JoeCon Custom Chef Process Post!

yojoe.com

JoeCon Custom Chef Process Post!

I figured I spent so long getting this figure ready for the YoJoe archives I might as well make a post showing how it came together.

Chef was a proposed 1987 G.I. Joe figure that evolved into Starduster, the mail-away figure from the G.I. Joe Action Stars cereal! The original artwork can be found here! This was the figure we would be making for the International G.I. Joe Collector’s Convention’s custom class for 2014. It’s the first time there’s been a directed build, and we’d have some new parts sculpted by Boss Fight Studios for us.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chef-e.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	210.5 KB 
ID:	43631

Here's the bagged set of parts cast by Alyosha with help from Raginspoon. Note that participants had to provide their own limbs. The head is cast from Lifeline, while the torso and waist are from Firefly. The neck was modified by Andrew of Boss Fight Studios to remove the turtleneck. Apparently, all he used was a dremel! Along with the body parts, we had some accessories, including Zandar's shoulder holster that Alyosha lengthened to fit around the larger torso.

Name:	_DSC0939.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	43641

I assembled my figure parts prior to painting, just to get a feel for the figure. I chose Flint's arms, while the legs are a combination of Cobra Commander, Snake Eyes, and Elite-Viper.

Name:	_DSC0970.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	43651

After painting, I realized the arms weren’t working. The shoulder joints didn’t agree with the torso, and the skin tone really didn’t match the head. I also wasn’t liking painting the neck with the loaner tools in the class, so I decided to hold off on that until I got home. This was as far as I got during the convention.

Name:	2014-04-13-22.38.09.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	201.1 KB 
ID:	43661

I picked up a Joe Colton from the convention’s dealer room for his arms. I kept Flint’s gloved hands, as gloved hands were part of the original artwork. With my own brushes and paints, I felt more comfortable tackling the neck, too.

Name:	2014-04-15-20.32.17.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	43671

The next day I finally applied the waterslide decal we were given as a tattoo for Chef. I definitely procrastinated on this step! Partly because I wanted to scan the decal in for the archives, but mostly because waterslide decals scare me. Let’s just say this was the first successful application of one I’ve ever done, and leave it at that.

Name:	Chef-h.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	43781

After rounding up some Testor’s Model Masters paints in the colors used in the custom class, I was able to touch up some scratches made during the journey home. Chef is finally ready for his YoJoe close-up.

NOTE: ORIGINAL ARTWORK REMOVED BY REQUEST.
    Last edited by RedClaw; 04-25-2014 at 10:05 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Poverty's Paradise NM - Home of the Nuclear Holocaust, Green Chile, Pink Skies, & Blue Meth...
    That's a beauty.
    I'M A MAC

NEEDED: SDCC Gold PDD, SDCC Blue Suited CC, SDCC TTT SGT. Slaughter, SDCC Starscream, SDCC Shockwave, FSS Nano BATs, FSS Desert Scorpions & FSS CGIs, MISB/UNUSED MIB M.A.S.K. stuff, a factory tachometer for a 65 Chevy Impala, lawyers, guns & money...

Want LiSSt...

TOP FIVE:
    Dondi CIA
    Bates AIO
    Dream TDK
    Jepsy TRD
    Bob Ross PBS

Is the the Original Artwork that was Removed? STA: Gi-Joe: Unproduced "Chef" Artwork
    I want your Crystal Balls<P>My Site <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/g_i_nova/index" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/g_i_nova/index</A><P>Yeah, you like That: <A HREF="http://wolf.webcruiser.org/index.php?ref=228625" TARGET=_blank>http://wolf.webcruiser.org/index.php?ref=228625</A>

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Chef Tur Around

Thought I could share this art turn around since you had deleted the original art.