View Full Version : Synchronicity - Odd Reoccurences in Life

Arashikage_Tengu
06-10-2004, 08:46 PM
What is Synchronicity?
Synchronicity was a term originally created by Carl Jung to describe the meaningful coincidences that occur in one's life.
Merriam-Webster defines synchronicity as: the coincidental occurrence of events and especially psychic events (as similar thoughts in widely separated persons or a mental image of an unexpected event before it happens) that seem related but are not explained by conventional mechanisms of causality.
Synchronicity can best be described by examples. Some examples would be thinking of a friend and receiving a phone call from that friend at that time. Another example would be watching a movie and seeing within the story of that film a metaphor for your own life situation. Numbers (especially, dates) that reoccur.
Many believe that when one is open to synchronous events, they can help them make choices in their life, because it is a form of guidance from God or the Universe. Physics has proven that energy and matter are interconnected. One part of the web affects the other. Therefore, all parts of the web are informing each other at all times. Ergo, we are all undeniably interconnected.

I would like to hear stories of synchronicity that have occured in your life. That is, if you have had any. Plus, I would like to know if you think synchronicity is just coincidence, or if it is something more.

I have a couple that I would like to share:

1. My wifes name is Jennifer. Her birthday is on May 12th. Unfortunately, on my wifes fifth birthday, her mother passed away due to breast cancer. Thus, my wifes' mothers' death anniversary falls on May 12th. This week, there has been a five hour mini-series, called 5ive Days To Midnight, on the Sci-Fi Channel. I have been recording the movie, while I am at work, and watch it when I get home. The story revolves around a physics professor and his daughter. The wife/mother has died previously to when the story takes place. It just so happens that the "movie mother" died on the "movie daughters" birthday. This was hitting pretty close to home. So, I have been watching it while my wife slept. However, the synchronicity doesn't end there. In the movie, the daughter returns to her mothers grave site. The camera has a tight close-up of the mothers tombstone. On it, I see a date that stunned me. The mothers' birthday was May 12th. At this moment, I'm tripping out. I decide to wake my wife up, lay out the story, and show her the date on the tombstone. She's taken aback, a little. Still, the synchronicity has not ended, though. I go to work, today, and I start telling the story to my co-workers. I mention the date of May 12th out loud, and this new co-worker, also named Jennifer pipes up, "May 12th? That's my birthday." I'm just totally tripping and trying to figure out what this all means.

2. My birthday is March 10th. I have a fascination with cemetaries and old tombstones. I've seen several comedies and movie spoofs that have used fake tombstones with names that make up a funny sentence, like, Ima Gonner. Well, one day I was in a local cemetary and I got the idea to look around for such a humorous name on grave markers. After searching awhile I had not had any luck. So, I stopped, and I started to pray to God. I said, "God, please, let me find a tombstone with what I'm looking for. Amen." Not two seconds later I look down and see it. Gladys Dunn. Sounds like, "Glad it's done". As in, "Glad it's done and overwith". I start laughing. Then, I look at the dates. The womans birthday was March 10th, my birthday. I really start cracking up and tripping out. It was as if God had laid this all out, as an inside joke, for me. I love it. I later returned to the grave site, with my wife, and took a picture of it. I plan on scanning it into the computer, sometime soon.

Now, let's hear some of your synchronicity stories.

Cernunos
06-11-2004, 06:10 PM
The only thing I can think of is the number "24" popping up in my life often enough for me to notice.

Some examples off the top of my head:

-Last two digits of my SSN: 24
-My phone number when I lived in Illinois: 618-277-4024
-Model number of the calculator my grandfather bought me in high school: EC-4024
-My old unit in Panama: 24th Communications Squadron
-My street address: 2400 Cashion Place

Is this at all what you're talking about or did I totally miss the picture?

Arashikage_Tengu
06-11-2004, 06:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cernunos:
The only thing I can think of is the number "24" popping up in my life often enough for me to notice.

Is this at all what you're talking about or did I totally miss the picture?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, this is a prime example of Synchronicity. There are several different types, though.
Here's a great example of Synchronicity, in the news:

You know how deaths, especially, famous deaths, always come in threes? Well, we have "RAY" Charles/Ronald "REA"gan (often referred to as "RAY" gun, because of his Star Wars program). See? On the third death, I think that there will be someone else with "RAY" referrenced in their name, or they were a part of something that had the word "RAY" was used in.

sox fan
06-11-2004, 06:32 PM
I allways thought it was an album by the Police :D :D