Item I sold on ebay broke during shipping...options?

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Item I sold on ebay broke during shipping...options?

OK heres the deal, I sold this last week....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESO:IT

I was packing it up tonight and one of the blue terret holders broke, the side piece with two tabs and part of the side came off, it looks like it had been glued before. I was not aware of this when I listed the auction, odds are it would have broken during shipping.

So what do I do? Honestly the TD sold really cheap, only $100, I hate to offer a discount even further when this is very repairable.

As I didn't know about the break should I tell him and say he can still have it at the listed price?

Should I give him the option? If he doesn't take it cancel the auction on grounds it was broken?

Just curious....I don't want to come accross shade on this one, I honestly didn't know it had been broken prior, no I wasn't happy with the end total but as I was packing the item I was willing to accept it.

So what should I do?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I would just tell them what happened. They may not want it. If not relist it, & just change the description.

I have had things break & the buyers usually back out & most of the time I can relist it & it turns out to sell for close to what it sold for or even more. That is even including the fact that a piece is listed as broken in the description.

I also had a TD sell for like $105. I think the shipping is so high to ship one that it starts hitting more than dealers sell them for locally after $100 in bids & $30 to ship them. They can be scored for $150 quite often & Indianapolis is very low on toy dealers.

Personally, I would I tell ‘em what happened and maybe offer no more then $5 - $10 off if they still want it (that’s just me... I really try to make people happy -- sometimes to a fault)

From what you’re saying it sounds like there was a defect you didn’t catch so that’s worth a fiver to keep someone happy, IMO...

If that wasn’t cool with the buyer then I’d apologize again, reassure them it was unavoidable, try to keep everything cool (as long as they don’t go all jerk on you)... and relist...you might get more $$

That is how I would handle it.

"O wad some Power the giftie gie us
    To see oursels as ithers see us! "

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Something like this happened to me once before. after the auction, the seller told me he didn't notice a piece was damaged. He took a few bucks off the price.

So I bought it anyway.

You should do what your conscience tells you.
    But if you don't tell him the buyer might leave you bad feedback & complain.
    Then again, I see lots of seller with tons of bad feedback

Honesty on ebay . That's a rare thing.

My biggest worry is I'm already taking a washing on this thing, I know it sounds bad but I hate to lower the price anymore.

Oddly enough the 1 piece it was missing from being complete I just found in teh box it originally came in....d'oh!

Just tell them what happened and see if they still want it. I'd still take it if I won, turret bases are pretty easy to get a hold of. It's not like you broke a kickstand for the gun doors or anything.

Well the Seller replied and he still wants the item, even asked me to re-glue the part if I could. Sweet! Makes it all that much easier.

Your very lucky. And about you not willing to take a bit of your price... Maybe it sold for less than you wanted but if something gets broken off after the auction is finished, it's your responsability. If I was the buyer I would ask for a little bit knocked off the price. He wasn't bidding for an item with something broken, whatever the finishing price is...

Quote Originally Posted by Druss
    Well the Seller replied and he still wants the item, even asked me to re-glue the part if I could. Sweet! Makes it all that much easier.
    Glad it worked out so smooth!

Don’t seem to happen too often but it’s always nice when someone is cool like that

"O wad some Power the giftie gie us
    To see oursels as ithers see us! "

Well if I'm not mistaken a seller can void the auction if the item breaks before it is sent out. I had a auction I won, a Night Viper, cancelled on me about a week after the auction ended because the seller claimed it was broken and did not meet the expectations.

Does that make it right? Not necessarily but I agreed to sell this guy a non-broken Terrordrome (well only broken in the described way) and as it was no longer valid I would think the choice to cancel the sale would be mine unless he still wanted it at the intended price.