IDW GIJOE volume 3 number 9 and 10

yojoe.com

IDW GIJOE volume 3 number 9 and 10

*****possible spoilers in thread*****

Since my comic shop did not have issue 9 two weeks ago I combined threads.

Monk's assault on New York City begins.
    Duke is featured in these two issues pretty heavily as Aisha, his wife, plays a key role.
    Destro and the Baroness share some intimate moments.
    That is until Krake crashes their party for two.
    The Baroness shows how deceitful she can be, and how loyal.
    Tunnel Rat takes care of a threat in the subway system. A man who is led to do Cobra's bidding based on the emotions spurred on by the nuking of Nanzhao.
    and oh yeah.
    It is Hammer time.
    Nice to see this vehicle in a comic.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hey skinny, is this run very good. I had heard it was not anywhere near as interesting as previous runs or the COBRA run. Whats your take on it. I'm getting caught up on cobra files and special missions but I'll probably wait awhile on this run if its subpar.
    Jason
    "You can do it, Grunt. You've got to do it, man." - Zap (Marvel #4)

My wants

***/ (5#)####

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    Hey skinny, is this run very good. I had heard it was not anywhere near as interesting as previous runs or the COBRA run. Whats your take on it. I'm getting caught up on cobra files and special missions but I'll probably wait awhile on this run if its subpar.
    Whether or not any run in particular is any good is very subjective.
    I liked Van Lente better than Dixon. He brought fresh air to the GIJOE title.
    The addition of Hashtag was something I loved, I like new characters even if they are based on people the writer knows or is associated with.
    I actually hate to see Van Lente go. He managed to incorporate GIJOE Extreme into the new IDWverse with a nice twist. He was even talented enough to merge GIJOE Extreme with some of the original pre ARAH joes.

Van Lente's GIJOE was doomed from the start.
    People do not like change and between the the storyline following the Joes dealing with noncombat issues, the addition of Hashtag, and most of all the similarities to the DDP costumes and art, it had a very big hill to climb.
    They all have their flaws of course but if you read Van Lente's arc with an open mind, it is a title I would recommend.
    There are some controversial parts to the run such as Covergirl and Duke.
    Van Lente plays matchmaker with a couple other Joes too.
    Van Lente was very openminded in his translation of what is going on in the IDW universe.
    Snake Eyes is taking a breather, Scarlett and Mainframe have taken over the dirty work of the team in Special Missions, and that leaves Van Lente with the public version of the Joes who have more than just Cobra vipers to deal with.
    No matter who takes over the Joe title, they all want to do two things,
    1. Put their own mark on it to make it theirs, in this case Hashtag who by the way is a good character tropes be damned.
    2. Create new stories that have not been told before.
    That second one is a doozy, IMHO the main characters have been used up. I have 3 or 4 long boxes of comics and in that time, there is not much left to tell about Duke, Snake Eyes, and Cobra Commander.

If you are not adverse to spoilers I would suggest checking out the IDW forums they are pretty good at discussing the issues in detail.