yojoe.com

1990 Night Creeper any know

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3489.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	534.3 KB 
ID:	25401

Anyone know if this is a variation?

I finally got some night creepers in to see if I could upgrade the one I had in my collection and I noticed that the one I had in my collection was the lighter colored facemask that matches the top of his shirt while the others I got in have a darker colored facemask that matches his gloves.

The lighter colored one I got back when I was a kid and I opened it myself. I think I got it from toysrus but might have been a jamesway.

Any information would be nice.
    Baroness Can tie me up anyday.

Hisstank name is:

Captain Chunk

was IRLBaronessonmy

OG13 name is:

Captain Chunk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I think you are right. I was trying to track this one a bit, but have only looked at a couple dozen Night Creepers. If this is the difference I am thinking of, the boots (whatever the footwear is...) is also the same as the facemask.

It may be worth noting that this is not the European figure. The european difference is easy to spot because the silver on the top of the chest armor stops where the black straps start.

This was posted on HissTank as well and got this reply from NetViper X:

The one with the mask that matches the torso of his shirt is the one re-released for 91. The originals from 90 had a darker mask that didn't match the shirt like it should.

This is a color change issue similar to the Crimson Guard that was pink in 85 but then revised to a proper crimson color for 86.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I was just about to post the reply here but I see SanitationViper already took care of it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by notpicard View Post
    I think you are right. I was trying to track this one a bit, but have only looked at a couple dozen Night Creepers. If this is the difference I am thinking of, the boots (whatever the footwear is...) is also the same as the facemask.

It may be worth noting that this is not the European figure. The european difference is easy to spot because the silver on the top of the chest armor stops where the black straps start.
    Its not the boots that are different on the 91 version, its the burgandy stripes on his camo pants. Those are the only two paint apps on the figure that use that burgandy color. The boots are purple like his sleeves and hood, and are the only area on his body where that color is applied with paint rather than the plastic itself. This being the case, you can see minor differences in the shade of his boots too depending on the paint mixture and how thick of a coat is applied, but its far less noticable than the difference in the mask.
    Net-Viper X
    Cobra Command Computer Interface Expert

Net-Viper X's G.I.Joe Customization Archive

Do you have a resource of carded figures to check the order of these? The general consensus has been that the light red CG came later and the crimson hollow backpack CG was first.

I don't mean to say that the NC mask is the same color as the boots, just that the two correspond. I am pretty used to spotting a difference caused by thick or thin paint. This doesn't look like that.

I don't have any carded examples for comparison, I'm going based off experience army building these as a kid and seeing them in stores. All the CG's I saw or purchased in 85 were pink until they started appearing along side Vipers in 86. The difference was immediately noticeable and I was forced to army build them all over again because they looked so much better. They didn't show up around here until late in the summer though, so if there was an early crimson version I never saw it unfortunately.

I misunderstood you about the night creeper boots being burgandy, sorry about that. The difference in boots does correspond to the mask, the early type has bolder color to the boots. I always assumed that was because the paint coat was thicker on them but upon further inspection it does appear to be an altered mixture.
    Net-Viper X
    Cobra Command Computer Interface Expert

Net-Viper X's G.I.Joe Customization Archive

is one from china and one from hong kong, cause slight changes occur there too