Uh, oh......Secto Viper Repro Gear! - Page 10

yojoe.com

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    ohio- right next to the air force museum- which totally rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DJoes View Post
    It would be AWESOME for repro makers to consider the opinions of the community when developing new products. One could argue that it would be good for their business to be inclusive of this 55% of the market rather than alienate them by being unbending on the issue.
    see you say things like that and I roll my eyes. . you are not a customer of mine, and have never been, and stated that you never would be. contrarily- 100% of my customers want replicas as close to the original as they can be.... just let that sink in. and I've told you, I don't care about your collection (or unfortunately any one else's- nothing personal) only mine. you can get mad about it, but it makes you look very juvenile complaining about the market value of 30 year old loose children's toys.
    nothing has a definitive value, even gold. a few years ago gold was 900 an ounce, and through a series of clever marketing ploys involving scare tactics and the phase "plus gold has never been worth nothing" gold speculators drove the price to almost 2000 an ounce, now less than a year later it's only just over 1200 an ounce.
    think about that, gold can only be formed in the core of a super nova star, right before it explodes, it is not produced naturally on earth, and cannot be synthesized. yet someone who invested in gold this time last year saw their value drop 40%.

yet somehow you expect a loose complete sample of a 30 year old plastic toy (subject to degradation, and declining consumer interest- proof is in the fact that modern joes leapfrogged vintage joes right here in the forums- and massive influxes of alternative parts) to hold or increase in value? hundreds of thousands of these figures were made, there's only so much gold in the whole earth, how do you expect gi joe to fend off gold's fate?
    Last edited by hotdog; 12-18-2013 at 06:01 PM.
    Leonard Hofstadter: Once you open the box, it loses its value.

Penny: Yeah, yeah. My mom gave me the same lecture about my virginity. Gotta tell you, it was a lot more fun taking it out and playing with it.

Wants, My Collection, Customs, Project Skinny, my dog eating corn on the cob, my dog weasel, blowing up toys

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

"Sure it is. Put a tiny knick in the handle of a gun. Done."

Thus defacing the original, adding cost and a weak spot to the handle. It would have to be sanded out to make it look decent adding time to the production process, you just cant take an xacto knife to it. It wouldn't work for the helmets, heads, mics, antenas, or torso repos. On top of that, if people don't notice the small differences now, why would they notice a tiny knick? How do you differentiate a Knick from a repo, and a wear spot from putting it in and taking it out of a figures hand for 25 years? Its not a good solution
    Last edited by j_inmon; 12-18-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j_inmon View Post
    "Sure it is. Put a tiny knick in the handle of a gun. Done."

Thus defacing the original, adding cost and a weak spot to the handle. It would have to be sander out to make it look decent adding time to the production process, you just cant take an xacto knife to it. It wouldn't work for the helmets, heads, mics, antenas, or torso repos. On top of that, if people don't notice the small differences now, why would they notice a tiny knick? How do you differentiate a Knick from a repo, and a wear spot from putting it in and taking it out of a figures hand for 25 years? Its not a good solution
    I agree, anyone who's handled reproduction stuff, even the good stuff like the black majors figures, can easily tell real/fake. the gray area is ebay, and lets not forget you can always ask for more or better photos before you buy an item. putting a giant scar on the item won't help any. replicas already have sprue points (or worse) that make them easy to spot with a little scrutiny, but perfect for looking at - at a distance of 2-3 feet.

Penny: Yeah, yeah. My mom gave me the same lecture about my virginity. Gotta tell you, it was a lot more fun taking it out and playing with it.

Wants, My Collection, Customs, Project Skinny, my dog eating corn on the cob, my dog weasel, blowing up toys

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure that you telling me you're rolling your eyes at me is much more juvenile than me asking repro makers to sign their work.

Yep. It sure is.

Another thing, I said I'd consider buying distinguishable repro parts if I ever get into army building, so like I said, I could be a potential customer down the road... but certianly not if you're into insulting people on message boards.

Quote Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
    see you say things like that and I roll my eyes. . you are not a customer of mine, and have never been, and stated that you never would be. contrarily- 100% of my customers want replicas as close to the original as they can be.... just let that sink in. and I've told you, I don't care about your collection (or unfortunately any one else's- nothing personal) only mine. you can get mad about it, but it makes you look very juvenile complaining about the market value of 30 year old loose children's toys.
    nothing has a definitive value, even gold. a few years ago gold was 900 an ounce, and through a series of clever marketing ploys involving scare tactics and the phase "plus gold has never been worth nothing" gold speculators drove the price to almost 2000 an ounce, now less than a year later it's only just over 1200 an ounce.
    think about that, gold can only be formed in the core of a super nova star, right before it explodes, it is not produced naturally on earth, and cannot be synthesized. yet someone who invested in gold this time last year saw their value drop 40%.

yet somehow you expect a loose complete sample of a 30 year old plastic toy (subject to degradation, and declining consumer interest- proof is in the fact that modern joes leapfrogged vintage joes right here in the forums- and massive influxes of alternative parts) to hold or increase in value? hundreds of thousands of these figures were made, there's only so much gold in the whole earth, how do you expect gi joe to fend off gold's fate?

Fellas, I am glad people enjoy your repros. I prefer to buy 100% original, but I definitely appreciate having the option to buy replacements if I choose and I am definitely not anti-repro. The only issue that I have is people trying to pass them off as original. In person it's not a big deal, but online sometimes even with a lot of pics, it can be iffy. The hassle of returns is the problem. That's all.
    A most excellent idea sire!

my Wants:
    http://forums.yojoe.com/wanted/13558...tml#post812661

Quote Originally Posted by 3DJoes View Post
    I'm pretty sure that you telling me you're rolling your eyes at me is much more juvenile than me asking repro makers to sign their work.

Yep. It sure is.

Another thing, I said I'd consider buying distinguishable repro parts if I ever get into army building, so like I said, I could be a potential customer down the road... but certianly not if you're into insulting people on message boards.
    it's not so much insulting as just recognizing that your arguments have no merit and cause me to just roll my eyes. like saying people aren't ignorant if they aren't informed? I mean I say stupid things all the time, but even I can roll my eyes and move on from some of the things you say (like twisting figures to say what you want, even though those same numbers can mean 80% of people on this board want replica parts).
    I mean I didn't want to insult you because I thought at some point in the future I may want one of your card back posters, which is just a picture of someone else's intellectual property that you sell for profit. but hey, who's counting? I'm sure you give a percentage of those sales to Hasbro and ron rudat?

Gentlemen! It's getting heated! I started this thread three weeks ago and am chuffed at all the dialogue; it's great. Let's just keep it rolling amicably. So, I'll pose the following question: When it comes to repros, how much would an original part, like a mic, increase the value of a figure in, say, 20 years? Triple?
    "Why ask why?" - Al Bundy

Quote Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
    it's not so much insulting as just recognizing that your arguments have no merit and cause me to just roll my eyes. like saying people aren't ignorant if they aren't informed? I mean I say stupid things all the time, but even I can roll my eyes and move on from some of the things you say (like twisting figures to say what you want, even though those same numbers can mean 80% of people on this board want replica parts).
    I mean I didn't want to insult you because I thought at some point in the future I may want one of your card back posters, which is just a picture of someone else's intellectual property that you sell for profit. but hey, who's counting? I'm sure you give a percentage of those sales to Hasbro and ron rudat?
    Come see me at Joe Con. I've got a poster for you. You'll notice I sign it with my web site's logo and it's more than distinguishable from the originals.
    Last edited by 3DJoes; 12-19-2013 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Edited to remove escalation of insults

Quote Originally Posted by scrapiron View Post
    Gentlemen! It's getting heated! I started this thread three weeks ago and am chuffed at all the dialogue; it's great. Let's just keep it rolling amicably. So, I'll pose the following question: When it comes to repros, how much would an original part, like a mic, increase the value of a figure in, say, 20 years? Triple?
    Sorry to muck up your thread. When people "roll their eyes" at me and call me juvenile, it makes me angry. I'll quit talking to that Hotdog gentleman and hopefully we can discuss it face to face at Joe Con. I hope he's not like 300 pounds :-)

(eye of the tiger starts in the background) I want a clean fight, no low blows, follow my directions at all times, go to your corners, and lets get ready to rummmmmmbleeee Didn't know Joe con had a fight night! I'd pay to see Baroness vs. Scarlet for sure! Sorry Just trying to lighten the mood a little.
    Last edited by j_inmon; 12-18-2013 at 09:51 PM.