What do you use to seal your figs? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : What do you use to seal your figs?

joeboy75
06-10-2004, 02:26 PM
What do you use to seal a newly painted custom? Testor's dullcoat? Or something else. Also, any tips would be helpful, thanks.

amphigory
06-10-2004, 03:01 PM
note: most of this does not work well on the rubbery parts.

i do a layer of paint, then a layer of clear coat and paint mix, then another layer of clear coat or two. i also lightly sand all of the pieces before painting.

i have found for joints, take the figure apart, sand down the joints quite a bit to make room for the paint, paint and replace. this helps keep the joints from scraping the paint off.

hope this helps.

Obiwanjacoby
06-12-2004, 07:08 AM
I use the regular acrylic gloss clearcoat you'd find at Home Depot. Simple and veeerry effective. :cool:

HOWEVER, it's gloss coat. It makes the custom look like a new toy right off the line, as if Hasbro had made it. If you want your custom to look "realistic", then you'll wanna go with what is caled a "matte" dullcoat.

It's your choice. But if I were you, I'd want to seriously think about what it would look like standing next to your other Joes before you tried either clearcoat.

-PJ

GRNLNTRN715
06-13-2004, 09:30 PM
I usually use Acryl flat clear coat. I usually have to use gloss paints to be economical and the flat works every time to give a cloth like appearance and seal the figure at the same time.

Epyon
06-14-2004, 12:35 PM
It's ghetto, but I couldn't find any clear coat stuff...the closest thing was a can of acryllic paint varnish..so I got that. It made the figures a little on the glossy side, but it's ok.