GI Joe Tattoos - Page 5

yojoe.com

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: GI Joe Tattoos

Hey new member, here. I hate bumping old threads, but I wanted to share this one with everyone:

And here is the back story:

For years, I have always wanted to get a tattoo. First time I can remember talking about it was probably around 15 or so. But I was one of those people that thought it was stupid (I believe my exact words were "****ing stupid") to walk in and pick a piece of flash off the wall. It is a total lack of personality, since anyone can get it. And most people tend to get something that "looks cool" now and regret it years later (I have friends now that have done that). So I made a vow that I would never get anything off the wall, no matter what.

In this decision process, I had to think of what was important to me, something that has incredibly deep meaning and something I can always think of when I look at it.

Now to you it may look like just another geeky GI Joe tattoo. However that is simply not the case.

When I was younger, my cousin Jimmy and I were always playing in my back yard....he was Storm Shadow and I was Snake Eyes. It was a ritual for years...epic battles that could go on for hours on end. At the time, that was the be all end all for us, If anything got in our way of being these two characters, we would simply go around it. But there was more underneath the surface. At the time, my aunt and uncle (Jimmy's parents) were fighting a lot about many things. So this was a nice distraction for Jimmy. Meanwhile on my side (and Jimmy's too, on a much smaller scale), our grandfather had died. About a week after my brother was born in September of 1987. My mom was a mess, new baby and the death of her father, it was certainly a very weird time then. This kept us from going totally nuts. And granted we were 5 and 8 at the time, it still something I remember fondly.

Year later (about 10), I had visited Jimmy in Michigan with my parents as part of a vacation. This would have been around 1996-ish and I hadn't seen Jimmy in close to 6 years. And you never know how people are going to be when you haven't seen them in a long time. As soon as I stepped through the door, he said, "So how's it going Snake Eyes?" As if we had just seen each other the day before...not even missing a beat. It was a cool moment in my life...something I won't forget.

It may sound corny, but that is what I think of when I look down at this tattoo. I think about all the good times I had with my cousin and I also remember all those things going on then and how we got through it.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Great story mac - thanks.
    Nice work, too!
    This is where my signature would be if I had something to say.

Hey all,I just wanted to share my new GI Joe tat with everyone.I decided to get Snake Eyes v2 card art from 1985 because he was my favorite character growing up and I always loved the 85 version.Sorry for the bad pic,it was taken on my cell.Its not finished yet,I go back next month to add the burst/explosion in the background.

My original idea was to get him completely filled in with color,but after my artist finished the shading she and I both decided to leave it how it looks now,with the option of adding more color if I want when I go back.I'm still undecided on that part.What do you guys think I should do? Fill him in with color or leave him just black and shaded? Any suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Poverty's Paradise NM - Home of the Nuclear Holocaust, Green Chile, Pink Skies, & Blue Meth...
    I'm super bored and I wanna' see some Joe tats. Pics and links appreciated.
    I'M A MAC

NEEDED: SDCC Gold PDD, SDCC Blue Suited CC, SDCC TTT SGT. Slaughter, SDCC Starscream, SDCC Shockwave, FSS Nano BATs, FSS Desert Scorpions & FSS CGIs, MISB/UNUSED MIB M.A.S.K. stuff, a factory tachometer for a 65 Chevy Impala, lawyers, guns & money...

Want LiSSt...

TOP FIVE:
    Dondi CIA
    Bates AIO
    Dream TDK
    Jepsy TRD
    Bob Ross PBS

right upper arm:

Left upper arm:

I have this:

On the my left calf

Heya,
    I have Arashigage clan tattoo on my right arm. Classic red, my tattoo artist was also a Joe fan and very hyped to do it.
    We used to think this was *the* coolest tattoo ever when we were ten year old. It still is. Also my twin sister has black clan tattoo and our brother will take his soon.
    Here we are: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	con_ninja.jpg 
Views:	3345 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	32561

Edit: After reading topic through, I have to add... Every time clan symbol is noticed, people either say "cool tat!" or ask very carefully "what does it mean..?" and have that hopeful glow in their eyes. That's the jackpot. It's like releasing monster when I say it's Arashigage - they've known it, just not dared to say out loud for I'm a woman. Except one DJ, who practically went happily maniac and shouted it to his coworker. Quite needless to say, I got song I asked very quickly.
    Last edited by Velkyn; 10-31-2013 at 05:41 AM.

Poverty's Paradise NM - Home of the Nuclear Holocaust, Green Chile, Pink Skies, & Blue Meth...
    Cool tats everyone. I see the affinity for different Joeverse factions is broad.

Quote Originally Posted by Velkyn View Post
    Heya,
    I have Arashigage clan tattoo on my right arm. Classic red, my tattoo artist was also a Joe fan and very hyped to do it.
    We used to think this was *the* coolest tattoo ever when we were ten year old. It still is. Also my twin sister has black clan tattoo and our brother will take his soon.
    Here we are: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	con_ninja.jpg 
Views:	3345 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	32561

Edit: After reading topic through, I have to add... Every time clan symbol is noticed, people either say "cool tat!" or ask very carefully "what does it mean..?" and have that hopeful glow in their eyes. That's the jackpot. It's like releasing monster when I say it's Arashigage - they've known it, just not dared to say out loud for I'm a woman. Except one DJ, who practically went happily maniac and shouted it to his coworker. Quite needless to say, I got song I asked very quickly.
    Cool pic! You guys look like you know how to have fun.
    I'M A MAC

NEEDED: SDCC Gold PDD, SDCC Blue Suited CC, SDCC TTT SGT. Slaughter, SDCC Starscream, SDCC Shockwave, FSS Nano BATs, FSS Desert Scorpions & FSS CGIs, MISB/UNUSED MIB M.A.S.K. stuff, a factory tachometer for a 65 Chevy Impala, lawyers, guns & money...

Want LiSSt...

TOP FIVE:
    Dondi CIA
    Bates AIO
    Dream TDK
    Jepsy TRD
    Bob Ross PBS

Hehe, aye. It was great day. We heard whispers and shouts all around us from 30-somethings "hey, hey, look, it's Snake and Storm..!" or "lookie, those tattoos are REAL..". So much fun, we were on flames. Not greatest suits at the 'con (unbelievable Halo armors..) but for sure most energy. Did some sword tricks and nunchas and have light sparring with brother for the show.

Great tattoos!
    VISIT MY NEW COLLECTION AND COMMENT IT :

http://www.joedios.com/dioramas/brow...&imageuser=444