View Full Version : Board moved - PM and Search Functions Not Available

Jeff Bohn
06-25-2004, 10:00 AM
We've got the board moved onto a different server now. Next week we're going to move all the data over to a new VBulletin setup - complete with attachment areas, custom avatars, photo gallery, etc.

Post any errors or problems with this move today here in this thread so we can see them. Thanks for you patience!!

[ June 28, 2004: Message edited by: Jeff Bohn ]

frenchy
06-25-2004, 10:27 AM
Thanks Jeff, were moving closer to a reliable board everyone will love. Props to you and all your hard work.

Biohazard
06-25-2004, 11:51 AM
cool guys!! good luck on the updates next week :D

RAS ONE J
06-25-2004, 11:54 AM
Excellent work mods..
Can't wait for the new board..Avatars..YES!!!

Gemini Matrix
06-25-2004, 01:31 PM
Everything seems to be working very well. Finally AVATARS! smile.gif

Spillspleen
06-25-2004, 03:28 PM
Wow thats cool....!!!

My Generation Toys
06-25-2004, 05:40 PM
You know, the one thing that I like about this board is the lack of avatars. I just don't like the clutter.

frenchy
06-25-2004, 05:57 PM
same here soft, oh well at least the board will be stable

Spillspleen
06-25-2004, 06:25 PM
Well as long as they are just the small ones below the names...anything besides that will be no good... smile.gif

My Generation Toys
06-25-2004, 06:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by softassylum:
You know, the one thing that I like about this board is the lack of avatars. I just don't like the clutter.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What I meant to say is that there are a ton of things that I love about this board and no avatars is just one of many things.

And yes, I can deal with the little, tiny avatars or the images that are posted on signature. That just gets out of hand and creates clutter, etc.

Jeff Bohn
06-25-2004, 06:55 PM
Avatars will be limited in size, and we haven't decided if we will allow signature images yet, but if we do they will be limited in size also.

Also, the notes at the top of this thread weren't actually from me, but from Mark, the tech guy at Action Online who did all the work. I just lent him my ID and sat back nervously watching my email box for notification that we were up and running. Thanks Mark!!!

For now the search function is turned off, but that should return when the board upgrade happens (early next week if not earlier).

I'm very excited about the photo gallery function, which will allow you to post pictures of your collection. See the Collection Gallery (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showmembers.php?cat=500) at Sir Steve's Guide for an example of what we are planning.

Thanks to everyone for their patience, it's been a rough year for the board!

Jeff

Rapid Fire
06-25-2004, 09:03 PM
signature images, though nice, are just a hinderance to those of us still in the dark ages of dialup! if you do allow them, please have an option to turn them off!

Biohazard
06-25-2004, 09:32 PM
ok one other question. are we going to be able to keep copies of private messages? or can that not be done with the existing firmware/software?

james strickland
06-25-2004, 09:44 PM
cool so far thxs for a better message board

zartan74
06-27-2004, 01:39 PM
Jeff, just wanted to let you know my PM I got 2 messages from poeple that I am not aloud to open.

Just wanted to let you know......

Thanx,Tom...... smile.gif

Jeff Bohn
06-27-2004, 07:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zartan74:
Jeff, just wanted to let you know my PM I got 2 messages from poeple that I am not aloud to open.

Thanx,Tom...... smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is the error message some people are getting...

"You are not the recipient for that private message
» Please use your browser's back button to return. "

I'll have the tech guy take a look at it tomorrow.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Biohazard:
are we going to be able to keep copies of private messages?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We should be able to yes, VBulletin does support that option.

Jeff

acmirro
06-27-2004, 07:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zartan74:

Thanx,Tom...... smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom, are you getting the messages in your email?

frenchy
06-27-2004, 07:47 PM
Ac, ive got 4 Pm's that werent mine in the last 2 days. No im not getting them in email form.

acmirro
06-27-2004, 07:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve French:
Ac, ive got 4 Pm's that werent mine in the last 2 days. No im not getting them in email form.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just sent you a test PM, Steve, let me know if you got it.

BIGFAN
06-27-2004, 07:56 PM
hey fellas another thing ive noticed is im not getting email notifications from my topic replies anymore

just fyi

BIGFAN
06-27-2004, 08:37 PM
ac your test pm didnt work

acmirro
06-27-2004, 08:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BIGFAN:
ac your test pm didnt work<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is your name Steve?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by acmirro:

I just sent you a test PM, Steve, let me know if you got it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! :D

BIGFAN
06-27-2004, 08:40 PM
well it was cobrastoys then it wsas you and they both were not for me lol

acmirro
06-27-2004, 08:46 PM
Ok, Curt, test pm sent.

Darko
06-28-2004, 08:44 AM
I too have been receiving PMs that aren't mine and that don't give an email response.

the joe bandit
06-28-2004, 09:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rapid Fire:
signature images, though nice, are just a hinderance to those of us still in the dark ages of dialup! if you do allow them, please have an option to turn them off!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just wanted to weigh in as well. The lack of signature is a benefit to those of us who visit the board during play time, oops, I mean at work. Trying to visit some other boards while in the office is just plain impossible!

[ June 28, 2004: Message edited by: bcmeyer32 ]

Jeff Bohn
06-28-2004, 09:58 AM
PMs are officially down right now.

"Jeff - please do shut off the PM's for now -it looks like theres an issue with some file permissions that is causing some numbering to start again at "1" - flatfile databases can have that problem. I'll try to address this asap, but I'm stuck with a sponsor issue
right at the moment."

So for now, they are turned off.

Good news, VBulletin board transfer may be happening tomorrow already! That should fix everything (fingers crossed, knocking on wood, anything else I can think of!)

Jeff

[ June 28, 2004: Message edited by: Jeff Bohn ]

seller
06-28-2004, 11:28 AM
I've gotten some PM's as well that belong to someone else.

action-figures.ca
06-28-2004, 11:54 AM
Yeah images in the signature just clutter things up. It is great to see peoples custom banners every once in awhile, but not on every post.

frenchy
06-28-2004, 12:26 PM
I got it AC but all my Pm's are gone today. They all vanished. :eek:

frenchy
06-28-2004, 12:38 PM
I see, the Pm's are turned off, stupid me! :D

Biohazard
06-28-2004, 05:52 PM
ok does that mean that all my pm messages will come back? i mean i had a few new ones from this morning i didnt even get a chance to reply to yet. *crosses fingers*

Patrick A. Riley
06-28-2004, 07:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Bohn:

Good news, VBulletin board transfer may be happening tomorrow already! That should fix everything (fingers crossed, knocking on wood, anything else I can think of!)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a great birthday present!
:D ;)

Cobra Emperor
06-28-2004, 08:43 PM
I like avatars but I think there should be a single uniform size rule so the board looks nice and orderly.

I'm not overly fond of image signatures but if they are allowed, I would also recommend uniform sizes for them as well.

Jeff Bohn
06-29-2004, 06:36 AM
Board move is scheduled for today. Expect a longer outage than last time, but this should leave us set for a while!

Jeff

Jeff Bohn
06-29-2004, 01:34 PM
Transfer failed today due to a bug in the import script. I'll turn this one back on for the evening and try again in the morning...

RotterdamTerrorCorps
07-01-2004, 03:40 AM
Excellent move with custom avatars etc. If you are interested in the potential of a forum like that, visit:
http://gijoe.nl/advertenties/index.php

Please note, this is not intented as advertising for above website, but just to let you see how cool things can be. FYI: gijoe.nl has not even been customised that much, it is almost running like it came out of the box.

[ July 01, 2004: Message edited by: RotterdamTerrorCorps ]

seller
07-01-2004, 09:14 AM
All my PM's are gone out of my box. Will we be able to get them back later?
thanks

Jeff Bohn
07-01-2004, 10:25 AM
We think you'll be able to recover the PMs when the transfer takes place, but I can't guarantee anything.

Waiting to hear now if the transfer will be taking place today!

Jeff

Jeff Bohn
07-01-2004, 08:20 PM
Update!!!

"If there's any way to get it done by noon-ish we'll go that route. (once the problem is discovered, I've got the actual import routine down pat now - 45 min tops)"

So, it may be happening tomorrow morning! I'll let you know what I find out!

My Generation Toys
07-01-2004, 08:51 PM
Jeff,

Will the traditional YOJOE Color stay the same? I know it's petty, but I like these colors.

Jeff Bohn
07-06-2004, 07:53 PM
Colors should stay the same, or similar. Probably have to tweak that as we go.

Update - Trying to upgrade again tomorrow (Wednesday). Fingers crossed!