Anyone else getting bored????? - Page 4

yojoe.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Well, I hear ya Drew. I have been collecting toys since 1980 (man, I am old). I have had it all Star Wars, Transformers, Premium Rings from the 1920's-50's, you name it, I collected it. But I figured out that I like looking for stuff and getting deals, buying, selling and trading.. not keeping the stuff. So I only keep Joes now.

I take a break ever now and then or I get into something new... but, man, I know what ya mean...

Michael
    This Space for Rent.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I am burned out. I use to find my self rushing home from work to see what the mail man had dropped off. Now I find my self just tossing the boxes on the bed and opening them late at night just so i can have a clean bed to sleep on. I have went from purchasing 15 plus auctions a month, to about one a month. I find my self spending less time on these boards, it seems there are to many uptight people on here, for instance i had to edit my avatar because it had a gun pointing at the dude, but yet joes point guns at cobras everyday. I guess its the small things that disappoint you, kind of like a marriage. I find myself spending way less time on ebay, this bothers me since prices seem to be a an all time low over the past few years.

I won't sale it all off, but I am definetly taking a break. I guess after the convention, I have lost interest. I find its because the wife is tired of me spending money on joes, she wants to travel more. I also see that most of my friends are using there money more wisely. We all use to set together at the Razorback games, but now they have moved to a better section(more $$), and i am about 20 rows behind them.

I have also had a great moment, my son is 4 and he was playing with a rolling thunder i left out to sale on ebay. Well he liked it and usually he wasn't allowed in the joe room. But i gave him the run on anything he wanted on the lower shelfs he could reach. I found more enjoyment in watching my joes being smashed and ran over by a 4 year old than i got from them setting on my self. I have a feeling most of the basic stuff will wind up in his room, and i will hang on to the international and rare stuff.

I hope one day t0 find the desire to collect like i use to, but i think my life is at a different stage. I am looking for expierences rather than the ability to set in front of my pc and see how much stuff i can acquire.
    Last edited by drveovru2; 09-20-2004 at 08:50 AM.

Exclamation What a downer

Man, what a depressing thread.

I am more hyped than ever about GI Joe. The thing is I'm not buying everything under the sun. I've set a good pace and defined my own interests in what I want and don't want to get. Valor VS Venom (the movie) really tied together the last year of figures into one solid action packed finale! Heck I bought a Battle Hornet with Neo Viper (my first Viper ever ) this weekend just because of how much fun it looked due to the movie (next I think I'm getting a Tigerhawk). I know many people here are for some reason vocally against the current line of figures. Frankly, I think that's pretty childish. Everyone has their own interests. No sense in putting people down for being interested in the current stuff or old stuff or whatever.

Cheer up. I think most people on this board system are adults... not kids. I'm sure most have bigger collections than I do... yet for some reason people still aren't satisfied and happy with what they have. We all for the most part have extra responsibilities in life.. other stuff that sometimes forces us (even if we don't notice it) to put hobbies on hold... and focus on what' s more important. With the birth of my 3rd son back at the beginning of July, I've had to put my main hobby of VideoGame collecting and playing aside completely. Other than one game... I've not played or bought any new games the last few months. That includes classic games (games from previous console generations). I have a huge collection of games. I have instead focused in on reading GI Joe comics.. and got my old figures out. Nothing that requires hours of time. But I can get plenty of enjoyment out of since often times a videogame will require a great many hours just to make some noticable progress.

So it was a trade off. Was I bored with VideoGames? No, not at all. Just had to change priorities. Maybe I'm done with VG's ... maybe I'll be back at it in a few months.. or a few years. I'm not selling the huge collection off. Just putting it on hold for a hobbie that doesn't require as much dedication. Something I can more easily pace myself at.
    :D Yo Joe! :D

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nightc1
    I know many people here are for some reason vocally against the current line of figures. Frankly, I think that's pretty childish. Everyone has their own interests. No sense in putting people down for being interested in the current stuff or old stuff or whatever.
    Amen to that. It gets really old after a while. I like the new stuff as much as the old, and I'm having as good a time collecting as I ever have.

I never get tired of collecting Joes (or any figure lines). I am into other vintage lines such as Star Wars, Transformers and MOTU and usually switch back and forth. I never buy any new figures, only vintage, because you just acquire too much stuff that way. I spend a fair amount of money, but I finance my habits with selling all kinds of stuff on Ebay that I find at yard sales and flea markets.

Usually for Joes and MOTU I never purchase single items, only trade. I buy large lots off of people selling their childhood collections, keep what I need and trade off the rest. When certain items in my trade pile sit around for to long, I Ebay the stuff off.

I usually find my system is easier on the wallet and keeps my interests fresh when I go back and forth collecting a few different lines. I find i still have allot of free time even though I garage sale every Sat morning in the summer and maybe go to the Flea markets about once per month. You have to pace yourself on your spending and time otherwise you will burn yourself out.
    Visit my 70s & 80s action figure guide, message boards and online store at action-figures.ca.

Always interested in trading vintage figures of all lines, remember to check my trade and want lists.

Thought crossed my mind too to sell of some army builders and UK stuff. If I'd sell all my stuff I'd own a very nice second hand car for sure. But I just can't do it, I like it too much and unless disaster strikes, I'm going to keep it all

It is easy to get burned out with any type of collecting. I've already seen some good suggestions though...ranging from taking a break to redefining your collecting goals. I myself am slowly getting back into Joes...but I'm trying really hard to take things slow so I can enjoy my purchases. Being a huge Transformers fan, it doesn't leave much space let alone $$ to buy Joes...so this time around I'm being more picky about what I buy.

Every time I've got tired w/ a collection of mine in the past I would sell most of it off...only later to regret it. My advice too would be to take a break and re-evaluate why you buy what you do and set some new goals.

I've never been into the whole army building thing, but I'm starting to find some enjoyment in collecting certain multiple Cobra figs (thanks in part to the $2 single figs @ Family Dollar!). I'm steering away from vehicles for the most part, which is hard seeing how that was my favorite thing about the toys when I was kid in the early 80's.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!