View Full Version : When will the Rain Stop?

mrandjr
05-23-2004, 03:07 AM
OK I am all for a good joke and all but this sucks!

I walked outside to see my yard flooded. not just standing water either. I walked out to see just how deep it was over my waist! :eek:

This just ain't cool!

My Generation Toys
05-23-2004, 06:23 AM
Dang, that's a bit much. At least you don't live on a flooded river... do you?

Good luck and hope it doesn't effect your house.

beachhead666
05-23-2004, 07:47 AM
its been raining here for 2 weeks now! itll never stop... not ever!

thorn
05-23-2004, 08:25 AM
hey -
it stopped way back in april, what are you talking about.
heheh
dry year here.
we're already into the cold/hot foggy summer here it seems like.
(but ok two weeks? that's not so bad. we had 27 days straight during el nino.)

[ May 23, 2004: Message edited by: thorn ]

thebigzakbowski
05-23-2004, 10:12 AM
its rains every day here get used to it
sandbag your yard and build a french ditch and it'll be dry in no time

Biohazard
05-23-2004, 11:29 AM
hehe i know how you feel mrandjr, i have had a swimming pool in my front lawn for days. and its not cool they are saying its supposed to RAIN yet again. just as ya dry out it starts up again.

Jason W.
05-26-2004, 03:51 PM
Ahh, sunnny southern California. It hasnt rained here in....well its been so long since it rained i dont remember. There was drizzle here for all of 2 minutes a few days ago.

Well I have to go sit outide relax lookiing at the ocean in the 85 degree heat.

Mr Rage
05-26-2004, 03:55 PM
Yeah well....at least we don't have earthquakes. :D

Mr Rage

crimson tide
05-26-2004, 04:02 PM
It hasn't rained here in almost a week and when it does it usually just is enough to make the grass damp. I feel for you guys who are dealing with flooding. I hope everything turns out alright. ;)

Jason W.
05-26-2004, 06:30 PM
I wouldnt mind an earthquake. It would finally drive some of the real estate prices down. You'd have a heart attack if you knew what we were paying for houses in LA. A friend of mine just bought a 3 bedroom house that went for $725,000, about $75,000 over asking price. Its insane. :eek:

mrandjr
05-26-2004, 08:58 PM
I put in in a 2 foot wide 3 foot deep ditch last year. Finally had the water problem under control. Just to much at once.

Good news was my drainage system worked all the water was gone within an hour and a half after the heavy rain stopped! :D

I agree that a little water is a low price to pay to not have to worry about earthquakes.

drummer1279
05-26-2004, 09:32 PM
Yeah, I've been dealing with flooding issues for 2 days now. I spent $400+ on equipment to deal with this. Not to mention many hours of time spent. I've been through this before in 1993, and I'm sure I'll be through it again in my lifetime. It's just one of those thing's.

Flooding is a terrible thing to go through, no matter how big or small. So in my opinion, comments that you are soaking up the sun, and all is well, is very inappropriate. Why rub it in the face of a VICTOM that you have it so well? That is very distasteful.

My family lost several thing's in this flood, that cannot be replaced. My wife's Senior Year High school yearbook, my oldest son's first Christmas ornament, and a few other unreplaceable items. It is repulsive, and sicking that others have such a lack of compasion for other people. I certainly do not wish harm on others, but if you had a natural disaster affect you, I would not post that, hey everything is great here, 75 degree's and not a cloud in sight. I'm sorry, but I find that to be very disrespectful, and show an extreme lack of compasion. Best of luck to these people, and in the event they face these sort of thing's, maybe they'll understand.

Biohazard
05-26-2004, 09:33 PM
large ditch there man. i had to put in a 2nd sump pump in a small well in front of my house last flood. my basement was like chest high in water, atleast this time it was only ankle deep and i had the brains to leave nothing important in the basement

thorn
05-26-2004, 09:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Flooding is a terrible thing to go through, no matter how big or small. So in my opinion, comments that you are soaking up the sun, and all is well, is very inappropriate. Why rub it in the face of a VICTOM that you have it so well? That is very distasteful. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i hear you . sort of. the topic wasnt so much about flooding at first, just rain.
really, if anyone had said "i ruined by this flood " instead of "when will the rain stop"
nobody would joke.
especially since us west coasters are not only accustomed to 8 months of total sunshine, but 4 months of TOTAL rain.
MUDSLIDES.

it sucks you lost stuff and everything

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> but if you had a natural disaster affect you, I would not post that, hey everything is great here, 75 degree's and not a cloud in sight. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i hope so.
most people laugh at us when freeways collapse and people get crushed, and they ask
"how could anyone live there and take that chance"

really- i can't believe either some of the ways these freeways i am on are built, and some of the houses people build on cliffsides.
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Yeah well....at least we don't have earthquakes <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

anyway, no one was trying to make light of any disastorous flooding, i think we all thought it was just a lot of rain.

i did mention it once rained 27 days straight in march here a few years ago.

but if you are going to attack a couple of innocent light hearted comments ,
well- most of you guys are getting screwed by this rain here, i realize that
BUT-
Des moines?
why . i mean really. its a floodplain.
sandbag city.
i would think you'd be ready for it.
makes about as much sense to have a city there as it does here.
it sucks you are losing stuff and all, but
no need to attack people who are just trying to lighten you up about it , we didnt know it was that bad.
is it this bad:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Associated Press
A Haitian family in Fond Verrettes, near Mopou, wept yesterday for relatives lost in floods caused by heavy rain on the island of Hispaniola.

Flood Toll Rises to 1,950 in Haiti and Dominican Republic
By REUTERS

Published: May 27, 2004

ORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti, May 26 - The death toll from devastating floods and landslides in Haiti and the Dominican Republic rose to at least 1,950 on Wednesday with the discovery of more than 1,000 bodies in a Haitian town.

The bodies were found in Mapou, a rural southeastern town where communications are poor, said Margareth Martin, the head of the civil protection office for the region. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is flooding i would not joke about.

[ May 26, 2004: Message edited by: thorn ]

acmirro
05-26-2004, 10:38 PM
It has been raining in NY every few hours for a few weeks now. It is getting tiresome.

thorn
05-26-2004, 11:45 PM
it just started making national news as a flood problem.

we're pretty much all doomed everywhere.
the planet is melting.

james strickland
05-26-2004, 11:57 PM
you guys don't know how it is to be in humid muggy conditions for the last week and a half when we get rain we also have a chance for tornados to me you can't stop a tornado.

mrandjr
05-27-2004, 07:48 AM
Wow I didn't mean for some people to take this thread personal!

Just a place to vent!!

We had some physical damage to our driveway (I still haven't gotten it totally repaired) but just figured others were in the same.....well boat :D

Have to smile no matter whats going on.