Uh, oh......Secto Viper Repro Gear! - Page 5

yojoe.com

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    I would like to mention this only because I think its worth saying, but this is by far one of the most interesting threads I have ever read on this forum. There are obviously pros & cons to this argument & all opinions have merit on the topic . I am definitely "PRO REPO" but that being said , I appreciate the point of view of those of you who are against repos- to each there own as it were. To this very day the accessory packs (#2-#6) are the single most annoying thing Hasbro ever did for G.I.Joe , I absolutely hate those colored accessories ! Of course I have all but 1 of them MOC ( weird right ?) . I wish someone would make repo parts that people could use , but that you would know they were repos- like say a BLACK skystriker tail wing , something that could be used as aspare on any custom skystriker ( think NIGHT BOOMER) or say a black steering wheel that could be used in a number of different vamps ( or two different variants for a large portion of the vamp variants around the world) I think its just a matter of time before we see something like this, or is this just wishful thinking on my part ? lets keep this thread going ,who else out there has a opinion on this subject ?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

This is a good point. While I wouldnt object to a different color (or even shade of the same color), the color has to make sense and look good. No neon orange riffles or the like. With the secto viper helmet the only change I can think of that would look good would be maybe a light tint. You would have to be careful to not go to dark that it obscures the face.

Right on navy viper. This has been a great debate.

There are three camps:

1. Pro distinguishable repros ("repros are cool, as long as you can tell them apart from the original")
    2. Pro indistinguishable repros ("all repros are cool, including matching ones like the new secto viper helmet repro")
    3. Anti repros ("if Hasbro didn't make it, then I don't want it in my collection)

It sounds like you and I fall into the same one, Pro distinguishable repros.

I think it would be interesting to have a vote (not that it will change anything, just to see where people fall). I'll start another thread with a poll next time I'm at a computer!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

What happens if the repos color is changed and it becomes more popular and desirable than the original? Like the recolored para viper was, or less fragile stun flags, something like that. Wouldn't this deminish the price of the original as well? I think 3djoes suggestion of making this into a poll is a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by j_inmon View Post
    What happens if the repos color is changed and it becomes more popular and desirable than the original? Like the recolored para viper was, or less fragile stun flags, something like that. Wouldn't this deminish the price of the original as well? I think 3djoes suggestion of making this into a poll is a great idea.
    Ooh! I would love some repro flags (distinguishable of course :-). Who sold those? Anyone have a link?

My one exception to always preferring the original was Clutch v2. The dark brown accents really look nice paired with the accessory pack helmet! Clutch (v2) - 3DJOES

That said, I still always keep the original helmet nearby so he's "complete".

I think if more popular distinguishable repros come along, most collectors will want to have the "complete" original as well as the repro, but maybe that's just me.

Broken arrow toys made some at one time, but it looks like they are having trouble with their website so
    i can't confirm they are still making them, and I think they are the same color. As far as collectors wanting the "complete" original, it just depends on the collector. There are a lot of people out there that have customized some very expensive Gi Joe items changing the colors. I'm thinking of the the Python patrol Uss flagg and Defiant. Maybe they have two, but I don't think the resale value or originality of these where a priority when they did them. It all comes down to a persons motivations for collecting.

Please disregard, this was an errant double post

For those completely against indistinguishable repos, How do you feel about replacement orings or t bars? Would you prefer the original rusty screws over replacements? How far dose the desire for the figure to be completely original go?
    Last edited by j_inmon; 12-04-2013 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j_inmon View Post
    For those completely against indistinguishable repos, How do you feel about replacement orings or t bars? Would you prefer the original rusty screws over replacements? How far dose the desire for the figure to be completely original go?
    My philosophy is "if it aint broke, don't fix it"

Parts do break on these old figures though and I don't think twice about repairing them. I've replaced hundreds of o-rings and dozens of t bars and I still consider those figures complete. The o-rings and t bars aren't even visible once reassembled.

I've never replaced rusty screws but I have cleaned plenty.

I've set up a poll. Please go vote here!

http://forums.yojoe.com/toys-1982-19...ease-vote.html