Remove yellowing from plastics.. fix found. - Page 7

yojoe.com

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by myst32yt View Post
    Its the second Joe I have ever tried it on... I am sure you give perfect results on everything you do on the second try. However, I have to mess with it... improve the process... learn from my mistakes. What works well on white transformers will need to be changed to work well on other items. Certainly it may turn back to yellow, or blue or black or whatever. But just because H2O2 converts back is not 100% assurance that doing it another way will also give the same results. BTW everyone keeps bringing up that H2O2 works on vehicles, but not figures... Fine, I am trying to improve on whitening figures... not vehicles. If I put an *** load of work into only doing as well as H2O2... well i just wasted my time and had fun doing so. I realize H2O2 sets the bar... just let me know if and when I pass it. If someone has before and after pix of H2O2 cleaned figures please post them.

"other than seeing fellow Joe collectors mess up good figures."

I agree, messing with the plastic assumes risk. I would not recommend anyone trying this on a $400 figure. All that I have been trying it on are 2$ figures that nobody wants and nobody is going to collect. It is a cheap, easy, way to make unsavory figures look more appealing. Like I said before... I bought both Stormshadows for less than a cup of coffee. The fact that the Cobra emblem "slightly" degraded while the overall appearance of the figures improved exponentially has it's own form of value. However I am not a collector... so you all tell me... after the process does this Stormshadow have less value than the 2$ I paid for it or more? Which one are would you rather own?

"you're going to have to do a little better in my opinion"

You are going to have to give me more than 1 day. Retooling takes time..

For example...

Yeah I know.... it's not drop dead band new out of the box perfect. However in my opinion it is a step in the right direction. His head is the same in both so I could have a reference color. Yeah, it's still fading... but not degrading like the other one. Plus it is on colored plastic... a whole other beast. Someone drop this guy in 43% H2O2 and post the results... I would love to see it.

Allow me to mention that I only designed this to work on white... I am only trying it on other items because others showed interest in it working on other items. The fact that it does not perform to your standards on something it was not intended to be used on is not a problem that really concerns me.
    Keep in mind I'm playing the devil's advocate/skeptic for your benefit

All of my crit has been about white objects, so IDK what you're talking about really, but anyway....

Again it would probably work well on vehicles, but that's nothing that can't be done with a $0.88 bottle of H202.

This pic above shows the cobra emblem losing some of it's surface for sure. In all honesty it looks like your process yields pretty much the same results as H202. I really don't think that's something you can try to patent/trademark and make money on. I admire your ambition and willingness to test, but honestly I think your energy would be better spent on another venture. It's a really negligable market even if you come up witha perfect solution. Good luck.

You don't have something unique here, and that's the basis of your claims. Sorry dude.
    Last edited by CobraLALALALA; 08-26-2011 at 04:46 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

What happened to the Storm Shadow?
    Take it easy,

Drew

Vintage, International, 25th and ROC WANT List: http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.p...821#post468821

Final for this part.

Remove all the yellow from your FLAGG....
    http://chemkitdepot.com/ussflagg10pi...ationpack.aspx

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by darthdrew13 View Post
    Sorry, got busy last night with parts people sent. Will prob get him out there tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by myst32yt View Post
    Final for this part.

I never thought that would have looked that nice ever again. Bravo good sir! I'm very excited to see how the colored parts turn out!

Quote Originally Posted by darthdrew13 View Post
    Here you go... The black sash across his chest looks like it had some paint chips removed... this is not the case, they were gone before the process began. You can prove this to yourself by placing the pic in a photo program and pushing the brightness way up. You will notice that the specks pop out.

Last edited by myst32yt; 08-27-2011 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fat_kids_joes View Post
    I never thought that would have looked that nice ever again. Bravo good sir! I'm very excited to see how the colored parts turn out!
    Thanks... working on them now...

Quote Originally Posted by CobraLALALALA View Post

that's nothing that can't be done with a $0.88 bottle of H202.
    Let's play a friendly game of put up or shut up. I just posted a picture of my latest Storm Shadow... Let's see what you can do with your $0.88 bottle of H202.
    Reading your other posts....

Quote Originally Posted by CobraLALALALA
    I've done 3 Storm Shadows with varied levels of success.

The main thing I notice is the torso section can end up losing paint. The silver paint will come off very easily, and it can end up making the Cobra symbol like orange.

I do it piece by piece now. I also use scotch tape on certain area to protect it form direct contact with those trouble sopts, but it is not easy to do. You have cut little tiny pieces of tape and be really nimble with your fingers, or use tweezers.
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraLALALALA
    Having tested this A LOT. I think it's GREAT for vehilces, and a FIGURE DESTROYER. It causes elbow discoloration no matter the figure, despite covering them, it also makes the plastic more brittle in some cases, leading to cracked parts. Don't put anything in there excpet the worst of the worst BROWN Storm Shadows. Other than that, leave the figures out of there.
    ... it is apparent you have done more than I. So this should be a walk in the park. Be sure to post your stats... My SS was in 250ml of solution for 36 min. If taping off all that paint is too much work then I am open to a much simpler fig... how about Snow Job?

Here is mine...

250ml solution for 49 min. I take him apart... I drop him in...check on him every five min..wash, dry, done. No tape.. No UV.. No "elbow discoloration" that I can tell (I have no idea what you are talking about).

It's a really negligable market even if you come up witha perfect solution. Good luck.
    What market? GI Joe market? Sure, It would be difficult to make a living left to just that market. However, the actual market for this is far larger. Including... Vintage car parts, RV parts, Pool restoration, Vintage computer restoration, old game console restoration... on and on. Heck I have a lady sending me a 60+ year old yellowed wedding dress to try it out on.

You don't have something unique here, and that's the basis of your claims. Sorry dude.
    Your basing this on what... 2 pictures? You would make a great scientist and an even better statistician.
    Last edited by myst32yt; 08-27-2011 at 12:37 AM.

FLAGG crane base, 2 hours...

I'm sold, how soon will I be able to buy your solution off your site?