2004 Cobra Battle Hornet... a suprising Review - Page 3

yojoe.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Fire
    this went OT real fast! everyone is entitled to there opinions! and even if it was harsh, it wasnt directed at anyone in particular but towards a toy he dosent like! agent orange, how would you change the toy to make it better? diffrent colors? better driver? wings?

-

Thanks for asking.

First off, I'm one of the ones who originally thought it must be some sort of submersible.

Why? - Because it couldn't possibly be anything else. It's shape, stubby control surfaces, and skids made it look like a small submersible. Even it's colors aren't that bad when one considers that small military submersibles, such as the US Navy's Alvin, are often painted in bright colors. Better-defined engines would be all that was needed to make it a servicable underwater craft.

Even then, though, are still better subs out there. The AWESOME Sting Raider pretty much makes a submarine Battle Hornet a moot point. It is easily the best sub in the entire line.

And as an aircraft, the Battle Hornet is completely unsalvageable. No wings and no method of propulsion equals no flight. A total write-off. To make it an aircraft would require an entirely new mold, which effectively means a completely different toy.

As far as the figure goes, the bright color doesn't really bother me that much. For goodness sakes, the original Wild Weasel, a classic Cobra pilot, was freaking BRIGHT RED!! And of course, he didn't spell doom for the line.

What does bother me is the figure itself. Neo-Vipers have been established as elite infantry soldiers. They have no place piloting either a submarine or an aircraft. If it was a sub, an underwater figure should have been included (Moray or Electric Eel, for example). If it is an airplane, a pilot should have been included (which I suppose means another version of Wild Weasel, an old-sculpt figure, or a new pilot mold - which Cobra desperately needs).

To toss in a recolored Neo-Viper (regardless of the color) was simply a crap-out on Habro's part.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

pretty good points about its design....at first i thought it might have been planned as sort of a cobra update on the old skyhawk, but even that had turbine engines. this would've been cooler as a new AGP

I don't hate this vehicle but I'm not really in love with it either. It really does not look that much like a aircraft and I really cant see how it would fly with just a small fan underneath. I think perhaps this will be Cobra's answer to the Sky Hawk in my Joeverse. I doubt it will see much combat since most of my Joe craft can shoot it down with ease. Perhaps it will be used to guard Cobra hq's perimeter?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Agent orange brought up a good point about the figure.A generic cobra pilot figure is something long overdue.I just bought a night adder which is pretty cool except for the stupid pistol grip and trigger.I really need pilot figures.I don't need another wild weasel,maybe an updated strato viper would be nice.I also think the battle hornet is pretty cool for the kids and adults.A bright yellow neo viper just doesn't work for me.Also these fights seem silly to me.Everyone has a right to an opinion,even a harsh one.However people should be as respectfull as possible to each other too.Both of you are right both of you are wrong.Quit bickering.I'm here to read about joes.C'mon now

For some reason I like the yellow Neo Viper. I do have an affinity for the Neo Vipers though. As far as the stubby wings, that isn't necessarily that big of a deal. There have been aircraft with little or no wings. In fact this is one of them..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:X...ight-750px.jpg

However there does not appear to be an obvious propulsion system. I suppose there could be some sort of hidden jet engine in there. But I think it's ridiculous that they didn't design an exhaust system or other typical sign of a jet engine to the craft.

I think Hasbro was incredibly lazy on this item. Where is the thought behind the design? Back in the day all of the vehicles, even the Pogo, had some sort of designed system as to how it would really work if it actually existed. Hydraulic lines, engine intakes, etc. Also the blue prints would help explain where the engines were located, weaponry, etc. Unfortunately many, not all, of the new vehicles lack this basic design theory. I suppose some children don't care about these details but I always did. And I still do as an adult.

Not too long ago I blasted the Desert Coyote for basically the same reason Agt. Orange blasted the Hornet. The Desert Coyote was one of the cheapest made, lazily designed Joe toy I've seen since the Desert Apache, which was a total travesty in my opinion. If Hasbro wants to properly continue the Joe legacy, it should concentrate more on quality than quantity. If you think back to the Desert Coyote, it had no engine, it had no way of steering the craft and a totally exposed cockpit. The D.C. is supposed to be an off road vehicle, yet the undercarriage is barely off the ground. It would have been a good Go Cart for the Joes, if it had an engine of course.

I think Hasbro can do a lot better than this. I remember the original AWE Striker, Fang, Dragonfly, Sky Striker, Rattler, Mauler, ferret, Whale, moray, etc.. It can be done, if they want to.

I like the Battle Hornet a lot myself! Way better than the tank in the same assortment, that looks like a charging cradle for an electric toothbrush. The colors are OK-ish. I like black and yellow, reminds me of deWalt tools. The orange is a little off though.
    Selling Joes all day onnna' 'bay...
    Armageddon Toys

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by krymsyngard666
    I like the Battle Hornet a lot myself! Way better than the tank in the same assortment, that looks like a charging cradle for an electric toothbrush. The colors are OK-ish. I like black and yellow, reminds me of deWalt tools. The orange is a little off though.
    Good one. That other vehicle does indeed look like a charging cradle for an electric shaver or toothbrush or something. That's what I meant about most of the smaller vehicles being... mostly crappy. That specific vehicle shows it has treads but do the treads work? Nope, they are molded as part of the main vehicle with small wheels on the underside. Talk about a useless and not so fun vehicle. For a small vehcile the Battle Hornet offers a lot of features and IMO is a blast to play with. Expecially after seeing the movie and seeing it in action.

... now onto other issues...

As for the propultion system. That was my main complaint. I'm going to re-watch the early part in the movie when they attack one of the joe bases to see how they fly. I think, now that I look at it more, that the back end surface of the tail.. where it's kind of rectangular in shape... was meant to have a few dots of paint or something to reflect propusion. I do notice now also that the intakes on the bottom of it are not blocked when the landing gear is in place. So I guess there is a way the thing get's air in. Maybe the back end of the gray area on the bottom is where the propusion system should be shown? Many options.

Again, I'll watch the movie and see how the thing actually flies. It's a moot point in the end for me... since it's just fun to play with the toy and my kids seem to like it as well. But I would like to know how it actually is supposed to work in the real world.

On the same note though the movie starts off with some robotic things taking dna samples of the animals. How did they fly around? I guess they used Star Wars technology for the Probe Droids! I'm not complaining about that though.

As for Agent Orange, I didn't take any offense to his POV. I mean, if he's played with the thing and thinks it sucks this bad... then he's more than entitled to that opinion. I too have been disappointed by stuff I bought that I thought would be cool but it turned out rather lame.
    :D Yo Joe! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange
    -

1. thought it must be some sort of submersible.

2. And as an aircraft, the Battle Hornet is completely unsalvageable. No wings and no method of propulsion equals no flight. A total write-off. To make it an aircraft would require an entirely new mold, which effectively means a completely different toy.

2. As far as the figure goes, the bright color doesn't really bother me that much. For goodness sakes, the original Wild Weasel, a classic Cobra pilot, was freaking BRIGHT RED!! And of course, he didn't spell doom for the line.

3. What does bother me is the figure itself.
    i edited your post in the quote to save space, but i wanted to comment on a few points.

1. i also thaught it would be better suited as a submersable. it looks so much like a sub and not a jet.

2. on the second point, here is where imagination come into play. since technically gijoe is based in a fantasy world, you coud imagine that cobra has developed some sort of new propulsion system. but this is just me! i do however understand that it does need a more defined vehicle. and thats what i plan on doin with my customs.

3. i ama HUGE fan of the neo vipers, but this neo stinks! he just screams "SHOOT ME IM YELLOW". what sane soldier would wear yellow suits in battle. they dropped the ball on that one!

in closing of my pounts, gijoe is a toy thats suposed to excite imagination! so with just tewaking the design in your mind, you may like it! try altering it in some way to make it more appealing to you! you may actually enjoy it!

I will be using it as a sub myself, although I'm not sure how well it will be in that role either, with the Mantis and the new sub (sting raider?) coming out. And it comes with an actual underwater guy!
    Stupidity should be painful.
    She's gone from suck to blow!

Cool

I don't mind the Neo-Viper's colors so much since he's a pilot and isn't really exposed to ground fighting or exposed in his vehicle (like many vehicles are) where .. yes... he'd be an easy target (much like the bring red original Wild Weasel... whom just for memory sake Hasbro sold that mold off).

Similarly I don't mind Ace (v6) being the same colorscheme as the Tigerhawk.. and including a few yellow stripes on his shoulders. That doesn't really bother me. Then again, it's not like I'm expecting to use these things in real life either. They are just for fun.

Most GI Joes & Cobras aren't exactly camoflauge experts.
    :D Yo Joe! :D