2004 Cobra Battle Hornet... a suprising Review

yojoe.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Exclamation 2004 Cobra Battle Hornet... a suprising Review

Intro:
    Consider this my personal review on the Cobra Battle Hornet. Feel free to add in your review comments if you own this vehicle and expecially if you've seen the Valor VS Venom movie as well.

The Review:

http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/04/bat.../title_med.jpg

I love the Neo Viper (v8) with Battle Hornet! I think a fleet of them will fit in nicely with the whole GI Joe universe whatever happens next. As toys go... it's one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. I love that the bombs are easy release. The gun up front fires a good distance and has appropriate sounds for firing. I like the way the landing gear goes up and has a unique sound too. Overall.. this is just a fantastic vehicle. Great for actually playing with and nice it doesn't take up much space yet still has many uses in dio's and even just sitting on a shelf.

Overall the details on the vehicle are pretty nice. I think maybe they could have found a better color scheme (maybe cobra blue and black stripes) but overall the details are well done. The details in the cockpit are really nice including the controls gauge, seat detail and the detail on the place where the vipers arms go. The overall cockpit canope is good too. The main negatives I have on it (which it wouldn't be a fair review if I didn't mention them) involve the actual practical question "how does this thing fly". Overall there's no obvious method of propultion. There is on the bottom an intake and a jet like downward blowing area which can sort of rationalize how it takes off and lands when the landing gear is down. However how it moves forward once the gear is up is another question which isn't so obvious. There are a few small bumps on the top and bottom of the tail which could be thrusters. But overall the main complaint here is one that most kids and people playing with it aren't going to think too much about. Once you start flying this thing around.. dropping bombs and shooting missiles... and staging a few crashes with the poor parachuteless Neo-Viper ejecting only to go splat... well.. how it manages to fly isn't as important.

Where did the interest come from?
    I had no intention of buying this vehicle until after I watched it in action in the VvV movie. Heck I had no plans to really buy any of the current vehicles (except that new Hummer) because I was going to mainly stick with buying certain figures and more importantly I don't have a ton of space for vehicles (which are usually big, and the small ones usually suck).

I guess the movie had a more profound response from me than even I expected. Now I really want more Battle Hornets and a few Tigerhawks .

I'm not a big collector in the GI Joe world. However, I think for some of this newer stuff... Hasbro is doing a good job.

My oldest Son's POV:
    I took my Battle Hornet home and let my oldest son check it out and wouldn't you know it totally appealed to him as well. He loved all the sounds, the way the bombs dropped, and that the missiles fired a good distance. The only complaints he had were we needed someone for it to fight (since it didn't look right fighting the Tomahawk ) ... and he didn't want to give it back.

Finale - If not for you for Christmas:
    If you're looking to get a kid into GI Joe without going overboard on big giant vehicles that are hard to find a place for and an overall bigger investment I suggest getting the Cobra Battle Hornet and a GI Joe Tigerhawk. Two vehicles that'll provide tons of play time, take up little space, and get a kid into GI Joe without overwhelming him (or her).

If you don't have the space for big vehicles but would like something smaller with a good variety of things it can do... this IMO is a great investment. I think overall a load of Tigerhawks could very well look nice on the Aircraft carrier as well. I think additionally a buch of Battle Hornets would make for an interesting low speed & low to the ground recon team as well as a good frontline attack vehicle for a larger army.

-nightc1

EDIT: Typos on Tigerhawk
    EDIT2: Had Neo-Viper as V7.. fixed to V8
    Last edited by nightc1; 09-21-2004 at 11:49 AM.
    :D Yo Joe! :D

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The Battle Hornet is garbage. Plain and simple.

An airplane with no wings or engines? Come on.

It was a wasteful diversion of time and resources that Hasbro could have used to make better vehicles.

That's all that needs to be said about the subject.
    Last edited by Agent Orange; 09-21-2004 at 11:58 AM.

Agent Orange... I thought the same thing till I saw it in action then actually bought one and took it out of the package.

Funny how even my opinion changed on it.

I think if you only collect GI Joe stuff and don't actually play with it or have kids that play with the stuff... certainly I can see why you'd never even want to own this vehicle. It looks stupid in the packaging. Yet... is great to play with.
    :D Yo Joe! :D

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

yeah i am not really into the colors, but i like the figure, and the design of the plane is pretty darn cool.
    the engines are in there somewhere (heheh).
    i like it!
    need 88 TF dusty crotch

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange
    The Battle Hornet is garbage. Plain and simple.

An airplane with no wings or engines? Come on.

It was a wasteful diversion of time and resources that Hasbro could have used to make better vehicles.

That's all that needs to be said about the subject.
    Way to be respectful of other people's opinions. Show some manners.
    Last edited by Cobra-La La Larry; 09-21-2004 at 01:06 PM.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra-La La Larry
    Way to be respectful of other people's opinions. Show some manners.
    I second that motion!

i agree with your review! it is my favorite vehicle of the new series. very well designed with features in mind. and i could easily see this as a tiger force repaint!

I wasn't sure I'd like it either, but I picked one up last week and I love it. Now I just need to get the VvsV DVD so I can see it in action!

Willard Ohio, home of Seattle Seahawks QB Charlie Frye
    Quote Originally Posted by joebahama
    I second that motion!
    Amen lol.

The colors ruined it for me though. Something about bright YELLOW makes me think the 90's neon is returning.

It would cool in a midnight blue, or maybe even a black and dark red like the Night Adder. I still think it looks more like a submarine but I like it.