Collection hoarding ?

yojoe.com

Collection hoarding ?

I have seen some really very nice collections on here, some really huge collections on here & some very well displayed collections & then theres the people on here who dont like to show there collections, but you can kinda tell who they are & that they probably have some pretty neat or very rare stuff in there collection- just a guess ?

but no matter the size , the condition or what line you collect , no matter who you are or how long you've been collecting we all face the same evil : SPACE MANAGEMENT

So the point or question I am getting at & would like to hear your opinion of is on this collection that been auctioned off on eBay for several weeks now:

L750 Huge Box Lot 4 lbs Gi Joe Cobra Laser Viper Action Figures Approx 60 Fig | eBay

L751 Lot of 4 Gi Joe APC Vehicles Amphibious Personnel Carrier | eBay

763 Huge 6 lb Lot 1986 Gi Joe Viper Cobra Infantry Troopers w Parts Accessories | eBay

these are just a sample of some of the auctions going on, there have been some very nice auctions & some very incredible auctions (IMHO) from this same collector. ( its my understanding the collector passed away & that a auction house is handling the liqidation of the collection)

why would someone collect so many G.I.JOEs and do you think they were displayed ? how much space would it take to have a collection like this ? do you think this person was a toy dealer or one of those odd types that just cant get enough of something in life ? was just curious what some of you all thought of these auctions & the collector who once had it all ?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

He collected the toys in the 1970s-1990s and bought them at retail as they were released. I heard he was a Vietnam Veteran who liked to customize and create dios. How large his storage space or display space was is unknown. For all we know he had a pole barn, warehouse, etc to set up displays.

Quote Originally Posted by navy viper View Post
    I have seen some really very nice collections on here, some really huge collections on here & some very well displayed collections & then theres the people on here who dont like to show there collections, but you can kinda tell who they are & that they probably have some pretty neat or very rare stuff in there collection- just a guess ?

but no matter the size , the condition or what line you collect , no matter who you are or how long you've been collecting we all face the same evil : SPACE MANAGEMENT

So the point or question I am getting at & would like to hear your opinion of is on this collection that been auctioned off on eBay for several weeks now:

L750 Huge Box Lot 4 lbs Gi Joe Cobra Laser Viper Action Figures Approx 60 Fig | eBay

L751 Lot of 4 Gi Joe APC Vehicles Amphibious Personnel Carrier | eBay

763 Huge 6 lb Lot 1986 Gi Joe Viper Cobra Infantry Troopers w Parts Accessories | eBay

these are just a sample of some of the auctions going on, there have been some very nice auctions & some very incredible auctions (IMHO) from this same collector. ( its my understanding the collector passed away & that a auction house is handling the liqidation of the collection)

why would someone collect so many G.I.JOEs and do you think they were displayed ? how much space would it take to have a collection like this ? do you think this person was a toy dealer or one of those odd types that just cant get enough of something in life ? was just curious what some of you all thought of these auctions & the collector who once had it all ?
    Last edited by spiderpumpkin; 01-27-2013 at 12:36 AM.

I did the same thing for awhile just buying anytime I saw a decent deal but storing almost all of it until I really came to the conclusion that if its stored away then Im not really enjoying my collection.
    They say it is ok to talk to yourself as long as you don't answer. But sometimes you need to have intelligent conversations.
    http://forums.yojoe.com/wanted/10394...want-list.html

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I would think you would need a barn at the absolute minimum to have this on display.

Quote Originally Posted by navy viper View Post

These auctions will be the biggest many of us see for a long time. My personal thoughts are maybe it was "Joe therapy" but who knows. Some people buy expensive cars, etc. to feel happy. Excellent thread from JoeCustoms (subj: "Never Seen anything like this on Ebay"). In the thread, people ask the same thing, then kind of examine the motives for their own curiosity and more of the whys behind it. (LINK) To address any feeling of hesitancy or "Is it a good idea to ask" questions that might come up - People are meaning-making/meaning-seeking creatures and I think its natural and not improper to ask for more information, they empathize with someone who shares their hobby, they want to know about his well-being. So I wrote the auctioneer once on, "Who was this guy?" but never heard back. I was suprised today finding the auctioneer's post in the thread:

Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:31 pm David Jensen was a vietnam vet who collected massive amounts of war related toys back in the 80's so he could design battle recreations, he also was involving in design related to these recreations including modifying some barbies (another story). He has since passed (FL) but before he did sold his collection to an eBay VP's family and it sat for years in a storage bin until we were called to place his collection up for absolute auction. We are Estate Road Show Auctions LLC from Killen AL and we are the only auctioneers who sell using ebay (Live). His collection is not done, still have more GI Joes and a massive amount of toys which had to be relisted because of a bad buyer in China. Just monitor our site at Estate Road Show Inc. and more should show up in Jan 2013. Enjoy, if he was alive this collection would have never been sold.

There's a JoeWiki page on Mr. Jensen, I think it's great someone made that small tribute for lack of any other readily accessible info.

Brings to mind that I've been to maybe three estate auctions, my first one being just a few years ago, tagged along with my folks. The others just stumbled on while out biking. They are obviously really popular with antique-hunters. The first was definitely a strange feeling, not sure what to say except they're humbling & I try to be respectful. Hope I haven't been a downer but just wanted to jot down a few thoughts.

I think it's easy to see those auctions and think about ourselves, our own possessions, and that insignificant aspect of our own very significant end.

That's a lot of Cobras he must have had one heck of a collection.