Why are Snow Serpents going for so much $$$? - Page 6

yojoe.com

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Retail-viper View Post
    Hi Erich,

Congrats on being so successful with your life that you can indulge yourself like this. I for one applaud you and wish you all the best with your venture.
    Never ever listen to the cry's of the poor and wretched who unfortunately make up a large number of the rank and file of Joe fandom, they just want to drag you down to their food stamp level existance.

Now how about a pic of all those snow serpents, dont be a stevie d!
    Who is Stevie D? I promise that once I'm done and they have been cataloged I will put them all together in a massive snow serpent picture that I will fathead.Com on canvas and put on my wall and post here for everyone to see!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hi Erich, I am not sure I really follow your motivation behind this but as any other collector I am curious to see them all lined up once you get the time for it

Oh, and when you start to sell out I could use 22 figures to complete my humble army-building (trying to get 20-30 of each "vintage" Cobra trooper character)
    Best Regards
    StkhlmDK

Check out http://www.action-force.dk if you want to see my GI Joe/Action Force collection
    YoJoe Collection Profile: http://www.yojoe.com/members/YOJOE0016251
    Flickr Account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/95647335@N07/

Eric,
    Dude, you are nuts! But I know a couple other folks who are nuts as well so that isn't an insult, more of props to you for going after something so hard core. One of the questions I have is, since the sample size is sooooo HUGE, are you seeing variants in the figures received? Errors? Percentage of them that yellowed over time? This is the kind of data that some folks may not think about but would really be beneficial to collectors as far as understanding running changes, errors in the run, paint applications as a run goes on. etc.

For me, I have 1 measly complete Snow Serpent and a few extra accessories. I'm going to hold on to him for the moment because I just completed him at JoeCon (Thanks berean3906!).

How long do you think you will be able to keep this process up? Is there a WAG on when you think the project will be complete enough to declare it is finished?

Argumentative comments aside, this is a cool thread and interesting even to discuss.
    Take it easy,

Drew

Vintage, International, 25th and ROC WANT List: http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.p...821#post468821

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Erich,
    How do you know the production number? Or is that just an estimate? Someone purchased 20 or 30 snow serpents off of me a year or two ago. I wonder if it was you?

And its your money, spend it on what you want! You worked for it. Although, personally, I would have picked a different figure.

Fun!!!
    Curchs vintage toy paradise
    http://stores.ebay.com/CURCHS-VINTAG...ARADISE?_rdc=1

Vehicle/Playset/Parts/Box/Blueprints Want List:
    http://forums.yojoe.com/wanted/84793...tml#post520554

Figure/Parts/File Card Want List:
    http://forums.yojoe.com/wanted/83034...want-list.html

Quote Originally Posted by erichpersson View Post
    Just email me any time you have anything 85 snow serpent related...I will obviously buy everything you get!!
    Pm sent!

Guys, I know it's a free country and people are able to do what they please, but I can't believe that people are endorsing this behaviour......Think of where this money could be better spent: ALS research, cancer research, AIDS research, but it is going to action figures......ACTION FIGURES!!!! Do we really care that much about yellowing or variants???

Sorry to sound like a tool, but it just seems a bit crazy to me.
    "Why ask why?" - Al Bundy

Maybe he just Reeeaaallly loves Snow Serpents.

(Edit - Okay, I just read the previous posts, and realize that my comment makes no sense in this context).
    Last edited by Katana; 08-27-2014 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scrapiron View Post
    Guys, I know it's a free country and people are able to do what they please, but I can't believe that people are endorsing this behaviour......Think of where this money could be better spent: ALS research, cancer research, AIDS research, but it is going to action figures......ACTION FIGURES!!!! Do we really care that much about yellowing or variants???

Sorry to sound like a tool, but it just seems a bit crazy to me.
    But it isn't your money. Why do you speak like it is? Before going down the charity path, look up the financial records of those charities. You will find most of them spend more money on their own executive salaries and other misc stuff than they do on the actual cause they claim to support. If they found a cure for breast cancer, everyone at Susan G Komen would be out of a job.

Again his money to do with as he pleases. And somewhere down the road we can possibly look forward to getting Snow Serpent armies for a lot less than the going rate right now. I love the Snow Serpent. If I could get 10 for a good price, I would jump on it.

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox91 View Post
    But it isn't your money. Why do you speak like it is? Before going down the charity path, look up the financial records of those charities. You will find most of them spend more money on their own executive salaries and other misc stuff than they do on the actual cause they claim to support. If they found a cure for breast cancer, everyone at Susan G Komen would be out of a job.

Again his money to do with as he pleases. And somewhere down the road we can possibly look forward to getting Snow Serpent armies for a lot less than the going rate right now. I love the Snow Serpent. If I could get 10 for a good price, I would jump on it.

Please re-read the part of my last response that reads: "They are only ACTON FIGURES!!!" We shouldn't care THAT much about Snow Serpents. His money to do with as he pleases, yes, but if you could choose to spend extra cash on ALS or 30,000 action figures, what would you do? Legal versus ethical.....that's why the human race is in such a sorry state. How would you feel if you saw someone in Canada literally setting fire to hundreds of thousands of American dollars (as it would be illegal for someone to do that in America, and vice versa)? Even if they have the right, wouldn't it be a terrible waste?
    "Why ask why?" - Al Bundy

It's a slippery slope when you start to tell people how they should be spending their money. You could pick the "ethical" fight with everything from designer clothes, to jewelry, to luxury cars, to even daily spendings that are not essential but add up over time. Spending a lot of money on action figures is an easy target for the ethical fight, because many people are predisposed to believing that adults buying action figures are a waste of money, because they can't see the inherent value in it, and find it absurd, especially when it crosses their personal limit of excess.

Instead of buying that BMW, someone could by the Honda, and donate the rest to charity. Instead of the Nikes, someone could by cheap target shoes. Instead of the diamond engagement ring, someone could by a dollar store ring etc… There are a lot of ways people spend money on non-essentials in daily life, and the money that pays for those things could go towards charity. If you're going to tell someone it's unethical to spend a lot of money on Snow Serpents, you should cut out all the nonessential spending you personally do, and donate it all the charity, and that includes things like going to the movies, buying wine, eating out at nice eateries, buying brand name items etc…

For all we know, this guy could save all his money in other areas of his life, and only be spending it on Snow Serpents. The only thing I find problematic about it is that all this buying leaves less inventory for fans who don't have a tone of money, who truly want to get their hands on a Snow Serpent. But that could be said for a mint complete Storm Shadow, or some other expensive figure.

(edit - again, just read the rest of this topic and realize that some of my post does not make sense)
    Last edited by Katana; 08-27-2014 at 01:58 AM.