Why not worthwhile repaints

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why not worthwhile repaints

Hasbro has been repaint happy since the late 80's, but especially as of the early 2000's these repaints have been pretty useless. Sometimes changing only one color and releasing in the same year. So why does it seem like with the modern era line they avoid some obvious ones. I would actually want to buy modern era repaints that recreate classic figures instead of movie inspired figures painted 10 different ways. I am not saying make only redouxs and no movie figures, I know everyone has different tastes. How about things like repainting water moccasin for the tiger shark preferably with a TF Torpedo. Using the vamp for a mark 2 with tan clutch and the tiger force version. There are so many figure repaints for sub teams as well as molds they could create and get multiple legitimate uses out of like Dodger, there are 2 figures right there BF2000 and Sonic Fighters. This could be done with any figure where the sub team version was just a repaint of the original, like Artic commandoes. The Sky patrol could reused molds with only new heads. Instead they leave it to the club where they make less then selling it themselves and collectors get screwed with higher prices and limited availability.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I think a big part of it is the Hasbro Execs think that collectors aren't the major portion of their business and they have to make 2-3 version of SE, Duke, and CC every year cause the kids aren't interested in new characters. So there's a few slots filled with that instead of classic repaints. Staying on that theme they probably figure that the Tiger Force and BF2000 stuff won't sell to kids these days. And I can't really blame them, hard to sell something called Battle Force 2000 in the year 2013(and BF3000 seems a really long way away). I'm with you though. Why can't we get a TF Lifeline for $10 instead of a $350 set from the Club(just a guess on my part)?
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny View Post
    Don't You Go Injecting Reality Into My Fantasy

G.I. Joe had an extremely successful run with character diversification for 14 years until the started releasing the same characters all the time, I know off the wall sub teams and neon colors were strong factors too. Now they keep doing it and have to reinvent the line every year to keep kids interested cause it's the same stuff. Why not go back the old proven model.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Tiger Force would make a fantastic Internet exclusive pack in the same style of those 7 Packs Hasbro released. A lot of those figures like Lifeline, Airtight, Dusty, Tripwire, Recondo, etc. that Hasbro has already molded in the the 25th Sculpt style are solid. They'd make great repaints. I'd really like a set like that. All in one affordable set, too. They could make it around $40.00 or something.

I agree. Tiger Force Outback, nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by rea1180 View Post
    Hasbro has been repaint happy since the late 80's, but especially as of the early 2000's these repaints have been pretty useless. Sometimes changing only one color and releasing in the same year. So why does it seem like with the modern era line they avoid some obvious ones. I would actually want to buy modern era repaints that recreate classic figures instead of movie inspired figures painted 10 different ways. I am not saying make only redouxs and no movie figures, I know everyone has different tastes. How about things like repainting water moccasin for the tiger shark preferably with a TF Torpedo. Using the vamp for a mark 2 with tan clutch and the tiger force version. There are so many figure repaints for sub teams as well as molds they could create and get multiple legitimate uses out of like Dodger, there are 2 figures right there BF2000 and Sonic Fighters. This could be done with any figure where the sub team version was just a repaint of the original, like Artic commandoes. The Sky patrol could reused molds with only new heads. Instead they leave it to the club where they make less then selling it themselves and collectors get screwed with higher prices and limited availability.

They are gonna save the sub-teams for club exclusives and show exclusives. I would be surprised to see any of the sub-team characters show up outside of conventions and club exclusives from now on.

I've never been much of a fan of sub teams like Tiger Force and Night Force and would not buy those figures for the most part. But there are obvious straight repaints they can do that I'd buy in a heartbeat. Like the 30th Trooper in grey for a Stinger Driver and one with Officer color accents. Or Ren Storm Shadow in baby blue for generic Cobra ninjas. Why have Storm Shadow figures been repainted in every color except a light colored blue?

I'd be down for a teal SS or even a dark green to match the Sideshow version.
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny View Post
    Don't You Go Injecting Reality Into My Fantasy

Quote Originally Posted by Falcone View Post
    I've never been much of a fan of sub teams like Tiger Force and Night Force and would not buy those figures for the most part. But there are obvious straight repaints they can do that I'd buy in a heartbeat. Like the 30th Trooper in grey for a Stinger Driver and one with Officer color accents. Or Ren Storm Shadow in baby blue for generic Cobra ninjas. Why have Storm Shadow figures been repainted in every color except a light colored blue?
    I would love for them to do that. The POC/30th Cobra Trooper has been begging for a Stinger repaint. With all the different movie Ninjas, that weren't even in the movie, I'm surprised they didn't make a classic ARAH updated Ninja-Viper. Ninja-Ku could use a Ren SS update as well and I would like to see the Red Ninja's done up with the full Ren Storm Shadow figure. They just look odd to me with those knee pads. They could make a troop/army builder, whatever 5 or even 7 pack of nothing but different repaints of Ren Storm Shadow and wave 3.5 Storm Shadow. They could do everything from any of the masters to updateing the comic pack ninja training Snake Eyes to Ninja Ku, Red Ninjas/Satin, Ninja Viper, Firefly and Jinx or generic female Ninja. lol it's the one time Storm Shadow repaints would be a good thing!

The Dollar General Duke is another that they could repaint some more or just toss in about a dozen different heads and a few different web gears and we can make most of the O13. Nearly all the 25th vehicles could be repainted almost all of them was reused at somepoint with another subgroup. Look at the ferret, how many times has it been reissued since ROC and still we haven't gotten a classic blue one yet or Tiger Force. A real Vamp Mark II, POC Hiss any repaint of it will sell like crazy, more so if they mix in some of the movie Hiss parts. The Ghosthawk mark II could be saved from shelf warming if it actually looked like it does in the movie. The Ninja Combat Crusier needs a tan repaint in a bad way, would actually make it look like those MRAPs from the movie. Oh and the silver mirage, they went to the trouble of retooling it for the 25th and never released it. Club got to use it for z-force or something like that. Shocked that Hasbro doesn't want to make their money back from the retooling. Snake Armor repaints, any color and it will sell. Some army builder packs of CLAWS, classic all white, cobra blue, black, python patrol.

There is so many figures and vehicles they have right now that could be just a simple repaint, hopefully they will realize this and release some outside of the club and SDCC.

Three points to make. Keep making your custom figures; Hasbro will eventually need collector input. When Hasbro made the Crimson night watch, I bought lots. Somebody on ebay made very good fake cobra soldiers in various colors. And am I wrong when I say all of us want black mobats and black vamps/mms.