Is army building a new phenomenon?

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Is army building a new phenomenon?

Back as a kid I couldn't dream of having two of the same figure much less five or six. I got into army building after seeing how sweet pics of mass cobra rallies looked. Thanks to guys like blaxoyzeus I want to army build more. I am still a ways off from the four hundred infantry and 200 vipers I've seen pics of on this forum. I only had one of any cobra troopers then. I had one viper, techno-viper, alley viper, range viper, sea slug, motor viper and thats it. Joes were way cooler so I considered it a waste to buy more than one of a cobra. Now its the opposite for me, if fate had it that I walked into a TRU and there was a Cobra Infantry set on the pegs along with a Anti -venom team or a Night force team I'd probably knock the joes of their pegs trying to snatch up the infantry before someone beat me to it. I hypothesize that army building is a fairly new phenomenon in the Joe collecting community. Did any of you army build in the 80s? If so what did you army build and in what quantities?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Red face

When I was a kid my dad always used to buy me doubles of the vehicles. I asked him about it and he replied, "What, you think an army goes around with just one tank?"

I always inadvertently got doubles of figures on my birthday but I just considered them (the cobras) as sort of army builders. I never intentionally got more than one of the figures though...
    Whatever doesn't make me stronger only kills me

I never did it in the RAH era. I did start in 1999 at the convention becuase I figured the cartoons and comics showed multiples of figures and vehicles, thats what I want.
    Hi, I'm Tim Mizak.
    Check out my blog on toys!
    http://mizak23.blogspot.com/

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Arrow

I didn't have any multiples of any figures or even vehicles back in the 80's. Then again, I don't today either. But the thing is.. I didn't know anyone with cobra armies. And it seemed everyone played with GI Joes back then.
    :D Yo Joe! :D

I got an occasional double figure back in the eighties because my parents didn't exactly know what we had.

A couple months ago, I bougth +-70 near complete and mint figures off of a friend. (UK Mutt, TF Outback...) I paid him because I felt guilty. The lot was so awesome, he had multiples of: Annihilator (3) and Iron Grenadier (3) and a couple more. He said he liked them back then and that's why he bought multiples.

I thought of it too when I was little but if you depend on your parents... There were just too many figs to collect
    Last edited by BelgianGabber; 09-20-2004 at 11:14 AM.

As a kid in the late eighties I actually did like to have multiples of the Cobras, especially Vipers, Crimson Guards and infantry but, like many of you, I couldn't dream of having multiples of stuff. I did, however, have three Crimson Guards and about 4 Motor Vipers at one point as a kid and I thought that was pretty cool. My greatest dream as far as army building as a kid was to have as many cobra troopers as are pictured in issue #1, page 15 when Cobra Commander reminds the Baroness the the fort is at full strength or something like that and simultaneously shows her all the troops lined up. I bet some of the guys on these boards could set up the Cobra infantry as seen in issue #1. NOw that would be sweet!

I don't know if it is as much a recent phenomenon as much as it is a repercussion of adults buying toys for themselves. you see, as a child our resources were limited and our figure collections were pretty much at the mercy of adults who would purchase the toys for us. as a result, most of us would have rather had at least one of every figure as opposed to just a few figures and multiples of troops. add to that most parents wouldn't dream of spending money on multiples of figures their children already have.

fast forard, to a time now when we all have our own money and can do whatever we want with it. now, if I want five Vipers or Iron Grenadiers, I can afford it, and also buy whatever other figures I want. buying multiples of army builders doen't affect my ability to buy other characters, which as a child it most certainly would have.

that, and the fact that our imaginations were undoubtedly better as children and we didn't need multiples to have a battle. nowadays, our toys are mostly for display and it looks better displayed to have an actual army, but in reality it would be a pain to play with.

Willard Ohio, home of Seattle Seahawks QB Charlie Frye
    I don't know about it being new. When my uncle gave my friend and I his Joe collection (he only bought until 85-86), there were SIX Crimson Guards (all gorgeous shape too)

As a Kid I didn't army build...

I mean come on, as a kid I could barely afford one of figures let alone 2 or more...

Also, for some strange reason, as a kid it just made sense to have 1 of everything, 1 viper, 1 bat, 1 eel... I never questioned if there were more...

Tanner
    Vehicle Parts Need List || Weapons Need List || For Sale Thread
    ==================================================
    I played, ate and slept Joe as a kid and yet as an adult I still can't get enough of it! ! !

I tried getting into it.. Started off with Star Wars Hoth figs. Had a decent army. But just got out it.
    The path of collecting is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil scalpers. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepherds the lost through the valley of aisles. For he is truly his brothers keeper by leaving one on the peg and I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers collection, and you will know I am a true collector when lay my vengeance upon thee.