How many seasons of GI Joe were there ever made?

yojoe.com

How many seasons of GI Joe were there ever made?

I'm tempted to buy the season 1 Part I and II and Season 2 Part I of GI Joe on DVD. Is this going to be a full volume set eventually? How many seasons do I have to look forward to in order to have a complete set? Or how many seasons or shows of GI Joe was ever made? I remember watching it as a kid, I don't remember seeing too many of the later series GI Joe figures ever on film.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

their were two seasons to the first series.
    those are being broken up into four DVD sets.

More specifically, Sunbow produced two five-part miniseries in 1983 and 1984, followed by two full seasons of shows in 1985 and 1986, each showcasing the figures released in those years. The Movie came out in 1987 (with a few of that year's characters), and that was it for Sunbow. These are the shows being released on DVD by Rhino. Altogether, they break down into 100 episodes of about 22 minutes each. My DVD money's slotted for Looney Tunes at the moment, but it'd be nice to track these down eventually.

DIC produced their own five-part miniseries in 1989 and two shorter seasons of cartoons in 1990 and 1991. Figures from 1988 to 1992 showed up there. The 43 (or thereabouts) episodes of the DIC series are less popular–deservedly so–and are unlikely to be released on DVD soon unless someone sees a real market for it.