Is army building a new phenomenon? - Page 3

yojoe.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I didn't call it Army Building, but back in the day I would buy as many "Troop" figures I could find. Vipers, Troopers, Tele-Vipers, etc. It didn't make sense to have two or three times as many Joes as Cobras. I don't get the modern inclination to Troop Build 40 Black Out or other individual characters. I understand some like Beach Head wear masks over their faces but it still looks goofy IMO. But to each his or her own.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I always wanted multiples of Star Wars Stormtroopers when I was a kid, but my parents would never buy me two of the same figure ("You already have a Stormtrooper").

In 1986--when I was 11--I would buy one B.A.T. every time I bought Joes, but I only did this 3 times for a total of 3 B.A.T.s.

In 1987, I found 6 Crimson Guards at a K-Mart. Mind you, C.G.s were discontunied by that time (they were re-doing all the aisles, so they found all the cool figures that got hidden behind the Barbies) So I begged my Grandmother to buy them for me, who finally caved in but never did appreciate the fact that they were not made any more

I Did!

Back in the 80's, I bought my own Joes with paper route money and my parents didn't intervene much. I thought Cobra needed armies, so I had 10 BATS, 10 Vipers, and 10 Crimson Guards.

I was really surprised when I got back into collecting how rare army building was back in the day. I have never found a collection that had as many cobra troop builders as I had. Guess I was just ahead of my time -- I am done bragging now

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

When I was a child I didnt have multiples of any armybuilder and I really didn't think about it at the time. I didnt start building until about 2 years ago. At first I said just a few of certain figures but that didn't last long at all.

When I start back in '83 I would try to get is many cobra troopers as I could but I had limited resources in where to buy and money. I only managed to get eight cobra enemy v.1 and two cobra officers to do battle with my Joes. Sadly those figures did not make it. Now I got my son CJ into Joes and he has 95% of all the spy-troops collection with multiples of Cobra troopers which he hardly plays with. He just plays with the same four figures over and over.

2 crimson guards.

I think army building became the norm after Hasbro released the 1998 cobra infantry 3 pack because it had two of the same figure.

When i was a kid, I would pick up cobra troopers, crimson guards, etc... because I saw lots of them in the cartoon, so i thought that it made sense. I never used to go out an buy more than one of a figure, that just seemed a waste to me.