Best way to read GIJOE [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Best way to read GIJOE

Mondak
07-09-2004, 01:38 AM
I have no interest in the value / investing / sollecting side of comics.

Simply said. . . I would like to read them. I want to read Marvel 1-155 and DD 1 through current.

How is the best (read: Cheapest) way to be able to read these things without having to deal with "rare" issues and worry about damaging the "mint" value of the comics? I am willing to pay money here, I just don't want to plop down $750 for a complete catalogue when I really could care less about anything other than imersing myself in the Joe universe once again.

Thanks for the help.

the joe bandit
07-09-2004, 11:16 AM
I believe for the first 50 issues or so, your best route would be the trade paperbacks. After that you would have to get the individual comics.

jedimarvin
07-09-2004, 11:53 AM
I would recommend the trade paperbacks as well. I own those comics but didn't want to risk damaging them, so i picked them up. Youc an usually find them pretty cheap hear and there. I think I got mine off Amazon not too long ago, but they may be out of stock by now. After issue 50, your best bet is eBay. G.I.Joe comics just don't sell for lots and lots of money. I would be surprised if you couldn't find lots or individual issues for dirt cheap. You may also want to try milehighcomics.com They have a huge selesction. Prices are pretty steep but they have 50-80% sales a lot...in fact there's one going on now for Marvel comics.

As for DD...I'd say if you dont have them yet....check out the Devil's Due website and order the trade paperbacks or comics, whichever you choose.

Mondak
07-09-2004, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the recomendations. I just ordered the trade paperback #1 issues 1-10 for $24.95 with tax and shipping. Not too bad for 10 issues I suppose. I had never heard of these things. I have not been in a comic book store in 10+ years. Maybe I will have to stop by as well to see what is happening.

destroscastle
07-11-2004, 04:14 AM
If you don't care about value,(NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE)Read them on the thrown.Most people think better there.Just a thought.

We Turn Away
07-11-2004, 09:51 PM
If you don't care about value,(NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE)Read them on the thrown.Most people think better there.Just a thought.

HAHA!! I was just about to add that! that is the best place to read. no noise, not gonna get disturbed by anyone, and I have no problem with taking any comics into the crapper.

Spillspleen
07-11-2004, 10:28 PM
Not seriously...not seriously at all...if you do you will not get far...lol...!!!!

curmudgeon
07-12-2004, 05:39 PM
I actually have a huge stack of joe comics sitting on the back of my toilet. I reread like 3-4 issues a week that way. I know, I know, too much information :P

cmderinchief
07-12-2004, 07:04 PM
It is a shame those trades go only to 50. I mean you still have two very solid story lines with the Cobra Civil War and the whole SAW Viper episode. Word has it that Hasbro has acquired the whole Marvel run, so maybe we'll see more three-packs with key issues so people can read up and not miss out.

frenchy
07-12-2004, 09:09 PM
I think the best way to read them is left to right :)

Spillspleen
07-12-2004, 09:39 PM
Why not front to back???

frenchy
07-13-2004, 07:41 PM
left to right, top to bottom, front to back, happy now :)

Spillspleen
07-13-2004, 08:45 PM
So not inside out...but outside in...???

nightc1
08-12-2004, 09:26 AM
If all you want to do is read them....

EBAY is a good bet. Just recently I've seen listings for the first 115 issues that went for a pretty fair price (overall about the same as those 5 tpbs at retail price). Not bad at all.

Usually, most issues you can find for $1 on average if you shop around. A couple local comic book stores here actually have bargain bins for $0.25, $0.50, and $1 comics. I've found a ton in the $0.50 bin and more in the $1 bin through the years.

But again, if you want to read them all... best bet is to just ebay for a complete run. If you can get everthing from 1 to 100... that'll take around 4 months to read through if you don't sit down and read through mulitple issues in the same day.

As for the TPB's... EBAY for em. $25 is retail. You can find these things for $10 to $15 on ebay and from guys on the For Sale board here.

Shop around. And you can end up reading through the whole Marvel series for around $250 (mostly due to the last 10 issues and expecially the last one going for good money)

As for the other issues from Image and DD... ebay for em and you can easily get them for $1 a piece (many times less) when buying in bulk. That's the quickest way to go.

Druss
08-12-2004, 09:38 AM
The good thing about the G.I.Joe comics is it was a heavily read childrens series so there are a lot of mid to low grade issues out there which can be had for under $1 each, even under $0.50 each in bulk.

For me if I'm collecting something I want the actual issue, but like you said there are some pricey JOe issues, you can get most of the run really cheap, its just a few specific issues which will hurt, though even in low grade they won't be nearly as bad.

nightc1
08-12-2004, 10:05 AM
Something else that caught my eye Mondak, it looks like you want to get imersed (as you said) in the Joe universe again.

So I take it you grew up with GI Joe and want to go back and read the classic issues?

One negative to the trade paperbacks is this...

You don't get anything more than the actual comic in the tpbs. By that I mean there are no advertisments, no postbox pit... none of the cool other stuff that sort of sets the tone and adds so much more nostalgia to the trip of reading back through the classic Joe series.

I personally enjoy seeing the old videogame ads for the NES, Atari and other systems. I enjoy the ads for TV shows and other stuff. Again, it just adds to the nostalgia. Reading the letters in the PostBox from the pit is interesting too since it pretty much always shows peoples reactions at the time to certain past issues of GI Joe.

So, seriously... consider grabbing a long run of the series through ebay. You'll get much more out of it that probably you originally thought,

Also, just another suggestion. Once you get to issue 50, you're going to probably want to read through the short Special Missions series since issue 50 kicks off the thing. It's usuall pretty cheap for the whole 28 issue series... and IMO it's worth reading through since everythings mostly side stories.

Patrick A. Riley
08-12-2004, 12:32 PM
Going through eBay can be tough. You'll get good overall prices for large lots, but you'll end up with a lot of doubles (like me)

If you want some issues, click my store link below. I have a few in less than mint condition (reading copies as some call them). If you're interested, let me know. :)

sinnister
02-25-2005, 07:13 PM
One negative to the trade paperbacks is this...

You don't get anything more than the actual comic in the tpbs. By that I mean there are no advertisments, no postbox pit... none of the cool other stuff that sort of sets the tone and adds so much more nostalgia to the trip of reading back through the classic Joe series.

I agree...postbox from the pit was one of my favorite things to read in the comics. It's also cool to see what toys were being advertised at the time the individual issue was released.

gunless
02-26-2005, 03:29 AM
another really cheap option is to find someone who has transferred them to cd rom. this seems to be the cheapest way to read them all.

sinnister
02-26-2005, 09:38 AM
I have all of them and have read them several times but would love to have them on cdrom so I could read them from my computer instead of having to open each bag.

whitedalek
02-26-2005, 09:59 AM
I personally enjoy seeing the old videogame ads for the NES, Atari and other systems. I enjoy the ads for TV shows and other stuff. Again, it just adds to the nostalgia. Reading the letters in the PostBox from the pit is interesting too since it pretty much always shows peoples reactions at the time to certain past issues of GI Joe.

Sweet! I love seeing the old ads for Saturday morning cartoons.

Big Iron
02-26-2005, 04:41 PM
I recently broke out the old comics to read straight through and you guys are right, the Ads are cool, but also, I look at all the things I "cut out" to order and remember the day that the boxes came in with all the bounty. I can also tell the issues that I read over and over and the ones that I read once and stored (basically anything after issue 100).

the scarecrow
02-26-2005, 05:55 PM
I have all of them and have read them several times but would love to have them on cdrom so I could read them from my computer instead of having to open each bag.

When opened, Cooobra.com linked scans, issues 101-155. Of course, this infringed on Hasbro's copyright. Now that I think about it, scanning my collection for backup purposes may not be a bad idea. However, you didn't hear it from me.

carnage717
02-26-2005, 07:10 PM

I have all of mine scanned to my computer and I put them also on cd roms for that exact same reason. I love rereading the comics but hate putting the originals through the wear of handling them during reading. I also dont like to keep opening up the bags everytime, seems like the plastic rips easier everytime I tried to open them. I keep a copy of each one on cd roms now just in case something should ever happen to them. I would hate to try and replace the paper copies again.

Brad

Big Iron
02-28-2005, 11:10 AM
one of my buddies that ended up with our combined Comics collection when we all went to different colleges just recently scanned them all in. I looked at the CD, very cool. The only problem is, how do I carry the computer with me into the bedroom or "The library" to read them.

carnage717
02-28-2005, 01:51 PM
one of my buddies that ended up with our combined Comics collection when we all went to different colleges just recently scanned them all in. I looked at the CD, very cool. The only problem is, how do I carry the computer with me into the bedroom or "The library" to read them.

2 words "laptop Computer"

I keep a copy on my home computer and a copy on my laptop computer. That way if Im ever traveling I have something to keep me occupied when I get bored. Cant tell you how many times ive been class or at work and read a couple of comics while I should have been working. :D

Brad

sinnister
02-28-2005, 02:27 PM
I have all of mine scanned to my computer and I put them also on cd roms for that exact same reason. I love rereading the comics but hate putting the originals through the wear of handling them during reading. I also dont like to keep opening up the bags everytime, seems like the plastic rips easier everytime I tried to open them. I keep a copy of each one on cd roms now just in case something should ever happen to them. I would hate to try and replace the paper copies again.

Brad

Looks like I finally have a reason to purchase a scanner! I've been putting it off for years.

carnage717
02-28-2005, 07:03 PM
Looks like I finally have a reason to purchase a scanner! I've been putting it off for years.

If you buy a scanner make sure its a good. Dont go for the cheap ones, they dont scan near as well.

Brad