G.I. Joe: Retaliation Wave 3.5 - What changed?

yojoe.com

\r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n General_Hawk\r\n \r\n
\r\n General_Hawk is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n Generals Joes\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n General_Hawk\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n

\r\n G.I. Joe: Retaliation Wave 3.5 - What changed?\r\n

\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n When in hand images of the upcoming G.I. Joe: Retaliation Wave 3.5 figures emerged, there was an immediate reaction from the fanbase, and not all of it was good. Certainly many folks are greatly looking forward to this upcoming "super assortment" of G.I. Joe figures, but there appeared to be some significant differences between earlier images of these toys and the actual finished product. As one might imagine, pre-production items are often different than the final figure, but that didn\'t stop folks from pointing out some perceived flaws.
\n
\nI don\'t think anyone can argue that there has been a fundamental change in the way Hasbro (and other companies as well) are viewing toy production in general, and the action figure industry specifically. Plastic feels different, articulation has been hit or miss, and in many cases (thankfully not with G.I. Joe) the toys seem like almost an after thought. One look at these figures will tell us that G.I. Joe is getting a lot more love than lines like Wolverine, Man of Steel, and Iron Man 3, but I think it\'s still appropriate to point out exactly what seems to have changed from pre-production to final production. Feel free to respond to this thread and point out things I might have missed. Keep in mind, too, this is only based on press images, I do not have these items in hand as of yet.
\n
\nI also realizing comparing one pre-production image with another pre-production image is probably a fruitless exercise, and the figures could be even more different by the time they are in hand, I thought it would be a fun thing to do regardless.
\n
\nCrimson Guard
\n

\nClick image for larger version. \r\n\r\nName:	01_Crimson_Guard.jpg \r\nViews:	2373 \r\nSize:	130.1 KB \r\nID:	21581
\n
\n
  1. Facemask changed from silver to black
  2. Helmet Badge silver

\n
\nBudo
\n

\nClick image for larger version. \r\n\r\nName:	02_Budo.jpg \r\nViews:	2650 \r\nSize:	136.1 KB \r\nID:	21591Click image for larger version. \r\n\r\nName:	03_Budo.jpg \r\nViews:	1750 \r\nSize:	44.7 KB \r\nID:	21601
\n
\n
  1. Flatter colors throughout, not as "glossy"
  2. Face sculpt and paint is a bit flatter
  3. Production figure looks a bit more bland

\n
\nCobra Commander
\n

\nClick image for larger version. \r\n\r\nName:	04_CobraCommander.jpg \r\nViews:	5116 \r\nSize:	109.7 KB \r\nID:	21611
\n
\n
  1. Head sculpt appears to be different. More in line with the Best of the 80\'s DVD pack and not as new as previously thought

\n
\nStorm Shadow
\n

\nClick image for larger version. \r\n\r\nName:	05_StormShadow.jpg \r\nViews:	1704 \r\nSize:	98.1 KB \r\nID:	21621
\n
\n
  1. Masked head appears to be different. Re-used tooling instead of new?
  2. Unmasked Byung Hun Lee head now included (as a tie-in to Retaliation?)

\n
\nKwinn
\n

\nClick image for larger version. \r\n\r\nName:	06_Kwinn.jpg \r\nViews:	1327 \r\nSize:	102.8 KB \r\nID:	21631
\n
  1. Looks largely the same

\n
\nData Viper
\n

\nClick image for larger version. \r\n\r\nName:	07_DataViper.jpg \r\nViews:	1569 \r\nSize:	102.3 KB \r\nID:	21641
\n
\n
  1. Looks largely the same

\n
\nSnake Eyes
\n

\nClick image for larger version. \r\n\r\nName:	08_SnakeEyes.jpg \r\nViews:	1726 \r\nSize:	83.9 KB \r\nID:	21651
\n
  1. Head sculpt now appears to be re-used G.I. Joe: Retaliation "Ninja Duel" version instead of a more vintage accurate version

\n
\nDuke
\n

\nClick image for larger version. \r\n\r\nName:	09_Duke.jpg \r\nViews:	2976 \r\nSize:	114.2 KB \r\nID:	21661
\n
  1. Paint applications are not quite as "clean", but that is likely just part of the production process.

\n
\nRoadblock
\n
\nClick image for larger version. \r\n\r\nName:	10_Roadblock.jpg \r\nViews:	1624 \r\nSize:	100.4 KB \r\nID:	21671
\n
  1. Brighter colors
  2. Weird 5 o\'clock shadow thing going on

\n
\nFlint
\n

\nClick image for larger version. \r\n\r\nName:	11_Flint.jpg \r\nViews:	805 \r\nSize:	94.4 KB \r\nID:	21681
\n
  1. Largely the same

\n
\nFirefly
\n

\nClick image for larger version. \r\n\r\nName:	12_Firefly.jpg \r\nViews:	2627 \r\nSize:	95.8 KB \r\nID:	21691
\n
  1. Slightly different color shades
  2. Missing Cobra logo on chest

\n
\nCobra Combat Ninja
\n
\n
Click image for larger version. \r\n\r\nName:	13_Cobra_Combat_Ninja.jpg \r\nViews:	2603 \r\nSize:	103.4 KB \r\nID:	21701
\n
  1. Many fewer digital camo paint applications
  2. Webgear no longer has black trim
  3. Paint is brighter and a bit less detailed

\n
\nAgain, I understand comparing once press image to another is probably a little silly, but I wanted to get it all straight in my own head before really trying to talk it out. I think there are some valid complaints out there. I much prefer the overall look of the more detailed Cobra Combat Ninja to the newer version, but you know what? The figure still kicks butt, and I believe comes with an extra weapon or two.
\n
\nI\'ve read complaints about Duke\'s paint applications, but the digital camouflage still looks really good in my opinion, not just on Duke, but also Flint and the Cobra Combat Ninja. Yes, Cobra Commander\'s excellent new head sculpt may be gone, but I had no issues with the Best of the 80\'s one, and to me, the important changes for that figure were from the neck down, and that\'s all still intact. Snake Eyes\' head change doesn\'t bother me at all, as I\'ve got about 6 - 8 vintage accurate heads at home I can use if I really feel the need to. I like that they included an unmasked head for Storm Shadow, and Firefly (who I once thought was the most boring figure in the set) has really started to grow on me as well.
\n
\nI will say I do have some concerns about the quality of the plastic on the new figures and how well they\'ll hold up to a pile of accessories (like Data-Viper). But, truth be told, for the same price point, these figures are 200% better than Wolverine, Iron Man 3, or, well, every single other 4" action figure toyline on the market. I think that\'s why it\'s so frustrating that G.I. Joe seems to have such an uphill battle. Quality truly doesn\'t seem to matter any more, it\'s all about brand recognition, media tie-ins, and other fringe marketing. These are well designed, impressively articulated, awesomely accessorized, bad ass action figures. It\'s frustrating to no end that this doesn\'t seem to be enough in today\'s retail landscape.\r\n
\r\n
\r\n\r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
Managing Editor YoJoe.com
\r\nWebmaster GeneralsJoes.com
\r\nReviews, News, and Opinions
\r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n -' + '->\r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n Reply With Quote Reply With Quote \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n -' + '->\r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n\r\n'; pd[735221] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #2\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n turner\r\n \r\n
    \r\n turner is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n turner\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n The accessories are something on this wave, I want some of those robot heads that come with the trooper, and the duke drone. So glad to get kwinn, and the snake eyes, storm shadow are fabulous. The new ankles on the cobra commander I don\'t like, otherwise he would be fabulous.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n Reply With Quote Reply With Quote \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[735301] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #3\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n troynos\r\n \r\n
    \r\n troynos is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n troynos\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n I\'m still looking forward to this wave. Have like 5-6 Combat Ninjas pre-ordered and will grab whatever I find at retail.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    Join the New England G.I. Joe Collector\'s Group: Battleforce New England
    \r\nhttp://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps2cdd9bf8.jpg
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[736262] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #4\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Lt. Clutch\r\n \r\n
    \r\n Lt. Clutch is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n Lt. Clutch\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n I feel sorry for Budo fans \'cause that head sculpt has gone from plain awesome to waxy knock-off. Night and day, man. It\'s downright embarrassing.
    \n
    \nStorm Shadow and Firefly are also huge disappointments. Those early pics showed so much promise when compared to the final product.
    \n
    \nAt this point, I\'m just glad that we\'re getting Kwinn! He appeared in a handful of comics between \'82 and \'83, so it\'s kind of difficult to mess him up as a figure. Also, I never held out any hope of seeing him in the vintage line since he\'s been dead for three decades now and he was killed off in the franchise\'s second year. He\'s had nothing but time since then, but Hasbro finally got around to his classic mercenary look.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[736302] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #5\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n turner\r\n \r\n
    \r\n turner is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n turner\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Yeah, the kwinn is probably the most looked-forward-to figure since childhood for me.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[736332] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #6\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Plastica\r\n \r\n
    \r\n Plastica is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    US NY or Arizona depending on time of year
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n I\'m still not convinced I\'m going to get too many beyond a Data-Viper and Kwinn but you never know\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[738332] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #7\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Shockwave1242\r\n \r\n
    \r\n Shockwave1242 is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n Shockwave1242\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Is that an alternate head for Duke? If so, I\'ll buy it just for that and use that head. the red goggles and helmet look pretty cool. I wish they had stuck with the "first" rifle though. Looks like mine.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[739112] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #8\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n nickvree\r\n \r\n
    \r\n nickvree is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Take a look at Duke\'s knees. Not sure why, or which one is correct, but one of them is upside down.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[750792] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #9\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n SillySpook\r\n \r\n
    \r\n SillySpook is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n SillySpook\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Storm Shadow looks pretty cool as does Snake Eyes. Firefly isn\'t too bad.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[750842] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #10\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n MonkeywrenchF118th\r\n \r\n
    \r\n MonkeywrenchF118th is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n MonkeywrenchF118th\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n I\'m really let down in the loss of detail on Duke and the Combat Ninja.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[752421] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #11\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Un_Chakal\r\n \r\n
    \r\n Un_Chakal is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n Quote Originally Posted by General_Hawk\r\n View Post\r\n
    \r\n

\nFirefly
    \n

\nClick image for larger version. \r\n\r\nName:	12_Firefly.jpg \r\nViews:	2627 \r\nSize:	95.8 KB \r\nID:	21691
    \n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    The logo isn\'t missing, the photo of the original is mirrored so it\'s on a different side than it is in the actual item. Look at his collar, you\'ll see it opens one way in one picture and another in the next. I see the logo plain as day in both.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[762852] = '\r\n
  • \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #12\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n BigBrawler\r\n \r\n
    \r\n BigBrawler is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n Member\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n BigBrawler\'s Avatar\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n I\'ll be picking up Kwinn and Rockblock, er, Roadblock.
    \nReally think they did well with the Rock\'s Ultimate figure.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n -' + '->\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; // next/previous post info pn[735201] = "762852,735221"; pn[0] = ",735201"; pn[735221] = "735201,735301"; pn[735301] = "735221,736262"; pn[736262] = "735301,736302"; pn[736302] = "736262,736332"; pn[736332] = "736302,738332"; pn[738332] = "736332,739112"; pn[739112] = "738332,750792"; pn[750792] = "739112,750842"; pn[750842] = "750792,752421"; pn[752421] = "750842,762852"; pn[762852] = "752421,735201"; // cached usernames pu[0] = guestphrase; pu[4134] = "General_Hawk"; pu[12423] = "turner"; pu[9321] = "troynos"; pu[12451] = "Lt. Clutch"; pu[18351] = "Plastica"; pu[82471] = "Shockwave1242"; pu[81011] = "nickvree"; pu[88662] = "SillySpook"; pu[9735] = "MonkeywrenchF118th"; pu[27773] = "Un_Chakal"; pu[28624] = "BigBrawler"; // -->

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
      Quote Originally Posted by General_Hawk View Post

Firefly

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12_Firefly.jpg 
Views:	2627 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	21691
      The logo isn't missing, the photo of the original is mirrored so it's on a different side than it is in the actual item. Look at his collar, you'll see it opens one way in one picture and another in the next. I see the logo plain as day in both.