Collecting US version variants...need help to clarify. 1982 to 1994

yojoe.com

Collecting US version variants...need help to clarify. 1982 to 1994

So, I try to collect these "variants" with no luck. I am trying to 1. clarify they exist 2. obtain a photo of the "variant" so I know what to look for 3. confirm it is a US release, cause if it is International it belongs elsewhere in the collection and not with my US variants. Here is the list, I would greatly appreciate your input.

1. Zap, does he come in both thin and thick thumb versions as well? I clearly have thick thumbs.
    2. MOBAT, I have 3 types of battery covers, 2 types of treads and 2 types of .50 cal gun tips. Is there a 3rd gun tip type?

1983 FANG, is there a landing skid variant? If so is it a variant of retail vs. mail away?
    1984 MANTA, is there a variant in the manner which this was packaged for shipping? I thonk what I have was a repack and I am looking for a photo of someone else.
    1985 Parachute pack, is there a variant in the manner which this was packaged for shipping?
    1987 Sneak Peek, does his periscope have a variant?
    1990 Sky patrol figures, is there a phot out there comparing these variants in the parachute packs?
    1990 Metal Head aside from the "thin peg" "thick peg" variant, is there another variant type for this figure?
    1990 Sonic Tunnel Rat, does he too have a variant inteh electronic pack with regards to the rings around the buttons as teh other figures do?
    1991 General Hawk, is there a color shade variant for his grey weapons?
    1991 Incinerators, what is the variant for the launcher? What does it look like?
    1992 Destro, what is the variant for the launcher? What does it look like?
    1993 Keel Haul, is there a US variant for the patch on his back?
    1994 Stalker, is there a version of the yellow paint application on a horizontal GIJoe logo card?

After researching this site, among others, I cannot find solid confirmation of the above referenced variants. I do have many variants of my own (in hand) that are not included in this site and I will work to contribute/verify them with this site for everyone to enjoy. (as soon as I get a quality camera).

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

"1993 Keel Haul, is there a US variant for the patch on his back?"

There is a large patch variant which is more common, and a small patch which is less common.
    ForceFull1's Cheap Joes and Transformers
    http://forcefull1.weebly.com/

1983 FANG, is there a landing skid variant? If so is it a variant of retail vs. mail away?
    Yes. They changes skids and iirc a couple small details near the thrust. I don't know if it is a mail-in vs retail thing.

1987 Sneak Peek, does his periscope have a variant?
    Take the clip off. The hole that is under it appears in several places. Additionally, the detail on the bottom of the periscope is different. On some, lines go all teh way to the edge while on others it stops just short of it.

1990 Sky patrol figures, is there a phot out there comparing these variants in the parachute packs?
    When I get them, I will be able to take pictures.

1990 Metal Head aside from the "thin peg" "thick peg" variant, is there another variant type for this figure?
    No, not that I have heard of. But the missiles on the thick peg one are a lighter yellow.

1990 Sonic Tunnel Rat, does he too have a variant inteh electronic pack with regards to the rings around the buttons as teh other figures do?
    All of the Sonic Fighters (NOT Super SF) have 3 distinct backpacks. There was a change to where they were made (which changed some details) and the change in rings around the buttons.

1991 General Hawk, is there a color shade variant for his grey weapons?
    Yes. The light one is harder to find.

1991 Incinerators, what is the variant for the launcher? What does it look like?
    Sorry no pic yet, but look under it. It was reinforced.

1992 Destro, what is the variant for the launcher? What does it look like?
    This one is easy to see in almost any image of them. It altered the launcher so much that they had to alter the packaging bubble. Earlier ones do not have screws. Later ones have screws that are offset to the sides and stick out.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by NotCool View Post
    So, I try to collect these "variants" with no luck. I am trying to 1. clarify they exist 2. obtain a photo of the "variant" so I know what to look for 3. confirm it is a US release, cause if it is International it belongs elsewhere in the collection and not with my US variants. Here is the list, I would greatly appreciate your input.

MOBAT, I have 3 types of battery covers, 2 types of treads and 2 types of .50 cal gun tips. Is there a 3rd gun tip type?

FANG, is there a landing skid variant? If so is it a variant of retail vs. mail away?

The MOBAT has four battery covers, two tread types, three (with a probable fourth) bodies, and four gun tips.

The FANG has a flat and raise landing skid bottom. Both were at retail. During the time of the Dreadnok FANG 85/86, the engine lost the two "nub" details that are flanking the rotor mast. If you have a non-nub and raised skid FANG it is likely not US retail.

Pm Sent
    Last edited by Tolan; 01-20-2013 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Clarification
    Inevitably successful in all circumstances.

Just to elaborate, I think some of these changes are yearly revisions done to increase durability or quality. As an example from what I can tell, the Metal-head had skinny and easily broken pegs in 90, then when he was re-issued in 91 they made the pegs thicker so they don't break off so easy. Crimson Guard was fuschia in 85 and looked faded, then re-issued in 86 as a proper deep crimson color. Motor-Viper in 86 had a sky blue head and the paint wore off easily, in 87 they re-issued him with a dark blue head which is less prone to paint wear. There are tons of little revisions like this and some are easier to spot than others, but I'm not sure if this kind of thing would count as a variant.
    Net-Viper X
    Cobra Command Computer Interface Expert

Net-Viper X's G.I.Joe Customization Archive

Quote Originally Posted by Net-Viper X View Post
    but I'm not sure if this kind of thing would count as a variant.
    Some of these have been on the community's variation list as far back as 97. Why would you not count them?

The thing about the word "variant" or "variation" is that it has a broader meaning outside of Joe collecting and toy collecting. But Joe fans have been cataloging these since before 3 3/4" Joes even existed. In the last 2 or 3 years, there seems to be some change in what people want to call a variant and there are other terms, such as "running change" that have their own specific meanings. But then people use them to try to prove/disprove a variation. I am trying to make sure that the definition, as far as yojoe's list goes, remains constant. But I am curious why you would not include these.

Quote Originally Posted by notpicard View Post
    Some of these have been on the community's variation list as far back as 97. Why would you not count them?

The thing about the word "variant" or "variation" is that it has a broader meaning outside of Joe collecting and toy collecting. But Joe fans have been cataloging these since before 3 3/4" Joes even existed. In the last 2 or 3 years, there seems to be some change in what people want to call a variant and there are other terms, such as "running change" that have their own specific meanings. But then people use them to try to prove/disprove a variation. I am trying to make sure that the definition, as far as yojoe's list goes, remains constant. But I am curious why you would not include these.
    I'm just careful about what I call a variant around others. Some people count anything all the way down to a missing paint app (factory flaw) as a variant, while others will say that it has to be a purposeful change at the factory like when 25th Stalker was released in two seperate paint schemes or Star Wars Battle Droids being released in four seperate patterns of battle damage.

For me the things I listed are indeed variants, but a missing paint app is not. Where as I also do not consider the four types of droid battle damage or the two stalker camo patterns to be variants but rather as seperate figures. For instance the battle droid with the bullet holes I do not consider a variant of the battle droid with the claw marks, they are two seperate figures as far as I am concerned since they have distinctly different markings and were all sold on shelves at the same time. I guess it just all comes down to what the term "variant" means to a particular person. Sorry If I caused confusion, it was not my intent.
    Net-Viper X
    Cobra Command Computer Interface Expert

Net-Viper X's G.I.Joe Customization Archive

OK, so countless hours shopping and collecting and still no solid verification or pictures to account for these variants. Looking for help to confirm the following WITH photos if you can please.

1983 Collectors case. I know the figure labels changed slightly to account for the 1983 characters. Is there any change to the actually make up of the case itself?
    1987 Sneak Peek. I got the 2 versions of the scanner device worked out (thank you), but is there anything to do with the "lines" on the scope as well as the hole?
    1990 Metal Head. I have the 2 versions of the pegs/holes for the launchers worked out (thank you), but is there anything to do with the details of the launchers themselves being 'raised' vs 'recessed'?
    1990 Sonic Tunnel Rat. Is there any photos available confirming that his sound effect pack has a version without the rings around the buttons?
    1991 Incinerators. How can one see the "reinforced" catapult while the item is still MOC?
    1992 Destro. How can one see the "reinforced" catapult while the item is still MOC?
    1994 Stalker. Is there a carded version available with the yellow highlights and the "GIJoe" logo running across the top?

I haven't had a lot of time. Some of these though, can be found by looking at a handful of online images. 92 Destro is one that should have been obvious from the start. The carded image has no tabs. The loose one has tabs.

going to ebay...

tabs:
    G I Joe Accessory 1992 Destro Disc Launcher | eBay
    G I Joe Destro Vintage 1991 New in Unopened Packaging | eBay

no tabs:
    Destro C9 Loose Complete 1992 Gi Joe | eBay
    Gi Joe Cobra ARAH 1992 Destro V3 100 Complete w Filecard C8 5 | eBay

They had to change the bubble holding it to make room for the screws on the sides.

Huh, I was looking at something different. I have probably passed over this countless times never even realizing it. Well, I am certainly NOT notpicard...thankyou, let's chaulk this one up as "resolved". Any assist on the others?