Anyone else getting bored?????

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Anyone else getting bored?????

The last few weeks, Ive honestly been getting bored with Gi Joe. I still managed to spend about a grand on stuff, but its just not doing it for me like it used to. To be quite honest, Ive been considering getting out, or taking a break. Just wondering if any of the other older collectors feel this way lately. Maybe because Ive had a few sour deals lately, some with friends, some with complete strangers, but either way its just not been the same these last few weeks.

And before I get any emails asking if Im selling, the answer is no. Even if I do quit for awhile, or take a break Id still keep my stuff

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Drew! It's funny...I've been kinda thinking similiarly recently.

I sometimes think I'm acquiring way TOO MUCH stuff, and I'm not too sure why. And to be honest, it can be overwhelming.

I think a break might be just what you need. Or, just a rethinking of the goals of your collection. I've been thinking that I am going to readjust my collection a bit. Perhaps your scope is too broad?

I've found that keeping smaller pursuits, is pretty enjoyable and still challenging. I'm going to be selling off a bunch of items, and really narrow my collection. Well, at least thats the idea.

I think with collectiong, it's pretty natural to go through stages of interest. Don't worry, you are definitely not alone.

-Peter
    ProjectPDD.com : The Definitive " Pimp Daddy Destro " Action Figure Resource

JoeIntel.com : The site for EVERYTHING G.I.Joe. From posters, lunchboxes & store displays to 3 3/4" 25th action figures, prototypes & international items. Get knowledgeable on the full range of 'Joe collectibles since the 80's & join up to the forums!

Always looking for unique packaged DESTRO items & all G.I.Joe preproduction items (artwork, prototypes, etc.). Contact me! I pay well!

Arrow

I think about it a lot and just concentrating on SW - I want more vintage stuff.
    My eBay store with an over 12,000 feedback rating
    WANTED carded 1982-88 Joes for my collection

You can’t stop the signal

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I feel you, man. I think about it every time I trip over a pile of vehicles in the middle of the night trying to hit the bathroom, or when good friends sell stuff out that I told them I wanted, when guys wanna play the trading game instead of just telling you how much they want for a piece, or when I get caught up in BS "nod wink" collector politics, when I see some douche try to play friends of mine for cash, or (lastly, for this sentence) when I run into some collector with an attitude that thinks he's god's gift to joe. HOW you gonna have an EGO about playing with KID'S TOYS AND YOU'RE 30!!!!!! It mostly applies to the higher end stuff and selling. I have thought about getting rid of all my international stuff, prototypes (most of them, not all) and anything that is not a loose complete figure or vehicle, and just concentrate on Army Building. That was my first Joe love, since i started hoarding 10 years ago. Sometimes, with all the Hasbro BS, collector and dealer BS, and then random life BS that gets in the way, it is a hard time to have fun with this hobby. I try to step back sometimes, and just dump out a bunch of weapons and figures on the floor, then sit in my under-roos sorting through them to remind myself why I do it all.
    Selling Joes all day onnna' 'bay...
    Armageddon Toys

I guess that I may not be as much of an established collector as the rest of you, but I have been around for a while. I have seriously considered selling a large portion of my stuff in order to get some money for a house, so I definitely have not been buying since the con and to be honest I have the vast majority of the vintage items that I am interested in.
    So sometimes I start to think that I should just forget about everything for a while and pick up when I get interested again.

Of course I ate two happy meals for dinner tonight.
    She said,
    "Don't you miss the mornings?
    Don't you miss those days?
    Don't you miss me, Baby?
    'Cause I'm fading away."
    -Adam Duritz

I'm like that with my other interests-baseball cards and rare records. I go in cycles with those things. funny how one day nothing can stop you from getting what you want, a year later that prized find is collecting dust.
    The only things better than Joes? Punk records! If you got something(RARE) you want to sell-let me know.

Talking Oh Boy I Hear Ya

I look in to my storage and say this everytime but can't get it up I'm scared of missin something when I come back. But I do notice something when it is very eazy for u to get things the love can be losted VERY QUICKLY.
    I had a friend that was in and out of joes only to get the hardest things and leave again. He got a AFA graded firefly ony to sell it 2 weeks later it was not for the money either.
    This hobby has made my car take a back seat cause I use to put all my money in it 5 TVS ful stereo system, paint, rims, 2 pump hydro set up my time and money use to be there now no cars this summer only toy shows (IE THE CON )
    One day hopefully it will all be worth it. Just my 2 cents

I ran into the same problem about a year ago with the Star Wars toys. I was collecting everything star wars and I was getting nothing out of it, but getting new star wars. So I decided I wanted just a complete loose collection of the vintage figures. That was very exciting for me and I had a little bit of fun liquidating a very big star wars collection of mine in the process. I had so much fun collecting loose opened figures, I changed my focus to my favorite toy as a kid and one my father started me on "GI JOES". I am having the greatest time trying to get my treasured JOES back. My father sold the whole collection off one summer, so all of the JOES i bought have been others. But I sincerely enjoy collecting these loose toys and I do get the new ones too. No one makes bad comments at my hobby and if they do I just tell them at least I can see my money; you can't even do anything with your 401K! Sometimes I do wonder if I should be doing what I do, spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars a year, spending hours upon hours looking for that one find on Ebay, traveling the miles upon miles to the stores, flea markets and yard sales to find those rare treasures. Which is a rush when I do so. But as I have also told others when they make fun of me; at least I am not addicted to drugs or an alcoholic. But I have strayed off of the topic. Toy collecting is very fun, sometimes you get burned out and need to change focus. I took a break for a few weeks and got right back into it. I love collecting loose GI JOES and I feel there will always be a roller coaster effect with my feelings on the issues. Enough with my sermon. GI JOE will remain my stress reliever and hobby for many years to come, although I might veer from it every now and again.

Personally, my collection has been growing by leaps and bounds lately. I am however, moving on and selling off lots of non GI JOE stuff. Then again, this is so that I can focus in on just GI Joe. I also got bored with the newer version of the GI Joe Body type and because of this I've decided to get out of all newer stuff and have been moving it left and right. Now the only stuff I collect is vintage, unless its something new that I find to be really interesting or of the vintage mold type.

If you feel burnt out. Stop collecting and take a break. It will do wonders on how you feel when you deicde to get back into it. I tend to go in 2 year cycles. I go hard for 1 year and then lay in hidding for 2 years and then bam, I'm back for a year, and then I lay in hidding for 2 years...

For those of you who know me from way back when, this is what happened back in 2002. I hit joes hard that year and then eased up and too a break until just this last spring (2004) and I've been back ever since... Before 2002, I hit joes hard in 1998 and in 2000, but then was in hidding from 1998 - 2000 and from 2000 - 2002. And you never know, I might go back into hidding in a year or so...

Just a few of my thoughts, for what there worth,
    Tanner
    Vehicle Parts Need List || Weapons Need List || For Sale Thread
    ==================================================
    I played, ate and slept Joe as a kid and yet as an adult I still can't get enough of it! ! !

I too have been really feeling this lately.I have always loved joes and always will but getting older you start to look at things differently in life.I seriously have everything loose that is rare. I have all the mics I am one pack away from a complete set of night force and all the other rare ones. I only need the easy to find ones now. I have spent a large amount on what I own and trust me its a lot!! I don't have the room to properly set it up like I would like to. Most of its packed up in my room because I don't have the room for it to display well.One major problem is I no longer have time to sit back and set things up and enjoy it. I work all the time and when I am not doing that oh ya I am working some more. lol I am online a lot though because I am in the process of selling off my extras and also searching for parts to complete things which we all know takes a retarded amount of time which the older you get for some reason you no longer have much of.I am working on a house which i am going to be getting from my friend in the near future and one major thing that is bugging me is this. I bought a sears cat tank for $100, I installed a hardwood floor in my kitchen for $150 and the room is around 180 square feet maybe a little bigger. I can play with the tank and set it up but a nice floor is much more useful when you get older. It ads value to your home is a much better value and will be used much more than my cat tank. You just start to look at things a little differently. If I could afford both then that would be cool but its kinda i have to do one or the other anymore. One thing that I can truely thank gijoe for other than the funnest toy ever growing up is all the great people I have met and made friendships through throughout the years.
    I just started my ebay store, take a look
    MY EBAY STORE<br>more to come soon
    Check out my ebay auctions as well MY EBAY AUCTIONS
    I was using searchforjoes for a while but found my old name.I am looking for moc figures and weapons, send me your lists!!!