Any idea why an empty box cost $36 to ship? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Any idea why an empty box cost $36 to ship?

orionlukteel
07-11-2004, 05:02 PM
Check out this item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5908361577&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Did a shipping calculator estimate, and it came up at $35.xx???

Any ideas why so high? It's empty, it's cardboard, and it'd be a cheap buy
if not for the shipping...

Ann G
07-11-2004, 05:15 PM
If that box or the box he is shipping it in has demensions out 34 inches long
17 in wide 17 inches high, they will tack on more. That is the only thing I can think of that would make it cost so much..that is IF the demensions exceed that.

Navajo
07-11-2004, 05:39 PM
Probably just the size, nothing to do with weight. But I got a HQ box, it was folded down, but it was still huge, just not thick, the height and length were pretty large though. I think that cost me about 15 bucks or so.

BIGFAN
07-11-2004, 06:53 PM
plus he has input priority shipping..which makes total sense for that size item

tai95
07-11-2004, 07:11 PM

The seller can also be hiding his "handling fees" with the shipping calculator. When I checked the calculator it was almost 19 dollars and I only live one state away from him. Ebay really needs to start their own shipping company so there can be standard rates. I just ordered my nephew a bounce house that weighed almost 60 pounds and it only cost 17 dollars and it was shiped from Florida. It also came UPS ground, But 30+ to ship an empty box is way to much.

ImaWalkingCorpse
07-11-2004, 08:15 PM
Tai,
Like it was stated earlier. If the box he is shipping it in exceeds the UPS measurement they do tack alot on to it. So while yo umight think 19.00 is too much then it is more than likely UPS charging 18.50 for it.

orionlukteel
07-11-2004, 11:38 PM
I understand it *can* be a function of size, having shipped many items myself. But explain to me how I got a Flagg, WITH the box (collapsed), in two separate bundles for $42 via UPS ground. Much larger in dimension, much heavier by weight. I know how big a Whale box is. I also know the dimension limits for UPS. Which is why $36 (or $19 to the next state) for an essentially weightless item didn't make sense. If the seller isn't collapsing the box (which I would assume he wouldn't), there's a LOT of room to play with before he hit the dimension limits. I just thought it strange.

You can't really throw shipping costs out of whack with the shipping calculator unless you intentionally inflate the dimensions or weight. I just shipped a 26 pound CD player across the country via UPS Ground for under $20 - and the dimensions were larger than a Whale box. Even a Whale box packed in something else.

Perhaps it's just the fact that he's using the Postal service. And Priority Mail, as someone pointed out, to boot. It just corn-fused me, is all.

Thanks for your insights - I learn something new every day, and I've been shipping and receiving for 12 years now...

Peace,
Pat

orionlukteel on yojoe

Kid Canada
07-12-2004, 01:09 AM
tai95 hit the nail right on the head. A seller has the option of adding an extra hidden amount to the shipping cost. The shipping calculator adds that amount on to the actual shipping costs. Basically this is a cash grab by the seller.

Biohazard
07-12-2004, 02:41 AM
Check out this item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5908361577&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Did a shipping calculator estimate, and it came up at $35.xx???

[COLOR=Red]plain and simple is sounds like the seller is trying to "pad" that auction to make up if the auction ends really low. yeah its a cheap auction for that box but i did the s/h calc and came out with $24.10 for s/h which is insane. i know (i ship out rather large boxes) that a EMPTY box should not even come close to that price if its USPS Priority shipping. I mean honestly the min price for that is $3.85 and you have to figure even with a super large box (which is post office should ship just fine) and a sizeable amount of insurance the total for the shipping shouldnt be even close to $10.
*tosses my 2 cents in*

frenchy
07-12-2004, 05:11 PM
[COLOR=Red]plain and simple is sounds like the seller is trying to "pad" that auction to make up if the auction ends really low. yeah its a cheap auction for that box but i did the s/h calc and came out with $24.10 for s/h which is insane. i know (i ship out rather large boxes) that a EMPTY box should not even come close to that price if its USPS Priority shipping. I mean honestly the min price for that is $3.85 and you have to figure even with a super large box (which is post office should ship just fine) and a sizeable amount of insurance the total for the shipping shouldnt be even close to $10.
*tosses my 2 cents in*

I completely understand what your saying but just because its big means its more. Weight has less to do with it when its that size. Theres only so much space on a turck/plane. My guess is $15-$20 is the correct shipping.

themoney75
07-12-2004, 07:12 PM
why is shipping so high? here is some reason you might get from sellers.
bubble wrap
time
gas
paper
ink pens
ebay fees just killing them
lunch and maybe dinner lol
i know i forgot a few.

BelgianGabber
07-12-2004, 07:19 PM
hey, I know this guy who has the same policy!

zartan15
07-12-2004, 09:23 PM
Just for run and all...
I'm a manager at an auto pats warehouse, the shipping is part of my job. We use ups, and I've sent stuff out using their account. We usually ship out auto/truck radiators. It's about $8 to the next state (Georigia). It's about $15 to indiana. I sent a copperhead figure ($6), and a ghuilie suit (10, but it was to Canada). Anyhow, ups is kinda expensive. usps only charges $3-7 for something similar.
Z

Biohazard
07-13-2004, 03:10 AM
Just for run and all...
I'm a manager at an auto pats warehouse, the shipping is part of my job. We use ups, and I've sent stuff out using their account. We usually ship out auto/truck radiators. It's about $8 to the next state (Georigia). It's about $15 to indiana. I sent a copperhead figure ($6), and a ghuilie suit (10, but it was to Canada). Anyhow, ups is kinda expensive. usps only charges $3-7 for something similar.
Z
yeah but the s/h calc is for USPS not UPS

orionlukteel
07-14-2004, 09:56 AM
Got a reply from the seller, guess he wasn't gouging!

--------Original Message----------------

sorry i couldn't get back to u sooner, computer problems. yea the weight was wrong. got mixed up with other auctions. i relisted it, see if its cheaper. Item number: 5909682175

-----------End of Message--------------------

Now we know!
And knowing is half the battle. LOL
Yo Joe!

Peace,
Pat

gunless
07-14-2004, 11:11 PM
looks like he lowered the shipping(a little) and raised the auction start price to 6.00. I used a nj zip and it's still 14.75!

Biohazard
07-15-2004, 03:06 AM
again, seems like the seller is trying to make up the low selling price by upping the s/h price

frenchy
07-15-2004, 04:48 PM
At least we did some good. Lets keep gouging down!!!!!!
Keep reporting this idiots so we can blast them!!!!

ImaWalkingCorpse
07-15-2004, 08:45 PM
Why are we so quick to assume this guy did this on purpose.. my bet is he did make an honest mistake and rectified it. I say we leave it at that.

Super_scrub
07-16-2004, 02:54 AM
Why are we so quick to assume this guy did this on purpose.. my bet is he did make an honest mistake and rectified it. I say we leave it at that.

I checked the "shipping calculator" for both auctions and there was about a $5 dollar difference. But he raised the starting price of the second auction by $5. To me that looks like he has a set price in mind that he wants to get. I would still steer clear of it...

ImaWalkingCorpse
07-16-2004, 02:17 PM
I checked the "shipping calculator" for both auctions and there was about a $5 dollar difference. But he raised the starting price of the second auction by $5. To me that looks like he has a set price in mind that he wants to get. I would still steer clear of it...

I dont know that there is anything to steer clear of.

frenchy
07-16-2004, 02:37 PM
What does the start price matter? So what if he raised it $5? Its better than cheating someone on shipping.

gunless
07-16-2004, 02:58 PM
just trying to point out that he had a certain price in mind, and had possibly jacked up the shipping to get it. the way he did it now is actually a lot more honest, but it still wouldn't be worth it to ME, shipping still seems a little high(especially because the zip I entered is like 3 towns away and comes up as $14.17).

Super_scrub
07-16-2004, 04:36 PM
If you feel it's worth $20 - $36 (depending on where you live) to get the box then by all means bid on it. I'm not trying to discourage anyone.

I work in a shipping department... check that... I am the shipping department for the company I work for. I just ran some quotes through the computer and here is what I came up with. (Granted we get a discount for volume so you can add about 40% for one time shipments)

FedEx Overnight NJ to Oregon: $21
FedEx Three day: $8

UPS Ground: $4.50
UPS Three Day: $8

Numbers are rounded up and assumes Whale box is flat. If the Whale box is left as is pictured then the FedEx numbers will go up a little but the UPS numbers stay the same.

If the seller is willing to ship one of these methods then I'd consider bidding on it, but if he was not willing to ship any other method then what he stated then I believe he is trying to make money on shipping. Just my observation...