Uh, oh......Secto Viper Repro Gear! - Page 9

yojoe.com

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
    I usually agree with things you say, but this doesn't make sense to me. By this logic a 92 skylark should still fetch $15,000.

I can see some logic in high grade Afa stuff, but that would be so risky an investment just on its own as every year more of the market dies, at some point vintage joes will be like grandpas war medals - neat but not worth much and sitting in an estate sale.
    So what are original complete ARAH figures worth to you? $1 each no matter the figure.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by spiderpumpkin View Post
    So what are original complete ARAH figures worth to you? $1 each no matter the figure.
    I'm not sure how you draw that conclusion from his statements. Seems to me that he is pointing out that though they may be interesting, their future value will likely be very low (not their current value). Apologies if I put words in his mouth.
    I too believe our collections will be worth little to nothing in the future. In 30 years, when a chunk of our cohort has passed on, when another chunk is downsizing and moving in to homes etc., who's gonna want these things? Look how many of us sell off our collection when we have kids, just to make room. Priorities change. The future generation is not going to be nearly as interested as we are. Demand plummits, supply is still there...what's the value?
    Right now the supply of Crystal ball is greater than the demand, so the figure is pretty much worthless. What's the demand for a Secto-Viper going to be like in 30 years? That doesn't mean I think it's worth a dollar now, but it won't be worth 75 in the future, repro parts or not...
    I can only control what's in my collection and how much I pay for it. Thus, I derive happiness from that. Anyone who values their collection based on market value is at the mercy of supply and demand. These are the people who get bent out of shape about repro parts. Check your priorities, cuz it's not about the integrity of the Sneek Peek mic supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcone View Post
    \
    It's not about the investment. Investment implys expecting a return profit and buying specifically for that. When I spend $100 on something I want, I want to be able to get around that if I ever get rid of it. Not watch it's value become nothing.
    But that is an investment by your own definition. You expect to get use out of them (be it plesure of owning, use in a diorama, a nice display and so on) and still get the exact same value when you are done. Profit isn't just in terms of dollars, it can also be in terms of use.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 3DJoes View Post
    Based on our poll, ~20% are completely anti-repro, 55% are pro-distinguishable repros, and 25% are pro-indistinguishable repros.

The vast majority (75%) don't want indistinguishable repros.

The majority (55%) don't mind repros if there is some easily distinguishable characteristic.

It would be AWESOME for repro makers to consider the opinions of the community when developing new products. One could argue that it would be good for their business to be inclusive of this 55% of the market rather than alienate them by being unbending on the issue.
    The problem with this logic is that many people voted pro distinguishable repos who have no intention of ever buying a repo. Lt Night Viper is a good example (not trying to pick on you man, your just a good example of what i'm saying) He has said that he hates them, but for those people who want to get them he would like them distinguishable. Many people have voted pro distinguishable repos for easier identification when purchasing an original, not that they would buy more repos if they where distinguishable. From a business perspective the opinion they should be considering is that of their customers, not of collectors of the original.
    Last edited by j_inmon; 12-18-2013 at 06:06 AM.

Good point.

I have to have at least one complete, original figure of each... but I could get behind distinguishable repros for army building purposes.

Honestly, I feel pretty confident that if you were to get rid of option 'A' in the poll, that a majority would vote option 'C', which would be against repros...
    Crashing through the sky, comes the fearful cry, COBRAAAA, COBRAAAA. Armies of the night, evil taking flight, COBRAAAA, COBRAAAA. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, panic spreading far and wide!!!!

Want List: http://forums.yojoe.com/wanted/67073-joes-needed.html

Sale/Trade List: http://forums.yojoe.com/sale/74457-m...ale-trade.html

Quote Originally Posted by j_inmon View Post
    The problem with this logic is that many people voted pro distinguishable repos who have no intention of ever buying a repo. Nightviper is a good example (not trying to pick on you man, your just a good example of what i'm saying) He has said that he hates them, but for those people who want to get them he would like them distinguishable.
    That was my attempt at meeting in the middle. If the sole decision was up to me, I'd say no repros. But since it's not, that's why I said what I did.
    Crashing through the sky, comes the fearful cry, COBRAAAA, COBRAAAA. Armies of the night, evil taking flight, COBRAAAA, COBRAAAA. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, panic spreading far and wide!!!!

Want List: http://forums.yojoe.com/wanted/67073-joes-needed.html

Sale/Trade List: http://forums.yojoe.com/sale/74457-m...ale-trade.html

Quote Originally Posted by Falcone View Post
    For starters, Black Majors profit margin is huge. Secondly, adding some type of mark costs nothing. Black Major sends the factory a vintage figure and the take it apart and build molds from it. All the have to do is part some type of mark on that vintage parts before making the mold. It takes no effort.
    You can't have it both ways. It needs to have a mark so as to not decrease the value of an expensive original, and marking or defacing an expensive original would cost nothing. There are other costs as well to both money and time. What about the cost of the metal dye to make the mark? Time spent figuring out how deep it should be (not to deep or it will weaken or even go though the original, and not to shallow that it can be easily taken off), time spent figuring out the best place to put it, and they would have to do this for each different kind of part produced. It is not as easy or simple as you suggest.

Sure it is. Put a tiny knick in the handle of a gun. Done.
    A most excellent idea sire!

my Wants:
    http://forums.yojoe.com/wanted/13558...tml#post812661

Sure it is. Put a tiny knick in the handle of a gun. Done.
    A most excellent idea sire!

my Wants:
    http://forums.yojoe.com/wanted/13558...tml#post812661