Why are Snow Serpents going for so much $$$? - Page 11

yojoe.com

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFox91 View Post
    Oh please, not a "lets count" thread. That mind numbing content should just stay over at that other forum.
    Team: I'm purchasing the active float, whatever that number ends up being. Once they stop trading on the various markets I buy in, I will have learned what I need to know. Whatever that number will be it will be. I say 300,000 because I am willing to commit another 5 million to this project. But it is doubtful (even though I like to set goals) that it will happen.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Oh please, not a "lets count" thread. That mind numbing content should just stay over at that other forum.
    Not sure which forum you are referring to but by the sound of it, your comment would fit right there. I was just trying to make a suggestion and you could have a) ignored it or b) said something a bit more nice or constructive like "its been tried before at "whatever-forum" but wasnt useful etc.
    Best Regards
    StkhlmDK

Check out http://www.action-force.dk if you want to see my GI Joe/Action Force collection
    YoJoe Collection Profile: http://www.yojoe.com/members/YOJOE0016251
    Flickr Account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/95647335@N07/

I've been a O-Ring GI Joe Fan since they 1st came out when I was a Kid,and I still have all my 1st Straight Arms plus the Swivels & Vehicles up to 1985.And I started Collecting GI Joe as an Adult in 1997,and I stick to O-Ring only.And from the early to mid 2000's I heavily Collected Army Builders,and Snow Serpents were 1 of them.I remember getting complete Figures for around 10 bucks,and so I have around 40 or so in my Collection.And I get the Collecting part of all of this,but that's where it ends.I've been around GI Joe Collecting for a while now so I've seen a lot of Crazy & weird things, but this is by far the Dumbest thing I've heard of! And that's saying something!! If you would have said you were Collecting Snow Serpents just for the Love of the Figure,and the Love of Collecting I'd be all for it & say Buy all you can.But saying that this is mostly for some type of Unscientific Cockamamie Experiment it way out there....
    Last edited by 4-Cobra; 08-30-2014 at 04:26 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I know the threads of which he speaks, and your idea is a little different than those and more focused, but the threads he refers to are pretty pointless and to be honest, I don't participate in those. I think the fear is that it could devolve into that type of thread. The threads are like "Lets count Night Vipers! and then each person says how many they have and adds that to the previous posters number etc.
    Back on topic.
    I think it is very profound that someone in the community actually noticed the disparity and the surge of snow serpents being sold.
    I personally rarely buy vintage stuff, I might buy something to make a dio or replace a broken part, even then I keep my original! I prefer my childhood collection, so Erich won't get one particular Snow Serpent for sure, that is unless he wants to barter. Anything for a price. My price is funding my many productions. It would be a very expensive Snow Serpent. Ha.
    It just goes to show that there are some very vigilant members of this hobby.
    Last edited by skinny; 08-30-2014 at 06:01 PM. Reason: stressed a point

I'm not at all surprised the books didn't happen. I got the privilege of seeing her collection in person during the 2008 convention. She really spoke with a passion for the hobby during the tour. But honestly, she probably had too much passion in the form of obsession. I never saw the books getting completed because she was never going to complete the collection. There was always some rare and obscure item that had to be procured because of the desire to make it complete. I wish she had drawn a line somewhere and said no more. I think she tried to do that, but it didn't succeed. Having let it go she is probably far happier in life because she doesn't have the metal chains holding her down. It can sound silly, but this happens and it is hard to break. But the good news is that you are going to see more of those rare and obscure things for sale if you want to take a shot at them yourself.

piquasvintagetoychest that is all.

Back on topic, I too would love to hear progress updates as they are available. Eric, Are you seeing a lot of figures with broken thumbs? Wonder of the plastic is holding up better than the 1982-1984 stuff.
    Take it easy,

Drew

Vintage, International, 25th and ROC WANT List: http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.p...821#post468821

Quote Originally Posted by darthdrew13 View Post
    piquasvintagetoychest that is all.

Back on topic, I too would love to hear progress updates as they are available. Eric, Are you seeing a lot of figures with broken thumbs? Wonder of the plastic is holding up better than the 1982-1984 stuff.
    Hardly any broken thumbs on 85 stuff..some yellowing...one interesting thing is I can always tell if the snow serpent comes from a smokers house...somehow the figure absorbs the smoke...weird...loose joints are common...

going through my collection all 3 of my snow serpents yellowed do to i believe attic heat, but... there is a store in mass and RI that sells loose figures, they had white and yellowed ones ranging 3-7.99 with only back packs. i had to get one, problem is my childhood blue pouch strap ripped so ill have to hunt down one of those so he is complete. They had one in the show case complete 19.99

I would do the same thing as Eric, but with Modern era figures! I thought my collection of over 4000 pieces was huge and he has over 32,000 of one figure!!! LOL

Eric, do you know how many overall pieces are in your collection?

Quote Originally Posted by erichpersson View Post
    There are many buyers as yourself with various contacts and purchase power. You are absolutely crucial to what I am working on. A publically traded stock typically has three types of owners, the first is the majority holder who owns or runs the company. They can only sell their stock once, and which point they no longer own the company. As a result those shares are known as private blocks and do not trade frequently. The second type is an institutional investor, Think Goldman Sachs or Morgan Stanley. They are professional investors who typically hold from one to ten years depending on the growth trajectory and maturity of the business enterprise. The third kind are individual buyers, they buy and sell frequently and typically make up around 20% of the total stock....they usually have the least amount of information purchase in very small quantities and are most like a buyer on ebay...you sound like the second type of buyer....without the snow serpent market having these three types of buyers I wouldn't be able to utilize them for what I am attempting to better understand....since only 20% of the snow serpents are probably trading hands, price fluctuation has and will occur...the ones that have been lost or thrown away are the base and most similar to the first type of stock owner since they won't change hands....so thank you for being a buyer, and participating in this process!
    This sort of talk has me thinking your sympathies lie with the Crimson Guard and their financial chicanery and diabolism Perhaps you should have went the CG route over the SS route At any rate, this has been one of the best threads Ive read whilst a member of the forum and I thank and respect everyones contributions to the discussion.

Best regards
    CC
    I'm into Heavy Metal, mayhem and explosions.....

Quote Originally Posted by Currahee_Chris View Post
    At any rate, this has been one of the best threads Ive read whilst a member of the forum and I thank and respect everyones contributions to the discussion.
    Must agree with this statement.
    Each day I've seen this topic growing so I thought today, 'what the heck, I'll read the entire thread', and must say: WOW! Quite a thread, quite an experience.