YoJoe Interviews IDW G.I. Joe #1 Cover Artist Jeffrey Veregge

yojoe.com

YoJoe Interviews IDW G.I. Joe #1 Cover Artist Jeffrey Veregge

First and foremost, big thanks to Ted "Skinny" Jacobson for reaching out to Mr. Veregge and providing this excellent interview!

Interview with Jeffrey Veregge

I was reading some of the buzz about the new art for the cover of GIJOE issue number one coming in September. Intrigued I decided to go straight to the source to find out just what was behind the design of this unique new vision of GIJOE art. So I took to twitter and Jeffrey was kind enough to answer some questions. Thank You Jeffrey for sparing a few minutes of your busy schedule.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GIJOE_s401_cvr.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	325.1 KB 
ID:	46391
    Skinny: Jeffrey Veregge, could you tell us a little about the inspiration for your #GIJOE 1 cover?

JV: In what capacity? I would love to.

Skinny: It seems to be an homage to 60's movie posters? or is it deeper than that?

JV: No, you got some of it. A little pulpy, a little Saul Bass, along with my Salish geek form line. The original texture seen on the packaging of the large GI Joe figures inspired the colors & textures.

Skinny: It does make for a very vibrant unique style. So the shapes inside the body are inherently Native American? or is it your interpretation of your tribe’s traditional art?

JV: They are, as I am Native, They're not 100% pure as I do a contemporary style that blends with my graphic design background

Skinny: I am checking out your Geek Tyrant interview as we converse so forgive me if I sound un-informed, I am learning as we go.

JV: No problem, I love questions & talking about my art

Skinny: there are some Native American Joes, I would love to see your versions of them. Spirit, Airborne, etc...

JV: As a lifelong Joe fan this has been a dream, working w/ the characters that Larry Hama developed so well, can't wait to do more

Skinny: That makes two of us I have been a Joefan since '82. Did you also design the font for the cover? The fall of GIJOE?

JV: I did

Skinny: And the shattered star represents the plight of this new future (6 years after issue 15) GIJOE team?

JV: It Does. I was hooked when I was in the 4th grade seeing the cover of #24, thinking there are Ninjas in GI joe?

Skinny: That is one of my favorite issues (tweeted a picture of Cobra Commander with a straw from issue 24)

JV: YES!!! when CC was in the cabin, loved it. I would say 24, 25, 26, 27 were my favorites. In honor of my 1st #1cover I am going to get something I have always wanted: the Arashikage tattoo

Skinny: Now that is a true Joefan!. I want to thank you for your time, and I should let you get back to work. It was awesome of you to provide some insight as to the genesis for the new cover.

JV: No problem, anytime, as I am still a huge comic & action figure fan, and love talking shop.

You can follow Jeffrey Veregge and Skinny on twitter

@JeffreyVeregge
    @skinnyjoefan
    Managing Editor YoJoe.com
    Webmaster GeneralsJoes.com
    Reviews, News, and Opinions

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by General_Hawk View Post
    ...And the shattered star represents the plight of this new future (6 years after issue 15) GIJOE team?
    "6 years"??? Say wha'?!?