Booyah! Casting Success! [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Booyah! Casting Success!

Joeczar
06-26-2004, 08:47 AM
I got my casting kit a couple of weeks ago, and everything is working great! I started off making molds of the Cobra officer head, Viper head and torso, and an original 12" GI Joe head. Making the molds is the biggest pain of the whole process. The silicone mold maker is the consistency of marshmallow ice cream topping, and is just as sticky. Once it dries it's non tacky and works great.

As forthe casting, the resin is awesome! Just mix the two parts together and pour in the mold. It sets FAST, you have about 45-60 seconds to work with it before it sets. The whole process from mixing to finished product is about 15 minutes!

Ok, the results; the Viper head worked perfect, as did the 12" GI Joe head. The Viper torso is fine now after some trial ad error to completely fill the mold and then get both halves to go together. The Cobra Officer head is the most problematic due to the narrow portion of the neck. I think I have that problem solved now. I painted one of the Officer heads and will soon be replacing one of the TRU heads with it.

I'm excited about the possibilities and now have to wait for more mold builder to make more molds (More Viper parts!)

If anyone has any questions on this process, let me know and I'll do my best to help you out!

ps- I'll post pics soon!

Superior1
06-26-2004, 11:41 AM
Hey I was gonna get into casting but I don't know where to start. Help me, Where can I get the materials,Do I need any sorta tools, where can I buy the materials LMK thanks Anthony

Kir Kanos
06-26-2004, 04:08 PM
I wanted to make some viper heads, where did you get your kit from? And can you cast in a specific color, like white? Thanks

Joeczar
06-26-2004, 09:11 PM
If you want to get started molding, I suggest going to www.miniaturemolds.com (http://www.miniaturemolds.com) , and click on "Alumilite".T hey sell casting kits with everything you need to get started. The starter kits run about $70+ shipping. That may sound a little steep, but once you get casting you find you can make a lot of casts for that price, especially small pieces like body parts and weapons. You can also buy items like mold builder and resin separately for approximately $25 each. Miniaturemolds also sells dyes you can add to the casting to change the color, I saw red, brown, and black (Regular castings come out with a tannish color).

The tools I've used with the castings are an Xacto knife and a Dremel tool/ drill. The Xacto works great for trimming the pieces down to fit on a figure.

Right now I'm attempting to create an entire Scarlett figure so I can do Quarrel and Glenda figures.

toe
06-26-2004, 09:28 PM
looking forward to seeing some pics....:)

Kir Kanos
06-27-2004, 08:18 AM
thanks joeczar!

The Faceless Master
06-27-2004, 08:18 AM
I have a bunch of MK Ninjas, but my problem is that the O-Ring is quickly deteriorating and once that baby snaps, I have absolutely no way to replace them!?!! :mad:

Hopefully one of these days you can cast the torso portion but with a "screwable-in-the-back" protion added on to it? :D

Thanks!!
Ro

Joeczar
06-27-2004, 09:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by donsbabyboo:
I have a bunch of MK Ninjas, but my problem is that the O-Ring is quickly deteriorating and once that baby snaps, I have absolutely no way to replace them!?!! :mad:

Hopefully one of these days you can cast the torso portion but with a "screwable-in-the-back" protion added on to it? :D

Thanks!!
Ro<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For the Viper torso I have done the two piece screw together model, amd it seems to work pretty good! I had to drill a hole to get the screw to sink in, but otherwise it holds nicely! I'll try to get pics up today to show everyone.