Sunbow: GI Joe 1988

yojoe.com

Sunbow: GI Joe 1988

We all know an '88 Joe series never existed but lets say it did. Who do you think would play what parts for the '88 series? You got to have your leaders, comic relief, tough guy, wise @$$, goody-goody, etc.

Sgt. Slaughter: leader of the team who continues to turn regular missions into various forms of training missions like he did in the Joe movie.

Budo and Storm Shadow: the odd couple. Both guys are well versed in martial arts but Storm Shadow is more into meditation and is cold and calculating while Budo is a party guy who enjoys life.

Lighfoot: the nerd who turns everything into a mathematical calculation.

Hit & Run: the wet behind the ears young guy. Got a heart of gold but lacks the experience.

Repeater: no nonsense tough guy.

Muskrat: 1988 version of Gung-Ho, slapstick comedy and all.

I'm interested to see wat y'all can come up with in this series or the later lines.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I could've seen Tiger Force being used very often, and mostly in response to the Iron Grenadiers follied attempts at creating big Destro style weapons of mass destruction.

I can imagine Spearhead being considered more tenacious than MAX

Maybe Hardball shouting out baseball euphemisms as he "strikes out" a DEMON tank.

I think Skidmark would've been the comic relief, though, contrary to his file card. But Bazooka's cartoon characterization was the same contradiciton to his filecard. I could see script writers using him in comic fashion, plus he would be around with the desert fox as the primary jeep of the cartoon.

Interesting topic!

Awesome! Thanks for your input and for ..er...breaking the ice.

I'm working on receiving a certificate for creative writing at my university and one of our projects is to write a short fictional story/script on any interest. Well I chose GI Joe dammit. I've decided to structure my style on how the Sunbow cartoon stories were written. I'm going to write a five parter for the 1988 series just as there would have been if the series continued.
    The story is about a Cobra vs. IG civil war w/ GI Joe stuck in the middle.

I like your idea about Hardball. I'm not going to mess w/ any of the drivers. Maybe if their figures were cooler I'd care more.

Charbroil and Blizzard are the two main guys I'm stuck with. The best ideas always come from the fans. Any ideas are a big help. thanx.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I too had thought of Destro's army attacking Cobra Commander's (I pretended C.C. had already became "human" again and wore his armor, Serpentor would be listed as "M.I.A." after the movie). Baroness would be on Destro's side while Zarana (or a returning Pythona) would be at C.C.'s.
    The Iron Grenadiers would also wage war against BATTLEFORCE 2000. Tiger Force would appear halfway into the season. Seeing Duke's team in action would inspire Falcon to create his own team for 1989: Night Force.
    A rivalry between Super Trooper and Road Pig would do nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by gun metal View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for your input and for ..er...breaking the ice.

I'm working on receiving a certificate for creative writing at my university and one of our projects is to write a short fictional story/script on any interest. Well I chose GI Joe dammit. I've decided to structure my style on how the Sunbow cartoon stories were written. I'm going to write a five parter for the 1988 series just as there would have been if the series continued.
    The story is about a Cobra vs. IG civil war w/ GI Joe stuck in the middle.

I like your idea about Hardball. I'm not going to mess w/ any of the drivers. Maybe if their figures were cooler I'd care more.

Charbroil and Blizzard are the two main guys I'm stuck with. The best ideas always come from the fans. Any ideas are a big help. thanx.
    this book may help inspire some ideas if you can find it. Christy Marx wrote some of the GIJOE sunbow series.
    Amazon.com: Writing for Animation, Comics, and Games (9780240805825): Christy Marx: Books
    my thoughts on the 88 series:
    vehicle drivers never got much screen time even though their vehicles did. exceptions would be Wild Bill Lift Ticket Ace and Slipstream.
    so Ghostrider and maybe Windmill would be featured in more than one ep.
    Blizzard would get one"snow" episode probably just like Iceberg did.
    Shockwave and Hit and Run would be the leads.
    Storm Shadow would be a leading character as well, focusing on his turning into a Joe team member in the first five parter ala Arise Serpentor Arise Revenge of Cobra Pyramid of Darkness etc.
    Repeater has the big gun so he would be written like Roadblock.
    Road Pig would be the featured Dreadnok but this would be tough because by this time the original noks would no longer be available in stores. He would wind up like Gnawgahyde did in Operation Dragonfire, a stand alone character.
    Joe animals added some characterization that a human character couldn't, like Timber or Polly, so Max would be cast in that light maybe even purring for Spearhead.
    all the no face characters of Cobra would be used in at least one episode.
    Sunbow planned major changes after the movie to Cobra, Voltar and Destro may be used much more extensively with Serpentor and CC taking a back seat.
    Tiger Force = one episode
    Night Force = one episode
    Muskrat has a lot of potential as a Flint/Gung ho type character. I can see the show trying to use his wakeboard at least once.
    Budo I see being used like Spirit the mystical character that is pretty cool but we dont know a lot.
    Hard Ball would be comic relief as mentioned with the sports references taking precedence.
    all the other joes would be used sparingly, just take a look at how Blowtorch, Tripwire, sci fi were used.
    so Charbroil would be limited use coz of his weapon same with Lightfoot.
    Sgt Slaughter would be in there in some capacity as well, he stuck around even through the DIC years.
    Super Trooper would give him a run for his money.
    Steel Brigade would replace greenshirts.

Blizzard's file card makes him out to never make mistakes, take that idea and run with it.
    Charbroil has a cool weapon but again I dont see him being used much outside of the first five parter, which btw is what I would base this project on.
    the five parters introduced all/most of the characters for the year in one big story arc that gave each one a small scene.
    Charbroil is from Minnesota so give him a Norwegian accent and a fear of water since it is the land of 10,000 lakes.

A constant comic relief is Wildcard breaking stuff. I remember this in the Marvel comics ( I think it was issue #90). It was too bad Sunbow only animated the 1988 Joes/Cobras in comic & toy ads. And we didn't see most of them in the DiC era. Storm-Shadow and Road Pig were there.

I also didn't like the fact that the animated ads had started swiching laser colors, a year before DiC made it standard with "Operation: Dragonfire".
    Last edited by RedSkullCobra; 02-18-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Although some older characters would be used less, one would be recurring more: Airtight.
    Who else in 1988 would the Joes turn to for help in preparing for and dealing with the Toxo-Vipers?

The Hydro-Vipers would mean all the sea Joes return (even Shipwreck). Seeing how the Eels, Morays, Sea Slugs and Secto-Vipers feel about the Hydros would indicate how Cobra's naval forces operate. Mara did say she was supposed to be a volunteer for this amphibious troop program.

The Astro-Vipers and Star Vipers mean a space race with G.I.JOE's astronauts and the U.S.S. Defiant.

Muskrat would get along with fellow Louisianan Gung-Ho.

Would Beach-Head tolerate Shockwave? Law would.

Blizzard and Avalanche of BF 2000 would guarantee an appearance of the Ice Vipers and the W.O.L.F.

Road Pig would bring an appearance of Zanzibar and the Drednok Cycle.

Since Windmill's Skystorm is a Copter/Jet hybrid; he would be with fellow copter pilots in one mission and with Maverick of BF 2000, Ghostrider and the other jet jockeys in another in one episode or even in the same battle.

I can see heavy fights with both Armadillo and Steam-Roller. Steam-Roller's Mobile Command Center can be for defensive purposes while Armadillo's Rolling Thunder is an offensive juggernaut. I wonder how many D.E.M.O.N.s and Maggots would be overrun before the Rolling Thunder reaches the Terrordrome?