Must I read Marvel to read Image? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Must I read Marvel to read Image?

thoughtcrime
07-16-2004, 11:47 PM
I'm new to the world of Joe comics, but I want to get into them. Do I have to read the 155 Marvel issues to appreciate the Image/DD series? And on a side note, if they followed Marvel continuity, why didn't they start with #156?
Thanks.

Obiwanjacoby
07-17-2004, 12:28 AM
Breathe a sigh of relief, your answer is "no".

Unless you wanna know who Billy is or SE's origin or whatnot. There's very little that's necessary to enjoy the DD series (which I'm having a hard time getting into to begin with).

-PJ

thespar
07-17-2004, 07:56 AM
if you read the about them on the sites that tell you the story you will be all right

thoughtcrime
07-17-2004, 07:25 PM
Awesome. Thanks. Now to decide on getting the trades, or waiting for those comic 3-packs (if I can even find them).

Hellstrom
07-18-2004, 01:44 PM
If all you care about is reading what has come before then grab those Marvel tradepaperbacks. That will take you up to issue #50 and then you can pick up most of the rest of the issues fairly cheap until you get into the #130-#155 range. Those issues are hard to come by at good prices. You might get lucky although because I scored a #155 at the convention for $15. (I needed a replacement for my collection.) The Devil's Due run can be picked up fairly cheap as well and the entire run is collected in tradepaperback except for issue #5. Good luck in your purchases and hope you enjoy what you read.

Eric Leavitt
07-19-2004, 09:13 AM
I would say you don't need to know anything from the Marvel run if:

1) you are fluent with the text of the filecards. Background information on Snake-Eyes and Stormshadow that appeared in the comics is all right there.

2) [especially if] you start out with issue 26 of the Devil's Due run because Jerwa's writing is good and you don't even need to know what happened in issues 1-25.

the joe bandit
07-19-2004, 10:39 AM
I say that because after comic 3-pack # 9 they are going to start jumping around. It may mess up the continuing storyline factor for you. That is my only beef with the 3-packs because I was buying them for not only the toys, but was just as excited for the comics. I myself have never read GIJoe # 1, and am looking forward to that soon!

jedimarvin
07-19-2004, 12:28 PM
I would say yes, you have to read Marvel first. Simply because the Marvel run is far superior then DD. Don't get me wrong, I love the DD run, but the storylines and character development in the originals eries cant be beat...IMO of course. Besides, like otehrs have said, with the TP's and such you can get the Marvel run for a fairly reasonable price.

thoughtcrime
07-19-2004, 09:28 PM
I think I will go for the Marvel trades, since I'm having a hell of a time finding the 3-packs. I will also start getting the DD issues. Thanks guys.

curmudgeon
07-20-2004, 01:14 AM
Don't miss out on the marvel ones. I've read a ton of the DD issues and not a single one has ever been satisfying to me. Whether you like the new ones or not, the old ones are too good to miss out on.

Antarctica
07-20-2004, 02:20 PM
I would say that your enjoyment of the DD series is hugely increased if you know the back story from the Marvel run. Because that is the one major difference between Blaylock and Brandon.

Brandon has a much better grasp of the GI Joe past. He throws in little bits all the time that tye back to MArvel. Most recently Rip Cord comments about being a Joe.

And when old members like Falcon show up, there is no reference to who he is if you haven't read the Marvel series. And the possible connections they have to the partiulcar events that are happening.

Overall, it improves your reading of hte series, and The Marvel run rocks.

thoughtcrime
07-21-2004, 10:45 PM
I think I will pick up those old Marvel trades. They ain't cheap though.

nightc1
08-10-2004, 02:56 PM
I think I will pick up those old Marvel trades. They ain't cheap though.
Every so often (right now for instance) someone will sell all 5 of the marvel TPBs on ebay in one lot for around $60 or something. SO you can get a good deal on em if you keep your eyes open to ebay.

Also, the first 50 issues don't tend to sell for super high costs anyway. Yes #21 might run you a few bucks more than the others... but if you just want to read the comics you should be able to get most all of them for $1 or less a piece... again... if you shop around. Ebay is a great place... but also local comic book stores are often times even better.

Ebay though, you'd have a good shot at a long run of comics. For instance there's a guy selling the first 115 (I think) on there. OF course it's already just over $100... but if you stick to the $1 an issue valuation it's not too hard to pay $1.10 an issue to $1.25 and get a massive amount of comics in one nice lump :)

Patrick A. Riley
08-10-2004, 03:34 PM
I say yes, get the Marvel issues.

In fact buy them from me on my site! :D ;)

thoughtcrime
08-10-2004, 07:55 PM
Actually I scored the Volume 1 Marvel trade this weekend at the comic shop for $12. Not a bad deal. I'm also collecting the individual Devils Due issues, I have 1-5 now. I just dumped Reloaded, and boy do I feel better. :)

Completist_Junkie
08-13-2004, 08:31 PM
If all you care about is reading what has come before then grab those Marvel tradepaperbacks. That will take you up to issue #50 and then you can pick up most of the rest of the issues fairly cheap until you get into the #130-#155 range. Those issues are hard to come by at good prices. You might get lucky although because I scored a #155 at the convention for $15. (I needed a replacement for my collection.) The Devil's Due run can be picked up fairly cheap as well and the entire run is collected in tradepaperback except for issue #5. Good luck in your purchases and hope you enjoy what you read.
I've been wondering why they didn't bother reprinting #5 of the Devil's Due series. :confused:

seaneley
08-27-2004, 01:59 AM
Why Dark Horse's "G.I. Joe Extreme" failed: it didn't reference the original Marvel series...

Why Devil's Due's "G.I. Joe Reinstated" succeeded: it referenced and followed the original Marvel series...

Is it important? Yes! There was simply something about these characters and their history...