IDW GIJOE ARAH number 204

yojoe.com

IDW GIJOE ARAH number 204

***possible spoilers in thread*****

issue 204.
    misleading cover.
    Burkhart calls herself old. She certainly is not drawn old though.
    I would maybe call her a bit naive, as long as she has been around, she refuses to accept the fact that the insurgents are "the bad guys" and even makes excuses for them. I am with the Joes I can see things in Black and White. Too often in current pop culture writers like to present everything as gray. Just my humble opinion though. Later on she is confronted with the truth of what happened at that village and she still is ambivalent.
    This issue has a chase scene. Keeps on talking about the insurgents splitting up.
    Not sure how Torp thinks he and Long Range have an advantage when they are sitting ducks and have the low ground when the insurgents are above them.

The scene with Cobra Commander, forgetting that Destro can see and hear his every move, makes me wonder if it is not better for CC to just move!
    It was a tasty bit with Dr. Mindbender telling Cobra Commander his injuries were the same as Road Pig and Zarana's with an additional bonus.

Crimson Guard activity on a political campaign.
    That scene with Zoe and Chloe was just...awkward. I want to see the CG family and friends group counseling session.

Clutch, flying a drone, I find that interesting because I just watched a documentary from Nova where it said that having pilot training actually hampers the person flying a drone. It is better for them to NOT have pilot training. Our favorite VAMP driver could fit right into the pilot's seat. If he likes video games... I think in that regard, Grand Slam, Flash or SciFi may have been better choices for drone pilots.

Letters
    one of the letters was from (I believe; our own PFF) asking to include Pathfinder, which met with the response that since Larry did not write that filecard, it was unlikely, and he felt Muskrat fit that role anyway.
    I know Larry cannot cram in every favorite character of people who request it, I get that. It simply would be overwhelming.
    However to say that because he did not write the filecard and that the role that character would play is already filled? I just do not agree with it.

If I had this huge catalog of characters at my disposal I would at least entertain the idea of using a new character at one point or another.
    Larry has written for characters he had nothing to do with before, in other titles he has worked on. I just don't see his logic. Respect his opinion and it is his choice on how he writes, but it is a little confusing.

Unless he is referring to Pathfinder Sub Zero and others who have some characterization in the cartoon DIC series, but he readily admits he has never seen the cartoon either. He writes for characters that were in the Sunbow toon and just ignores that characterization so how would Pathfinder be any different?

I guess I would have liked a better explanation but what do you expect when he only gets a couple sentences on a letter page right?
    Last edited by skinny; 07-09-2014 at 08:31 PM. Reason: timed out

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Yeah skinny that was me hahaha. Needless to say, I was not impressed either. And thats putting it midly. I was pissed off! His logic is flawed. I mean, wouldn't that logic also apply to Ambush? He's from the same year, and his filecard requires a little more suspension of disbelief. And yet, Ambush has appeared numerous times in both this new series and the old Marvel line.

Larry also seemed to imply that Pathfinder is a carbon-copy of Muskrat. Well, again, by that logic, the same could be said in comparing Muskrat to Recondo!

Here's the e-mail I sent in reply. I hope it gets printed. I want others to see the flaws in his logic and how unfair it is to have others get their requests fulfilled and not mine.

Dear Mr. Hama,

I was surprised to see your response since I didn't think it'd be replied to.

Needless to say it was not the response I was hoping for.

Since you say that you remember characters by their filecards that you wrote, then shouldn't that same logic apply to Ambush? By that, I mean Ambush and Pathfinder are from the same year(1990), so doesn't it stand to reason that if you didn't write Pathfinder's filecard, the same can be said for Ambush? And yet, Ambush has been in both the current IDW line and the old Marvel issues. Also, Pathfinder's card seems like one you wrote as it sounds more realistic whereas with Ambush, his requires more suspension of disbelief.

I still would like to see Pathfinder appear sometime, even if he seems to be a "carbon-copy" of Muskrat as you say, to which I respectfully disagree. That would really make me happy. Perhaps if I said that Pathfinder is a hero to me, since I was in grade four, maybe you'll understand why I'd like to see him featured. Muskrat wasn't on any of the series' so I don't have the same 'hero-worship' for him as I do Pathfinder. Also, it's not right that other fans get their request for a character they like to appear, but not me.

Sarah.
    Last edited by Pathfinder_fan; 07-10-2014 at 11:55 AM.
    "Well whaddaya know? Cobra Commander's personal chemistry set!"

My Wish List: http://forums.yojoe.com/wanted/82931...wish-list.html

#######

Quote Originally Posted by skinny View Post
    issue 204.
    misleading cover...
    Have to agree. The last cover was the same. It had nothing to do with Zarana beating Dr. Mindbender.
    On this particular cover we have a wounded (or dead?) Long Range, downed by a hooded cobra (are they even indigenous to the Middle East?). Not only is Long Range not hurt in this issue, but the cover of next issue shows him aiding the Tomahawk rescue team while administering first aid to an unidentified someone (who by process of elimination is obvious, if the cover truly reveals the contents of the inside).
    Curious...
    Not my favorite issue, though I do enjoy Hama's vocal dissemination of military actions in the field shared between Long Range and Torpedo (since I never served, I'm not aware of a lot this). In reality, their word play is probably redundant, since I'm sure both men are extremely aware of what they should and shouldn't do during diverse situations in the field, and wouldn't need to keep reminding each other of what needed accomplished (like "finishing their water and chucking it").
    Last edited by seaneley; 07-10-2014 at 04:01 PM. Reason: typos

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I think OllieStan, which I think is an homage to Laurel and Hardy, is closer to the area we would find Pakistan and Afghanistan. Somewhere in Asia.
    Pashto, the language Duke wants a translator for, is spoken in both of those countries.

By the way, I also wanted to add that if anyone can back me up, I would appreciate it loads. Thanks.

#######

Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder_fan View Post
    By the way, I also wanted to add that if anyone can back me up, I would appreciate it loads. Thanks.
    Consider it done... but I've already written 3 short letters asking questions and not seen print (keeps fingers crossed).

Quote Originally Posted by skinny View Post
    I think OllieStan, which I think is an homage to Laurel and Hardy, is closer to the area we would find Pakistan and Afghanistan. Somewhere in Asia.
    Pashto, the language Duke wants a translator for, is spoken in both of those countries.
    Good call. Alpine also mentions the fictional countries of Prupistan and Rudatistan and the Bozigian River which are also in this location. Bob Prupis was Marketing Director of Basic Toys for Hasbro in the '80s. Ron Rudat was a RAH artist for Hasbro. Kirk Bozigian was a product manager for Hasbro back in the day. Coincidence? You decide...

Quote Originally Posted by seaneley View Post
    Consider it done... but I've already written 3 short letters asking questions and not seen print (keeps fingers crossed).
    Well, you keep at it until you make a dent. Thanks man. I don't know if any of you play Battleground, but Pathfinder gets more respect there. The game's creators gave his card a higher rarity than Muskrat.
    Last edited by Pathfinder_fan; 07-11-2014 at 12:08 PM.

#######

I have written every issue as far back as I can remember from Marvel to IDW, I think I had one or two printed, my name printed once. Then again lately I have written regarding plot threads so of course no reply. It is just fun and now, practically a monthly tradition.