner

Biohazard
06-15-2004, 09:54 PM
sad sad series i tell ya. its pretty bad when you get a team like the Pistons who dont really have any HUGE names like the Lakers do, and they just kill the Lakers. I dont like basketball personally but it was funny to see a team like the Lakers losing games inupwards of 15 points per loss. Glad to have something good back in detroit

Deogg
06-15-2004, 10:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> sad sad series i tell ya. its pretty bad when you get a team like the Pistons who dont really have any HUGE names like the Lakers do, and they just kill the Lakers <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I think it's far from sad. It shows that a true TEAM can still win. Detroit had EVERYONE contribute on both ends of the court, not just count on two people to do everything on offense like LA (Shaq and Kobe). LA's fatal mistake was the same thing most NBA teams do: rely on their megastar(s) to do everything. They came against a TEAM that plays TEAM ball, and they got absolutely schooled.

The Finals just proved true the saying that "Offense gets the glory, but defense wins the game". The Shaq and Kobe Show can't do much against a team that can play as one unit.

Congrats Detroit fans. Live it up! You guys earned it!

*coming from a long-time Cavs fan who vividly remembers the Pistons "Bad Boys" teams of old*

Prozac
06-16-2004, 03:35 AM
2 words....Bill Laimbeer!

Gemini Matrix
06-16-2004, 05:17 AM
Not a basketball fan here either but did enjoy seeing last night game. I'm pretty sick of the Lakers.

Druss
06-16-2004, 05:42 AM
Agreed Gemini, I think we're through seeking the Lakers for a while, at least in their current form. I could see Malone returning, Shaq will be back, Jackson...who knows, Kobe is gone though, be curious to see where he ends up.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>2 words....Bill Laimbeer!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Three Words.....was a thug

Detroid reminded me of the Patriots in the NFL this past year, a number of solid players working together to form a excellent team.

blackthunder
06-16-2004, 09:31 AM
basketball = team sport

Detroit's team definitely played a team sport ... and that's the way to success ... one superstar cannot really do it all ... even with Chicago Bulls & MJ ... he still needed Scottie Pippen and a bunch of key team players (ie. Horace Grant, Steve Kerr etc.)

congrats to Detroit ... they deserved it!

thebigzakbowski
06-16-2004, 10:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Prozac:
2 words....Bill Laimbeer!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

my favorite player of all time

Druss
06-16-2004, 10:14 AM
Oddly enough he's coaching a WNBA team right now.

Gemini Matrix
06-16-2004, 04:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Druss:
Agreed Gemini, I think we're through seeking the Lakers for a while, at least in their current form. I could see Malone returning, Shaq will be back, Jackson...who knows, Kobe is gone though, be curious to see where he ends up.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't want to sound like I HATE the Lakers. Just for some reason I don't like the current incarnation. I liked them back in the day of Magic and Kareem but then again I prefered basketball back then as well.

:rolleyes:

danyanda
06-16-2004, 05:30 PM
The thing is that the Lakers have really set themselves up for failure since the beginning of the season.
There is no way that anyone SHOULD beat the Lakers, even with injuries to Malone and Grant weakening their roster. they have the most dominant center in the NBA (and he was dominant in the finals until the end of game 5), probably the best clutch player currently in the NBA in Bryant, two experienced hall of famers who still have some game left in them in Malone and Payton (although how much game Payton has is debateable IMO, Malone proved in the playoffs that when he is healthy he is still an impact player), and a very good supporting cast in Rush, Fisher (who is probably my favorite Laker), Medvedenko, and Fox. All this to go along with one of the winningest coaches of all time. Like him or hate him, Phil Jackson is a darn good coach.
Yet with that talent they set themselves up to fail because from the beginning two things: First of all the bigger stars allowed their egos to get in the way of their will to win. Payton was very clear in his displeasure with playing time, etc... and hurt the team by not letting wins mean more than time or points for one individual. Bryant was the same way. Complain that he shoots too much, he stops shooting for an entire game. Sure showed them. Complain about that and he drops 4o whatever points, but that response while positive in one game is not what you need over 82+ games. The second thing that the Lakers did, and what was ultimately the real reason for their downfall, was rely on the fact that they had better players to win games, rather than play better than other teams. LA knew from the get go that they could put up a ton of wins without playing great defense, without moving the ball for great shots, and without really playing hard. Detroit, on the other hand, played every game to the wire, and Brown coached that way. This man was riding the officials for botched calls up 25 in the fourth quarter, and his team for the most part played the same way he coached.
I take nothing away from Detroit. They did not win because the Lakers let them, they won because they are the better basketball team. The reason they are the better basketball team, though, is not in any way physical, it is in mental toughness and heart... the intangeables, that they far exceeded the Lakers.

BTW, I called Detroit as a contender back when they traded for Rasheed, and I called them in the finals since before game one started. Bow before my basketball genius :D (just kidding, don't bow)

Pete The Greek
06-16-2004, 06:03 PM
Still waiting for the Lakers to show up............................ and for them to whine about it.

Detroit was my team in the 1980s and early 1990s before the Toronto Raptors came along. I still follow the Pistons but not like I use too. My buddies knew that I was pulling for the Pistons when the playoffs started. I didn't expect them to whip the Lakers like that. But it was so good to watch. Ben Wallace is da man.

One thing did bug me. Why did Stern give the O'Brien trophy first to that old fart owner who did nothing on the court? In hockey, the captain usually gets the Stanley Cup first and then the rest of the team. Even this old fart could not hog the glory from the Stanley Cup as he wasn't on the ice to get it first (the owner Davidson owns both the Lighting and Pistons). This is why I prefer the hockey tradition. The NBA needs to change this as I consider this a slap in the face to the Piston players that busted their a$$ess and to have somebody else steal the thunder.

[ June 16, 2004: Message edited by: Pete The Greek ]

Rapid Fire
06-17-2004, 04:49 AM
its always cool when you see whats percieved to be a "BIG TEAM" gettin beat by the little guy! i mean LA were such a dominating team for so long! and for detroit to come up and basically stuff it to them! that was a beautiful thing!

Deogg
06-17-2004, 09:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Pistons cheated thats the bottom line. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must be a Laker fan.

If a bunch of guys putting the team ahead of themselves was considered cheating, then guilty as charged.

The better TEAM won, not the better 1 or 2 megastars with their 10 nobodies. I would much rather see TEAMS like Detroit, Indiana, New Jersey, San Antonio, and Dallas win it all over 1 megastar (or 2)/11 nobodies like the Lakers, Raptors, and Magic anyday.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>One thing did bug me. Why did Stern give the O'Brien trophy first to that old fart owner who did nothing on the court? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that's the tradition for the NBA Finals.

The owner does just as much in the front office as those 12 players do on the court. He brings in the people to make it happen.

Besides, the guy's obviously doing something right.......WNBA Champs, NBA Champs, AND the Stanley Cup.......that's a heckuva achievement to do at all much less in one year.

Druss
06-17-2004, 11:02 AM
He's got the WNBA Champ too? Wow...he's having a good year!

theterminator69
06-17-2004, 12:39 PM
Pistons cheated thats the bottom line. Go Vancouver Grizziles!

Pete The Greek
06-17-2004, 02:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deogg:
[QB]

The owner does just as much in the front office as those 12 players do on the court. He brings in the people to make it happen. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree. The owner is usually the dumbest piece of the puzzle. That is why they hire GMs, CEOs, Vice Presidents etc. Plus ask any Toronto Maple Leaf fans, win or lose the ACC sells out. Ownership doesn't bring in fans. Winning and superstars usually does the trick.

Deogg
06-18-2004, 05:44 PM
Well, at least we don't have to wory about the LA Egos....I mean Lakers, winning the title next year. Phil Jackson announced today he will NOT be back as coach. Also, Shaq is now demanding a trade, and Kobe has also said he will NOT come back to LA.

Gotta love it!!