Need some advice, and need some PRONTO

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Need some advice, and need some PRONTO

Occasionally I poke my head on Craigslist, specifically the Seattle-Area listings, and I come upon this one the other day:
    GI Joe Collection 3 and 3/4 inch
    I contact the guy, I ask him to give me a couple of days to mull this over, and if I do decide to go with it, we can meet in this place that's easy to get. But I am a bit apprehensive about this for two reasons:
    1. The $50 he's asking for, which he states he's being firm on.
    2. Aside from the Ninja-Viper's broken waist, I have no idea how good a shape each of these figures are in.
    I talked to someone about it today, and they suggested I ask the guy to bring them on the day of the meet and I can decide then and there if I want them. But I still have my doubts. So I ask all of you--should I go with this offer? Please reply to this as soon as possible.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Well, it's good to see and touch, if you can, it's a good start!

Yeah, they look pretty good in the pics, but couldn't tell if there were elbow cracks. They'd need to be in good shape for me to be worth the 50, though that's mainly because the only ones I'd be wanting to get were the ninja viper and cobra soldier. But with the others and the accessories they're probably worth it if they don't have elbow cracks or other issues.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If the Ninja Viper wasn't broken - awesome deal. Since it is, just decide how badly that matters to you. I wouldn't buy it, but then I have a Ninja Viper and don't like broken waists (I can tolerate a broken thumb!)

I was coming up with a justification for the Ninja-Viper. I was thinking that if I got a really yellowed (but unbroken) Storm Shadow waist, I could paint it up in the same teal as the Ninja-Viper.

Recently (may still be) there was a ninja viper bagged (the no accessories version) for 64.99 I think. I wouldn't mind getting a ninja viper, but the broken waists (and thumbs, and cracked elbows) bother me. It's weird, but it seems like the figures I have with cracked elbows were the ones I bought as an adult, not the ones I played roughly with as a kid that I still have.

If your Joe budget is not too tight, I'd go for it. Your repair idea for NV sounds all right, and it is always possible you can find one otherwise broken but with a nice crotch someday. For me the real issue is the inclusion of the junk VvV/JvC figures and two of the best ones having broken crotches. Judging by the paint on T & X, they look like they could be pretty decent figures overall but who knows.
    Last edited by Kronz; 03-15-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronz View Post
    If your Joe budget is not too tight, I'd go for it. Your repair idea for NV sounds all right, and it is always possible you can find one otherwise broken but with a nice crotch someday. For me the real issue is the inclusion of the junk VvV/JvC figures and two of the best ones having broken crotches. Judging by the paint on T & X, they look like they could be pretty decent figures overall but who knows.
    So, how do you suggest I approach this in light of the two broken figures?

I would see if he would meet and let you decide on the deal after you had a look at them. The twins, Cobra and Ninja Viper if nice are probably worth the asking price even without accessories. Part out CC and make penny ante trades with the rest, or you may even find someone who loves that build of Joe and just needs them. Looks like the gear is all 00s repro pack-ins but if any of them are originals that would make up the value nicely too. Honestly I think you'll regret not getting the NV if you pass on this, even broken. Parts for him don't come up often at all, so if you had him even as a piece to part out you could probably get several figures worth out of him.

Don't forget if you do decide to repaint a SS waist, there are several cheapish options from remolds over the years, though a nasty yellowed original probably will match the plastic quality better.
    Last edited by Kronz; 03-15-2013 at 06:16 PM.

I had a broken Quarrel (UK scarlett). I just glued a black piece of plastic where the codpiece would've been. Couldn't tell the difference. Ten second fix that displays perfectly.
    You could paint a small piece teal and glue it on the waist rather than try to colour match a whole Storm Shadow waist. Works well enough for display. It only affects the broken part - the rest of the figure stays clean. And you don't have to find a yellow Stormshadow and ruin the waist of it either.
    If you went to the trouble of posting this - you know you want to buy it. Just go for it.
    You can always try to negotiate for $45 or something if that would ease your conscience.