Uh, oh......Secto Viper Repro Gear! - Page 3

yojoe.com

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    ohio- right next to the air force museum- which totally rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFox91 View Post
    I get it, people don't like repros because it hurts the value of their original item. But honestly, this hobby has proven to be a terrible way to invest money.
    I have thousands of joes, hundreds of vehicles, I would literally laugh in anyone's face who argues with this quote.
    Leonard Hofstadter: Once you open the box, it loses its value.

Penny: Yeah, yeah. My mom gave me the same lecture about my virginity. Gotta tell you, it was a lot more fun taking it out and playing with it.

Wants, My Collection, Customs, Project Skinny, my dog eating corn on the cob, my dog weasel, blowing up toys

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm glad I started this thread, as it seems to have really polarized people...As a serious collector who has no intention of selling my stuff - ever -, I worry more about having the REAL thing; however, the value of figures IS important, for if someone chooses to resell an item, he/she might not be able to get what he/she put into it, or get the proper value out of it. It's a moral thing, really. If someone wants to make legit, obvious repro mics, like the black ones for Heavy Metal, then that does all collectors a service: it keeps the authentic mics from being devalued, and it gives a realistic, and affordable replacement piece for those unable and/or unwilling to spend $150+ on a the real deal (like me). Those who make repro stuff to be almost indistinguishable from the originals might claim they are doing a service, but the real motivation is cash. Is it illegal? No. This is what happens when a large community of collectors on a global scale don't all see eye to eye. All we can do is remain vigilant and try to keep each other informed about the availability of repros and what to look for, so if you are buying a Secto Viper you can ask questions or for photos to see if you can tell if the piece is a repro. As far as investing in collections go, as stated in an above response, I think everyone wants to think their collection will be worth at least what they put into it. That said, how do people feel about repro decals? Do they influence market value? Personally, I have bought them for the C.A.T. and the W.O.L.F. and was satisfied because getting originals can be difficult and expensive. But if I ever sold a piece, I would disclose that there were repro decals. They are also easier to spot, as the process to reproduce them leaves them brighter than the originals most times. Am I a hypocrite? The debate continues...
    "Why ask why?" - Al Bundy

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Night Viper View Post
    Figures are easy to spot. Accessories are not, and that's what they count on....
    I haven't seen these new Black Major accessories, but the BATS accessories he sells are very easy to tell apart (they are painted and the color is more silver than the original). I'm sure these new accessories have some differences from the originals, but if they don't, then they're exact copies so it doesn't matter. It's still a pain because you can't tell from an ebay picture, though.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
    I have thousands of joes, hundreds of vehicles, I would literally laugh in anyone's face who argues with this quote.

And if anyone says that all those repro parts don't affect the value of a figure, then I will laugh in that persons face.

The way I see it,
    if you don't care that you don't have original acc for your figures, then you also shouldn't care that it has a color difference.
    Making all those repro parts so realistic as possible is just messing with toy collecting. And then saying that it's not the fault of the person who makes them that people get ripped off... When you produce them, you know it's gonna happen. And all of that for a couple of bucks.
    But hey,that's just my opinion.

A couple of thoughts.

I personally do not mind re-pros. I think it takes a lot of initiative and skill to make them. If I had the time and talent, I would feel a sense of pride to be able to reproduce a piece from the 80's let alone have it come out almost perfect.

As far as selling it to fund future projects, your hobby, or for additional income? If there are buyers, it would be stupid not to sell. These folks see a demand for certain pieces and an opportunity to provide and hopefully profit. This is as American as Apple Pie. When did this change? Sour grapes for those of us who don't take the time, initiative, don't have the business sense, skill or capitol.

It has always been buyer beware when it comes to purchasing rare or expensive items or anything for that matter. This applies, but is not limited to: GI Joe, Star Wars, cars, antiques, motorcycles, fine art, electronics, pogo sticks, going to the movies...etc. If you want to avoid being ripped off, buy reputable and do your homework, as always. This is like the number one rule as a buyer. When did this change?

As far as devaluing our collections? Does your retirement nest egg consist of your GI Joe collection? Were you going to grow your collection to Rockefeller proportions, then bequeath it to your favorite nephew? Is it that serious? If you have turned your hobby into an investment that's your right, choice and prerogative. But remember, we chose to trade our hard earned cash for children's toys. We have essentially invested in little pieces of plastic. Risky? You bet. This all leads to the basic fact of no investment ever being guaranteed, and all the risks inherent in investing. When did this change?

*This mornings rant has been brought to you by a stripped thread on my aluminum intake manifold. My apologies.
    Last edited by Bigbot; 12-01-2013 at 09:21 AM.

I agree with you 100 %, Apologies not needed for your own opinion on here . At least I dot think so ? LOL

keep in mind, arah figures were produced between 500,000 to 1,500,000 depending on the fiugre, so honestly, do you really think 100-200 repro parts will actually effect the value? As a customizer, I like being able to spend $30 for repro killer whale veins, rather than use the more costly originals. Repros have their place, but as a buyer, you just need to be sure you're well informed
    Looking for Brazil Estrela Falcon Piloto(tan glider pilot grunt) and Estopim(tan Grunt) complete, as well as an Argentine front(Grunt) a Venezuelan Grunt(not sure of name). Thanks

This is my first thread contributing to such a debate. You are right in that it's a lot like a political debate, people disagree and have strong opinions on the issue, so even a logical point/counterpoint debate is not likely to change anyone's opinion. I think the repro market simply put will offend purists that want only original stuff and are willing to save to buy them, and the more frugal less OCD collector that will gladly buy the affordable repro part to "complete" their figure or collection.

Obviously those two types of people are going to disagree on the merits of making indistinguishable repro parts.

I am a purist and indistinguishable repros piss me off.

On the other hand, I love stuff like the beggars canyon cards that are obvious repros and are marked as such.

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox91 View Post
    I was going to offer up another counterpoint but you are absolutely right. There is no point because it will never come to a good conclusion.
    This is my first thread contributing to such a debate. You are right in that it's a lot like a political debate, people disagree and have strong opinions on the issue, so even a logical point/counterpoint debate is not likely to change anyone's opinion. I think the repro market simply put will offend purists that want only original stuff and are willing to save to buy them, and the more frugal less OCD collector that will gladly buy the affordable repro part to "complete" their figure or collection.

Obviously those two types of people are going to disagree on the merits of making indistinguishable repro parts.

I am a purist and indistinguishable repros piss me off.

On the other hand, I love stuff like the beggars canyon cards that are obvious repros and are marked as such.

To be honest, I don't mind if the repros look identical, but I would wish that there was a small logo in a hidden place that would indicate it being a repro without it affecting the general over all look of the piece. From a nostalgic point of view, I can understand why an identical repro would be desirable for a piece that's hard to find, or out of one's price range. I honestly would feel silly paying ton for Secto's helmet, so I'd much rather have a repro than nothing, as long as I know it's a repro.