screw removal question

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

screw removal question

I've read about many different methods, but does anyone know a really good way to get out stripped, rusted screws? I've tried drilling but it is very easy to screw the whole thing up.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Stripped screws

If it's not 100% stripped (say, 95%) I've been able to drive a flathead screwdriver into what little remains of the grooves and back the screw out that way. It has resulted in very little damage to the figure, if any.

I also have a bit driver with about 100 different bits; usually I exhaust my selection of phillips and flat head bits before trying a star wrench bit (kind of like an allen wrench bit but with points instead of dull corners). That usually is able to catch on grooves you can't see via inspection. Typically I can get either the flat head or star wrench to do the trick, but I've had about 1 in 100 kick my butt with no hope of recovery. LOL

Someone actually sold me an AVAC in a single figure case that looked at the very least near mint. As soon as I went to put him in the firebat, the o-ring gave out. Not a problem, I had plenty of those. So I went to open him up and the screw was stripped and rusty. How that is with an otherwise darn near perfect AVAC is beyond me.

So believe me, I was extremely careful with that particular screw extraction.

Never tried drilling, but some dremel bits are small enough to get in there, and you might be able to grind the head off without cutting into the figure. Haven't tried that, tho.

Best of luck!

Peace,
    Pat

That doesn't suprise me. I just got a bunch of loose figures and many of them are in really good condition but all the screws are really bad. When you say bit driver, is that just a screwdriver that has different heads other tips? I think I need to get one of those star wrenches. I've had really bad experiences trying to drill screws out (destroyed an original Firefly torso!). I wouldn't suggest it. Thanks for the tips!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I've drilled out some screw's and it worked very well, but then came a crankcase torso, the screw spun all the way through the torso(it was custom fodder so no big loss).

So rather than use a right hand twist drill bit, a left hand twist drill bit would be the best thing to use(IMO).

Being left handed twist, it's twisting the screw outwards instead of inwards(like with a right hand twist drill bit).In other words acting like a screwdriver.

I hope this makes sense to those reading it.

hi

i use a drill bit very small one its worked miny times for me just make sure its smaler the the screw it sealf u can drill off the top and it pulls out a litel then just twist it off the back off the joe

I can not stress this enough... Take your time removing and placing screws in.. I have broke body parts doing it to fast or hard..
    The path of collecting is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil scalpers. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepherds the lost through the valley of aisles. For he is truly his brothers keeper by leaving one on the peg and I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers collection, and you will know I am a true collector when lay my vengeance upon thee.

this topic really needs to go into the FAQ stickie Druss is compiling.
    This question appears at least once a month.
    "Empty yourself of ego, ambition, attachment and fixed ideas about the way the world is. It is ... as it is.
    Come to terms with this Truth (it is as it is) and life can be faced with tranquility and be neither pessimistic nor optimistic but realistic."

Use WD40 to loosen it up

Use WD40 to loosen it up

Use a eye dropper & drop a couple of drops of Coke (the soda) in there & let it sit over night. This works 95% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthCobra
    Use a eye dropper & drop a couple of drops of Coke (the soda) in there & let it sit over night. This works 95% of the time.
    What does that do, just loosen it up?
    Currently Looking For:
    An unbroken/mint; '83 HQ "base" (the big main part), 1 MG and 2 cameras; Brazil Gatilho.